Weird things you noticed once you started your reno/remodel
Susan Mladenovich
December 17, 2012 in Other
I posted a question in Design Dilemma regarding the strip in my kitchen cabinets between the doors. That prompted me to think of the weird things I start to notice about my house/other people's houses/pictures on Houzz when I am thinking of remodeling. So I thought I would ask:
What is the weirdest thing you started to notice or pay attention to when you were remodeling/renovating?

PS another one just came to mind - Toilet flush "woosh" when flushing at other people houses.
creeser
Toilet height! Since you brought up the 'woosh'. *L* I never noticed until a friend stayed at our lake house after hip replacement surgery saying our "comfort height" toilets were a Godsend. Started noticing other toilets after that and used comfort height when building our new house. Now when I used a shorter toilet, I feel like I'm falling!
2 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 12:07PM
michigammemom
It seems like a nit picky thing, but after building our home and taking great pains to match hardware and fixtures, I began to notice mismatched finishes...shiny brass door handles and hinges, chrome faucets, porcelain cabinet pulls and bronze light fixtures all in the same room.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 12:19PM
No one notices this at all, but after 5 years in the house, I wish I had flipped the staircase so that the stairs going up were on the right side of the hall and the stairs leading to the lower level were on the left side of the hall. I always walk to the wrong side when I try to go downstairs. ?????? I guess the sides of my brain will not cooperate with each other. ********
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 12:38PM
We had a second floor bathroom with a closet that had an exterior door at the back of it with access to the top of what was our screened porch. I have always wondered what the original 1920's configuration of that area of the house might have been, whether there was once an outdoor railing for a rooftop patio, whether that tiny bathroom originally had NO closet, or who knows? We had to replace the door with a window when we ripped out the porch and built an addition with a taller roof. So now it's a closet with a window in it (and it's not our only one!). Very strange configurations you find in old houses.

Also, renovating the kitchen made me notice (and get picky about) cabinet door and frame styles much more than I ever had before, and also styles of back splashes. I now notice those 6" ones made of the countertop material and think about how they limit full backsplash options.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 12:52PM
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 1:04PM
That's it Judy! It was the doorway to Narnia! We should have kept it!
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 1:23PM
creeser
Narnia? Here I was thinking it was more like Alice's fall down the rabbit hole..*L*
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 1:27PM
Susan Mladenovich
yes, along with the woosh toilet height is another thing I notice.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 1:41PM
olldroo
creeser that is funny you mention toilet height. As you know old age is doing weird things to my body and when I went shopping for new toilets for my bathroom renovations I discovered the fabulous super high ones I now have. I call them my geriatric loos.

Then I watched an episode of the English show "Embarrassing Bodies" and one of the doctors went to great lengths to describe the correct angle and position one should sit at on the loo. My toilets are all wrong ........ but then he doesn't have my knees.
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 3:06PM
The weirdest thing I've noticed is that the toilet flushes back at me. The toilet water literally jumps back out of the bowl everytime we flush, so we have to remember to put the lid down FIRST!!! Gross.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 4:23PM
nasmijati
I just had the "guts" of my toilet replaced. The old rubber had degraded and it was leaking. Now when the toilet is flushed it makes a "whoosh" sound. Took a couple of weeks to get used to the new sound.

Other odd things. Took out the worn-out built-in dishwasher to replace it. Found a whole head of garlic and a dehydrated lizard.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 4:27PM
nasmijati
Speaking of toilets, here is a tip from the iOS Health
Tip of the Day App:
Grossness aside, flush studies have shown that bacteria is spread up to 10 inches when a toilet is flushed, and dangerous bacteria like C.diff (Clostridium difficile) may survive in water droplets up to 90 minutes on the seat and surrounding area. Consider closing the lid on the toilet while flushing, avoid sitting on the toilet while flushing, and use bleach at home frequently to minimize exposure to dangerous bacteria.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 4:31PM
eztia! A dehydrated lizard, eeew! But better than a hydrated one, I guess.
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 4:46PM
olldroo
Question. Can anyone tell me why you fill your toilet bowls up so much. Ours have about 4 inches in the bottom - definitely no splashing.
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 12:42AM
Speaking about toilets, one tip I have it so try it out with the display at the stores, as some may say 'comfort' height, which might be too high for some members of the family.
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 5:36AM
Dy, I just saw this Sarah Richardson design show where she had her asst Tommy do just that. I guess he misunderstood because he got down on his knees and pretended to stick his head in the toilet. He proclaimed it 'just fine'. Probably not what you mean, tho, huh?
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 5:40AM
LOL. I miss watching Sarah's shows!

Not all toilets are created equal so the kids or someone a bit shorter may have their legs off the floor while seated and that's not very "comfortable".
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 5:55AM
olldroo
Well Dy, in my home everything is for my comfort now, it just has to be as sadly things will probably only get worse. Fortunately my joeys are very tall and the grandjoeys are headed skywards fast and they aren't here that long for it to be too much of an issue. Agree though there would be families that would have to take that into consideration.

LOL, just thinking, bet Susan didn't expect her design post to get down to the technicalities of using the loo.

OMG bobbi that show sounds a hoot. In their younger years, my joeys are remembered for giving themselves black eyes checking out the toilet bowl. Actually with your water levels, you would have to be careful you didn't accidentally drown yourself.
2 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 6:42AM
Dy and olldroo, you have to love Tommy Smythe! Self admitted yes-man!
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 7:00AM
creeser
bobbi, I never thought of THAT comfort height..*L* Dy, you are so right about the comfort of the height not being equal. Our kids gave us an anniversary trip to a very chic "Oprah stays here when she's in town" hotel down in Charleston. The toilet was so high, I needed a step stool to get on it and I am semi-tall for a woman. No way could a child or a short woman get on it unaided.
2 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 10:54AM
creeser, that's narsty! Who wants help getting on the toilet???!!! Maybe one just needs a running start!
1 Like   December 18, 2012 at 12:30PM
creeser
olldbobbi, one wrong step and they'd end up doing a head stand in the toilet... oh don't go there..*L*
2 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 12:34PM
olldroo
Dy, have you ever actually walked around a store sitting on all the loos? Watching the looks on passerby's faces is hilarious.
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 11:23PM
olldroo
Bobbi and Creeser - I guess though it is better than squatting over a hole in the floor in Asia.
0 Likes   December 18, 2012 at 11:29PM
What ONE thing do you hope your guests won't notice?
I envy the people who's homes are perfect and guest-ready...
What ONE thing do you hope your guests WILL notice?
We put a lot of effort into having things "just so"...
Home Remodeling: Falling In-Love with Your Home Once Again
The home is where people usually enjoy their free time...
leonafortenberry
things to think about before you get started
I renovated the three bathrooms in my 1950s home a...
oceanic
living room
thank you all your advice but for those who ask me...
wesenye
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Wendy
Wood countertops, starting to crack
We built our house ourselves 2 years ago and bought...
chelseabeagle
Help! How would you redesign this bathroom?
We have an archaic bathroom. Our house was built in...
ti807910
Suggestions to decorate my faux fireplace mantle.
I'd like to decorate the mantle for Christmas, any...
chelseabeagle