I NEED HELP WITH MY LIVING ROOM
pansy2
Hi I need help with this living room. The TV is off centre, but has to stay.
None of the furniture is staying. I am purchasing a leather lounge suite preferably in taupe..not sure of the style..thinking 2 chairs and a 3 seater with chaise. The room is 8 metres x 5.5 metres, with 9 ft celings and is open to the kitchen . The walls are painted in Dulux Royal Beige and the windo is covered with a roller blind in translucent fabric colour buffalo. On the other wall is a brick fireplace... we are intending to replace the woodfire with a gas log fire but I hate the brick but don not want to paint it.
The 3rd wall is a wall of glass with sliding doors and panel blinds in the same fabric. I was thinking maybe an entertainment unit under tv about
800mm high and a bookcase next to the window, as high as the window to sort of encase the tv?
Also should the furniture be dark timber or lighter as everything else in the room is a shade of beige or brown.
Sorry lots of help needed.
imzadi
If your fireplace is not a working one you could always mount the tv over it. OtherwiseI would take the tv off the wall and place it in a entertainment unit set across the corner. That way you can view programs easily and your window wall is not unbalanced. I would hang drapes from higher than the window and wider so that it appears larger. Also hang curtains the same length as the drapes.

Is there room to move the chairs back a little more from the fireplace. I like the light flooring but the walls need some colour. I would paint them a little lighter than the lightest shade on your fireplace. A large mirror almost as wide as the mantle would bring a lot of light into the space.

You have a quilt on one of the chairs. The colours are wonderful and an area rug with some of those same colours would really bring a cozy warmth to your room.

Home some of my ideas are of help to you. Have fun.
December 16, 2012 at 1:30pm   
To balance the tv and window, between them add a thin vertical storage unit for movies and cd's: [houzz=
]
December 16, 2012 at 2:05pm   
It appears you have sufficient space for the 3 seater with chaise plus 2 chairs that you mentioned. I think that the sofa with chaise shown below (but in reverse formation) would be a lovely piece to start with. It would be placed facing the fireplace. In front of the sofa would go a rectangular coffee table.

Next I would select a pair of comfortable chairs, in whatever color suits you, perhaps recliners if you can find good looking ones that are not huge. Something in approximately 80-85 cm width would be good. I would place the chairs to the right of the fireplace, facing the TV, with a small round table between them. Roland Sofas with Chaise Room & Board Florence Knoll Rectangular Coffee Table Sebastian Recliner Chair Brushstroke Red Carpet

You've kind of tied our hands behind our backs with your mention of NOT being able to move the TV. I think you should first have acquired an entertainment center above which you would have placed the TV. It's pushed too far into the corner in my estimation. But if it could be moved slightly I would place it on something like the unit shown below. You can go either light or dark on the wood.

Use an area rug of perhaps 3 x 4 meters to pull your colors together and add accent pillows in coordinating colors.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID bAllen Entertainment Center By Modloft
December 16, 2012 at 2:19pm   
pansy2
The TV was put up by my husband while I was away..it also swivels across the corner. I like the unit but feel it needs to be higher. I do like the shelving idea. Furniture placement sound great and I love that sofa.
December 16, 2012 at 3:23pm   
pansy2
Oh..also I don't like curtains and wanted to keep the window with clean lines..hence the blind but am wondering now if it might need a pelmet?
December 16, 2012 at 3:25pm   
How about bamboo shades such as are shown below, and here's a different entertainment center for your consideration also. Keegan Entertainment Center Wall Unit Traditional Window Treatments
December 16, 2012 at 3:36pm   
Dull dining room
We've slowly been purchasing furniture for our dining...
Help me identify these odd wall fixtures
Our house is a 1963 ranch. There are two of these...
Need help with my living room
Hi , we moved in our new house year ago ,I am still...
Help with accessorizing new media console
Hi, we recently purchased the PB printers collection...