Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubasaves

Tile design yay or nay

rubasaves
11 years ago
Trying to make a design w fam room floor. I will have same tile in the kitchen and the hallway that leads to the kitchen. Which one is better. Here is the room w old flooring.
We laid this out in the store
We laid this out in the family room

Comments (45)

• rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    All trim is now white an beams r brown walls r diff color also
  • PRO
    Inspired Interiors
    11 years ago
    I think both flooring options will blend in too much with brick wall. You need something lighter to brighten up the room. Can you post a picture of the updates you mentioned?
  • PRO
    Judith Taylor Designs
    11 years ago
    I think hardwood would contrast nicely with the brick wall. Then you could layer in a cozy area rug. I find the stone tile too cold a look for a family room and not a great complement to the brick. Sorry, I vote for neither. If moisture is the issue there are some lovely tile 'planks' that look just like wood and would give a warmer feel but I would still go with wood if I could (feeling a bit like a woodchuck here - lol)
  • PRO
  • pjtime
    11 years ago
    I agree with others that the two options are too dark and are too busy to meet up with that fireplace. I think wood, linoleum or carpet would be better. It's a neat room tho and love the fireplace.
  • PRO
    Gina Fitzsimmons ASID NKBA
    11 years ago
    I also like the idea of wood flooring. I find the brick staggered pattern competes with the staggered pattern in the flooring.
    Gina Fitzsimmons ASID
  • Lynn Anderson
    11 years ago
    The pattern of the tile competes with the brick. You need a bigger scale tile with small grout lines (24" X 24") or a LVT Luxury vinyl tile in a rustic finish would look nice. I would also paint the paneling.
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all the comments. I hadn't realized the tile would compete w the fireplace. I originally wanted wood floor however this level is half basement "tri-level home" moisture was the problem here for the wood. We just got the tile delivered to the house :( now what. Guess I should have posted before buying all that tile. I don't have a pic of the changes. Paneling is all white. I hmmm any ideas on how to make the tile not compete with the fireplace. Without having to return it all?
  • pjtime
    11 years ago
    Honestly? No. Are there other rooms you can use the tile instead? Putting all that labor and expense of an install of that tile in that room I can only see as being a disappointment. I would just bite the bullet and return it or resell it. Maybe some of the designers can help with your dilemma because I can't think of any application in this room where you could get away with it. Ideas anyone?
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    Just buy a big rug to cover it in the family room. We got a room sized remnant bound for our lower-level family room for only a few hundred dollars. Probably that floor gets too cold anyway!
  • anthip
    11 years ago
    I would say return it but if you can't and you like it then it would be helpful to see a picture of the changed room - can you get one?

I would be tempted to lay the tile and then get a huge rug that you can put down right up to the brick. Then use that as the focal point of your seating area. I found some pictures to show you what I mean.

[houzz=
    Grisell Navas · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Griswold Family · More Info
    ]

You could even have a huge sisal rug up to the wall with a smaller patterned rug on top for a cheaper option. You'll still see a little bit of tile at the side but that would be ok.

It looks like a reasonably sized room so this might be a nice way to divide it up into cosier spaces. Otherwise, just cover the floor with the sisal - it'll feel warmer underfoot too.

Another option would be to paint the brick hearth so you have a solid break between the flooring and the brick.
  • alwaysdesigning
    11 years ago
    If you use either of these, I would paint that brick wall. Otherwise you are going to have too busy of a space with these patterns fighting each other. I would paint the brick a flat medium dark grey to go with these tiles. Good luck
  • PRO
    TASCH - GROUP
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hello rubasaves,

I voted for the first pattern because It looks just better in my opinion. However something seems to be wrong with your pattern. Did you design this pattern or was it comming with your tiles?

About your fireplace: You HAVE to see the full picture to decide what' the best option. Therefore my advice: Take the time and lay out a huge area in front of your fireplace and if possible lay out the whole floor. Thereafter you can easily decide whether you are like it and if yes what you are going to do with the fireplace. Maybe the floor doesn't compete at all with the fireplace and both the floor and the fireplace harmonize together because your chosen pattern is not a brick-pattern at all. So who knows?

Some people will like it, some people will love it and other people may think it looks not good at all. It is all subjective. Go with what YOU like, and not what other people may like.

