What to do about dining room storage closet doors
susanrl
I just moved into a house that has a small dining room that feels very enclosed. The space is 18 x 12 and has 2 doorways one off the kitchen and one off the entryway. I am going to remove those doors so that it feels more open. The room also has great closet storage space but I do not like the closet doors. I think I may remove current doors and do sliding frosted glass---Any other thoughts??
I like the frosted glass idea. If you own, can you close one door with drywall and open the other to twice the current size?
December 16, 2012 at 9:03am     
janishill
Can you post pictures from other angles? That would help us to give good advice. :-)

Can you take a leaf or two out of the table and use the extra chairs in another room?

Cloth chair covers would immediately soften the look. Add a table runner and centerpiece to continue making it feel like an inviting space.
December 16, 2012 at 9:06am     
Andrea Shink
I happened to measure my D/R yesterday: 12' X 13', so your size is great! I would find a great big mirror and a chandelier that I love to start with. are there any windows in the room? I don't mind the mural or whatever that is at the back. Perhaps incorporate the paint colors by pulling out one of those colors? expand the doorway as suggested above. Good luck! new homes are fun projects!!
December 16, 2012 at 9:10am   
designmuse
Do you need closets in your dining room? Perhaps take off doors and convert closet to built in with some open and some closed cabinets to store/display china, stemware, etc. --kind of like dining room built in units in older homes? Also, not sure about the recess lighting. A nice chandelier over the table would be nice. I agree -- table is too big for room.
December 16, 2012 at 9:11am     
designmuse

Sample photo of built in idea
December 16, 2012 at 9:18am   
susanrl
I am going to attach more pics so you can see the angles. I thought about opening up some of the storage but as of now it is somewhat messy storage. I guess I can change that.
I do have the Paris Chandelier from my old house which I will install but wanted to first do whatever painting and construction needed to be done.
Also, I will take out a leaf in the table. I could take out both leaves and then it would be round. I think the table is too wide for the room but it is what I own and I really love it....
December 16, 2012 at 9:28am   
S&K Interiors
I agree with designmuse, definitely get rid of the closet.
.. It will add to the size of the room and then do built-ins or a china cabinet.
December 16, 2012 at 9:31am   
susanrl
Thank you for all of your comments.

I dont think closing and opening doorways will work because I like keeping the doorway open to the kitchen but I don't want it too open and I think if I close the other door it will feel so claustrophobic? I may just open both meaning take off the doors. I am not sure it's ideal but it may work.
December 16, 2012 at 9:49am     
janishill
I still don't see the closet doors. :-)

I agree. Your table is gorgeous, but a round table would be more in proportion to the room.

Have you thought about removing the solid doors and adding 15 pane doors? You could even have frosted glass so the light comes through but guests can't see straight into the kitchen.

When you add drapery panels hang them high and wide (see illustration)
December 16, 2012 at 3:02pm   
susanrl
The closet doors have the silver wallpaper on them. So I really want the room to feel less claustrophobic and thought if I replaced the doors with a more open look- Pane doors or frosted- the room would feel larger--am I just dreaming?
Thanks for the drapery idea. I think that will certainly add more light. I may have to put a very sheer shade over the window though since it is kind of a bad view.
December 16, 2012 at 3:57pm     
This idea may work for you. Remove it all and then do a cab on either side and recess the middle with good lighting over top. It will also give you a serving bar. A crystal chandelier give you beautiful lighting without overpowering the space.

December 16, 2012 at 4:09pm     
bookwench
urbsuburb, your idea of removing the doors in the doorways is a good place to start (why would anyone need to close off a dining room?). I also like the idea of removing the doors from the closet and opening it up--you will gain square footage. If you need the storage, a built-in buffet and even glass-fronted wall cabinets for displaying beautiful china and stemware would be nice. I also love your table but agree it's massive. Take out the leaves and make it a round until you need to seat large numbers of people (looks like it could seat 12!). Also a hanging chandelier is a must.
December 16, 2012 at 4:36pm     
janishill
I like judyg's idea, but if you need the space for storage why not add 15 pane doors with mirrors?
December 16, 2012 at 5:22pm   
msmuscle
Your table is lovely, but even with your changes I do not see how the table will ever fit comfortably in this room--it's too large and from the pics feels very claustrophobic to me. If you love the table and use it often at the size that it is, perhaps you could move it into your living room space (which I assume comes off of the kitchen somewhere), and make this smaller room an intimate living room type space? It depends on your lifestyle and how you accommodate people in your home.
December 16, 2012 at 6:36pm   
I'd remove the closet doors and replace whatever shelves are there with a buffet with a mirror above it,
or possibly with a mirrored wall behind it and a mirror hung over the mirrored wall.
December 16, 2012 at 7:21pm     
What should we do about the bathroom closet doors?
We are remodeling our 80's bathroom and will update...
What do you find interesting about this dining room?
Thank you for your feedback! http://www.houzz.com/photos/684608/Extraordinary-home-designed-and-built-by-Fratantoni-Luxury-Estates-modern-dining-room-phoenix Vince...
What is the storage area between the closet doors.?
Is the storage area between the closet doors drawers...
Building a kitchen into living room
I am building a modest home for my family of four,...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
Is it okay to mix cool tones (exterior) and warm tones (interior)?
We are building a new Colonial style home and are considering...
Help! Trying to choose exterior paint colors
Need to paint the upper body and trim of our home,...