Need help with backsplash.
Sunday
I am thinking this is too busy, the cabinets are green/gray, SW "Hardware" and granite is White Kashmir. I am thinking of going with 3X6 off white matte subway tile instead. What do you think?
kah416
I agree with going with the white subway tile instead...this stuff is nice but it will go out of style in a few years, and white subway tile never seems to go out of style! :) Hope this helps! :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 9:05PM
Sunday
The color is "Biscuit" series of Rittenhouse Square from Daltile, it looked better that the artic white matte.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 9:07PM
kah416
I agree!! It's a great choice! :) Good eye :) Counters are beautiful too!!! Great taste!! :) I want it in my kitchen!! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 10:04PM
Ethos Interiors
If you want a mosaic I would consider a larger tile size so it doesn't feel too busy. I have to admit that I do love a subway tile though - beautiful and classic! Have you considered using a glass subway tile in one of the colours you like from the mosaic?
    Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 10:20PM
3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Hello momoffiddlegirl,

I like YOUR choice better than subway tiles. BTW: can anybody tell me why so many people actually like? the "subway-style". In my opinion this brick-pattern style looks soooo boring no matter what kind of tiles you have used. Every time I see a subway-backsplash, I feel I'm in my great grandmother's kitchen.

Regards,

3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
Maple Ridge, BC (Greater Vancouver) http://www.3D-Tile-Design.ca
    Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 10:43PM
dworaks
I love the tile you've chosen. When you have a lot of it or some nice, long lines of it, it does not look busy. Subway tile is timeless, but the tile you've chosen is so much more ... happy and current and custom. Ask yourself what you want to see every morning when you walk into your kitchen. Make it your dream kitchen!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 10:50PM
michigammemom
Momofiddlegirl, I can just get a glimpse of your cabinets and they appear to be quite traditional whereas your mosaic tile has a contemporary look. Is this the direction you are envisioning for your kitchen?
    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 5:03AM
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
I am very partial to subway tile, but I like it in a shiny finish, not matte. To avoid it being boring, why not choose one with a crackle finish or some sort of texture? Waterworks has one called "Grove Brick" that has lots of pitting and character. Also, instead of plain white you could use a soft neutral, like gray, taupe, green, etc., see what works with your cabinets and countertop.
    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 6:00AM
Natalie
Love what you've chosen... SW Hardware is such a Great color; looking forward to seeing the end result. Good Luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 6:22AM
ModaScapes Interior Design
I totally agree with Bertram! Two things to keep in mind- the mosaic you selected won't look as busy when it's intalled and grouted on the whole backsplash, it will tend to look like more of a solid color with a touch of visual texture because the difference in shades of color is relatively close.

And secondly, choose a shiny finish if you want to reflect light in a space- please tell me you are putting undercabinet lighting with Xenon, LED or Halogen lights to show off your White Kashmir. None of that sparkly quartz in the stone will be seen without the proper lighting.

But here's a thought if you want to enter your kitchen and think, "Wow, that's a fresh way to approach a backsplash!", use both! Subway tiles as the foundation (the perfect black dress) and the mosaic as the accent (the jewelry). There are so many possibilities! NOTE: the top 3-4" of the backsplash aren't visible from a standing position, so don't waste accents there. Have fun!
    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 7:00AM
Sunday
Thank you guys so much for the input. I do have traditional cabinets with a current color of very gray/green. I am so afraid that the mosaic will go out of date and I won't be able afford to change it, (those house payments are gonna be painful). The subway tiles are going to be timeless. I don't like the glossy finish, they remind me of a bathroom. I think the matte finish is more elegant. I do have under cabinet lighting. I really have decided to let my cabinets (with are custom built) and granite shine and let the backsplash be a support player. I will post pics as soon as it is installed. House should be complete end of Feb. P.S. I can't wait for you guys to see the pics of the vinyl planks once they are installed on the floors. Thank all of you! I really listen and think about your input.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 7:12AM
nancy612
Too busy. think of the green-grey of your cabinets, it is an old almost farmhouse color. I don't object to the lighter color, but the backsplash should be less busy as to not stand out. let your cabinets and countertop be your statement. Can your backsplash match your countertop or at least be a single color in between your counter top and the grey tone of the cabinets?
    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 7:15AM
nancy612
Your sinks were a very nice choice
    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 7:16AM
Sunday
The color of the subway tile is very creamy and the granite has a lot of the color in it. Thanks on the sink, it is Blanco and the color is "truffle" I love it too.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 7:25AM
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi momoffiddlegirl!
I think both of your ideas are good ones, the mosaic or the white subway tile. A third option you have is to do a mosaic in glass subway tiles. The mosaic below features 1x3 glass subway tiles in white, light gray, and a light grayish green.
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 9:39AM
Need help with backsplash
Off white perimeter cabinets and brown island all with...
jdbartlett
need help with backsplash
bought white cabinets w grey glaze, using cambria torquey...
lesstudio
Need help for backsplash
I have Cianitus for my kitchen granite and am having...
jones747sq
need help with backsplash and colour of kitchen walls
Natural maple cabinets, almond porcelain floor, gold...
ooooo1
Need help with backsplash colour.
Our new kitchen will be mostly black and white. White...
woodyren
I need a new rug for this room...
Room is about 12.5" x 12.5". I need a rug that will...
Debbie
design disaster...House
So confused ... wall paint ... furniture ...? I just...
shielawebster
Nursery ideas
I need help with a collage wall I'm putting together...
schillinger
Wall lamps for vanity table?
Now that I have my bedside lamps I place, I'm considering...
Sheriff821
My new kitchen...
I designed my kitchen Island facing away from cooktop...
alexm364