PLEASE HELP MAKEOVER MASTER BATHROOM!
anyanick
December 15, 2012 in Before & After
Dear All!

We have bought a new house, relatively new 2002 but our bathroom style seems like from the 90's to us.
We are both in our 30's and would like a more contemporary/transitional bathroom. We are doing a complete gut job anyway ( redoing the tiles, putting in radiant heat, new rectangular tub and new - more contemporary faucets and shower bodies). Our layout will stay the same though. Our main concern is choice of Design - spa, traditional, contemporary, etc... The more I dlook at this website the more I like the transitional/contemporary style and our bathroom is far from that.
We both like earthy tones ( creme, beige, browns, tan) as our pallette.
Please give us ideas on the following topics or all at once
1. What can be done to the cabinets to change them into more transitional/contemporary look - change knobs, countertop, sink, faucet, etc...)
2. What should be the sh oice of tile to make the room look bright, roomy, yet serene and calm with above colors in mind ( we both like our stones - travertine or marble is our favorite- any specific suggestions)
3. Does making the floor and walls the same color work, or should there be contrast?
4. Assuming we keep this color cabinets ( cherry) or just buy new set - more m odern - espresso - what would be the best floor tile to give great contrast and make the cabinets"pop?"
5. If we do get the new cabinets, what style looks best with a steam shower, rectangular 6 ft tub and a spa look?
6. If anyone willing to comment on all of these, PLEASE, PLEASE do, as we desperately need help from HOUZZ community!!! WIll appreciate any and all ideas!!!
If you are going to gut the bathroom definately hire a designer! If you want to save some cash I think you can salvage the cabinets with new hardware and install a contemporary square sink and update the faucets and get fabulous mirrors over the sinks. (Keep those beveled mirrors tho! they are valuable and will look good elsewhere painted silver, or whatever). For a spa look I think teak wood and floating vanities and wall hug toilets are beautiful., But again. If you are gutting, hire a designer to get the whole "story board" design instead of piece meal suggestions here! Congrats on your new home!
December 15, 2012 at 8:55pm     
wmpj
An espresso finish for the cabinets would look great. You could either replace them or have them refaced. I would go with rectangular sinks to match the shape of the tub. They would also give you the contemporary look you like. The faucets should have an angular/square look as well. I'm thinking something like these:
http://www.moen.com/premium/bathroom/collection/90%20Degree

Travertine would look good for the floor and walls. Make sure you have an area to store towels and linens and a place to hang a towel bar.
December 16, 2012 at 10:26am   
My Bathroom desperately needs a makeover rescue, please help.
The wall tile is coming off the wall, the floor needs...
Please help w/ bathroom makeover!
Would to update floor and wall tiles (and vanity and...
master bathroom needs a new look. Please help.
I need help with my 20 years old master bathroom. ...
Please Help: Master Bathroom
Just bought this house--the previous owners did a wonderful...
Master Bathroom Plan Please help
We are stuck on how to rearrange the plan for our master...
Pros and Cons - Apartments vs. Houses
Have you lived in both an apartment and a house? What...
Bathroom-indecisive
I can't decide if I should go with a glossy, marbly...
How should I bring some life and spunk in this room?
I live in an apartment in Mumbai, Infia. Here, like...
need help with paint colors for kitchen and living room
We've been in our house for 5 years now and i am sick...