Arthritis. Which is better - pulls / handles / or knobs on drawers & cabinets?
apple tree
Also, I'm looking for quality cabinet hardware (no cheap stuff!).
Ideas? Brands? Costs? Where to buy?
Thanks.
Shawn Lagemann
That depends on the style of either one. Pulls tend to be easier if the extension is large enough that you can get your fingers in and out easily, the larger spread for screw placement helps,4" or so. There are many great brands that make solid hardware. I am a fan of "top knobs". You can purchase them online, or for your purpose; I might think about going to a cabinet or locks and pulls supplier so you can feel the difference between the choices and check some out to try.
December 13, 2012 at 2:43pm   
apple tree
4", good idea. Also, I've read where with thermofoil cabinets (which tend to use pressed/particle board, that screws tend to go unloose after wear and tear. What would be something more sturdy to hold the hardware in place? Thanks.
December 13, 2012 at 2:45pm   
Shawn Lagemann
They do use MDF for thermofiol cabinets. Screws for double demountable hinges tend to create more of a problem that the pull/knob hardware. It's the side to side motion on drawers and the gravity up/down for doors that works the hinge screw loose. Larger drawers 24" wide+ should have 2 pulls to evenly distribute the weight of the drawer when pulled out. Otherwise you should be fine.
December 13, 2012 at 3:02pm   
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Most cabinet companies now offer a push-push option. Just pressure on the drawer or door and it will open. No knobs or pulls needed.
December 13, 2012 at 4:29pm     
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Need help with paint color
I am painting my stucco house Benjamin MooreJute AF...
Recessing lighting placement on large covered patio
I have attached a diagram of how I think the lighting/fans...
Refurbish old doors or buy new?
We plan on renovating our 70 year old house and love...
Celiling Paint
Should I paint my ceilings the same white as my walls?...