Lighting for my staircase
Colleen Katz
I am looking for suggestions for lighting our staircase. Would like something on the wall and recessed. These lights can't get hot as they would be left on at night. Sort of like night lights. Thanks!
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
We use the standard old recessed stair lights with 25W bulbs and leave them on all night. No problem. Get at local electrical supply.
December 14, 2012 at 3:52am   
Baltimore Architectural Detail LLC
There are a really wide variety of lower wattage rope lighting arrangements or LED surface / recessed fixtures which are A) cool to the touch, B) dimmable and C) available to simply plug in. If you are looking for really quick, really simple, look to the MALIBU brand of outside low-voltage halogen or LED lighting. They make surface mount fixtures intending for decking, like mounting to a railing post and washing the floor with light, many of the fixtures are available in black or white, round or square.
December 14, 2012 at 4:21am   
Shawn Lagemann
There is a company called "hole in the wall" that makes recessed directional lights that are very discreet. I agree with Baltimore that outdoor lighting is a great option. I used it in my own home with LED fixtures. The transformer is mounted in the mechanical room and is on an astrological timer. No heat with LED, very little energy usage. My old house had the wall lights with the 25watt bulb, and they were left on all of the time so bulbs were burnt out constantly. An LED buld will last up to 15 years. FYI, I mounted the fixture on the overhang of the tread, not on the wall.
December 14, 2012 at 6:01am   
Baltimore Architectural Detail LLC
OK that is such a cool company name I have to look them up!
December 14, 2012 at 6:23am   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I think the company is ELP (Engineered Lighting Products) and here's a link to the product: http://www.elplighting.com/features/feature_hitc.html
December 14, 2012 at 6:56am   
Colleen Katz
Thanks for all the great ideas!
December 14, 2012 at 11:43am   

This company says it is an easy DIY project. I am no judge of anything DIY, but thought I would share my search. :>)
December 14, 2012 at 12:02pm   
Baltimore Architectural Detail LLC
hmmmm.... I suppose DIY is defined differently by everyone. This looks distinctly not DIY. As a rule and as a pro... if it involves electricity which can kill you or plumbing which can flood your home and ruin a lot, I try not to describe something as DIY.

That said, those are really pretty!
December 14, 2012 at 12:14pm   
Undermount sink questions
We've got an undermount sink installed in out granite...
Bedroom needs color etc!
This is our new master bedroom....first, the armoire...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
Can cabinets be stained white instead of painted?
Getting custom cabinetry. Saw work in other homes....