I need to do a fireplace makeover
Hillary's Homes
My new house is great! However, it has a horrible fireplace. It's built on a caddy-corner and behind it are 2 large windows. I like a more contemporary feel for the room and would like a place for a tv. I have no idea what to do with this!
collettec
How did this happen? A later addition to add a fireplace? What's behind it? Do you want a fireplace there? Want the windows to be visible instead of the fireplace. If possible with the fireplace?
December 17, 2012 at 7:04PM     
Hillary's Homes
Funny :) Not sure how it happened, but here it is... I would like to keep a fireplace but wouldn't mind exposing the windows, too, if it's an option.
December 18, 2012 at 3:56AM   
Dar Eckert
You will need to have it removed and replaced with a new fireplace. It is so worth it. Just completing the project in our family room. I love the change. You have many options. Tyrol Hills Modern
Private Residence 2
December 18, 2012 at 4:14AM   
sacapuntaslapioz
Have a Mason take the sides. leave the fireplace. white wash it. remove the insert. It would look unique for a fraction of the cost.
]
December 18, 2012 at 4:28AM   
Lisa Davenport Designs
How do I say this gently?....... Uummm yes!!!
Additional pictures would be helpful, but my initial reaction is knock out the cubbies on either side and create a floating FP
Once the sides are removed, face off the fireplace possibly with a more streamline contemporary tile such as this: http://www.arizonatile.com/3-D-MESH-MOUNT-STACK-P910.aspx
You'll have to weigh the costs in removing the sides compared to Dar Eckerts suggestion in just ripping it out and starting over, depending on the construction of the FP removing it completely may open a can of worms.
Once the FP is faced off, mount your TV above the FP if you'd like.... You'll need to square off the top and build out the step in the current FP
I think you'll be amazed at how open the space becomes and fun to design with the freedom of a floating FP
Make sense?
December 18, 2012 at 4:31AM   
It looks like it was built to be a room divider. I worry that if you remove the side extensions, what is the floor below? And even if you remove the side extensions, it's still going to be massive. I have to agree with tearing the whole thing out and putting in something more streamlined and modern.
December 18, 2012 at 4:51AM   
collettec
I think it might be a good idea to get some help from someone who can draw up some sketches of options of various fireplace configurations and how things would look with the various options. Any changes to the fireplace itself will change what you're seeing given what is behind it. Perhaps this is why they flanked the fireplace on the two sides. It may be possible to bring the fireplace down to a minimum floating size and have it look great with what's behind it. Perhaps there are other options with something like glass block that could be used to bring in the light from the windows behind but not show the windows themselves. But I think I would start with that.
December 18, 2012 at 8:18AM     
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
You will need to take out what is there and have a contractor look at if they can move the fireplace to another area of the room. If you'd like to keep a wood fireplace this could be very extensive to fix. If you strongly want a wood fireplace but it's too challenging to move the smoke stack, you could try a double sided fireplace that is tall and narrow.
Friedman

If you are fine with removing the wood fireplace and adding a gas or electric, that will be less extensive and easier to place anywhere in the room. I would place it away from the windows or framed by the windows depending on the layout of the rest of your room.
Baltes Remodel
December 18, 2012 at 8:30AM   
Living room re-design! Help!
I am desperate for some advice ! First of all... The...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
How to renovate room with damp walls
Our room has damp walls......the paint keeps peeling...
Front entry
Should this door have side light windows and a transom...
What should you know when you buy an old home?
There are special challenges when buying an older home....