Regards,

3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
    Maple Ridge, BC (Greater Vancouver)
    http://www.3D-Tile-Design.ca
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Which one did you buy? Did you buy it before you asked people their opinions? If the walls are white now are they not putting more emphasis on the heavy rustic brick because of the contrast? I would paint the walls and the brick a pale khaki color to go with the new tile floor. Everything will then fall into place. Gina Fitz, ASID
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yvonnecmartin: hi thanks for your comment. I am planning on using a rug for the seating area. I want me feet to be warm when I watch some tv. :) in the future I want to install some shelving on the sides of the FP. This won't happen for a while though.
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Anthip: yes a rug is next on my list to buy. I was contemplating painting the brick but a bit scared to ruin it. As in the choice if color.
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Always designing: thanks for the thought of gray for the brick. I will post pics of the new wall colors later today.
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    3-d tile design: u r so right. I have to just lay it right up to the brick and take it from there.

Yes we came up w the design ourselves. We got the tile from Home Depot and just kind of put it together. Your advise has been very helpful. U r right. Some will like and some won't. I should pick what pleases me. I just love the look of these beautiful pics on this site and want that same professional look. This is my first time ever trying to "design" i am learning as I go.

I will post a new pic later today of the tile by the FP
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Gina fitz: yes i purchased before asking opinions. Next time I will just buy a sample to get opinions. I will post new pics of new wall color later with tile near brick wall.
  • PRO
    AJP Properties
    11 years ago
    My vote was for the top tile selection. The muted colors do not fight as much with the brick as the other one!
    Good luck!
  • pivoines
    11 years ago
    this is a permanent item, you will regret either of those 2 choices , bite the bullet and return then choose a wood floor or a very large plain tile as suggested by dytecture. it will then look great.
  • PRO
    TASCH - GROUP
    11 years ago
    Hello rubasaves,

"...I am planning on using a rug for the seating area. I want me feet to be warm when I watch some tv. :) ..." I suggest - instead laying a rug down, which cost you also money and which you have to clean all the time - installi at the area where you want to place the rug an electrical floor heating system. Your feeds and not only your feeds will be much warmer and to keep the tiles clean is much easier than a rug.

Cheers Bertram
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ok so here is the room w new paint. These are actually the same tile in the fam room. What do you think of getting a tile more like the beige one? One thought we had is removing the mantel install one that has molding on the top and sides paint it white. Paint the brick white wash. Install drywall on both sides of FP and add shelves. If we do all the work on the FP would the slate tile work better? Or still too dark?
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Same tile diff design
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Another view. Ugh I am so frustrated with this brick. I don't like it. Remember my first choice was wood. This can't b done due to moisture. Also I don't want carpet. I need some help please.
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oops same pic here is another view
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    Maybe it's more pronounced in photos than in person, but I find the different colors of the tiles distracting. The large ones seem darker, and their pattern on the floor creates a zig-zag look.

Sometimes tiles with the same name but different sizes don't have the same finish. For example, the large one may have a rougher surface for floors, and the rectangles and smaller ones are smooth for walls.
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    I suggest you return the tile. There are ceramic tiles that mimic the look of wood. Take a look at those to see if you find something you like. Search in houzz photos for "ceramic tile looks like wood".

Comtempory Purple · More Info

In general, it is not a good idea to decorate to match a feature you dislike. It's like throwing good money after bad.Try to find a tile that you like and that will accommodate your changes to the fireplace in the future.
  • pivoines
    11 years ago
    If you dislike the brick so much , I suggest you paint it white for now and have it clad when you have the money. It will give you time to find something you really like and stop you from making a hasty decision. Change or paint the firescreen to the color of the screens next to it (look like brown or black) with a BBQ fireproof paint, then, if you still want the tile you have it won't clash with the patterns of that brick. But I still suggest a plainer tile or wood.
  • PRO
    Travis Robert Renovations
    11 years ago
    Start with the brick... Lighten it up by either painting it or applying a white wash,etc... Then revisit your tile selections and see if you like them with the painted brick. We do like the idea of planked tile which will look like wood and is a great compromise since you want the look of wood.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Return the tile. It is just as dark and heavy as the fireplace. Why do you think you will be happier after you do all of the work on the fireplace to make it more palatable and then you will have that tile pattern on the floor? You are just practicing transference.
  • PRO
    Fratantoni Luxury Estates Design/Build/Remodeling
    11 years ago
    @Gina Fitzsimmons ASID

I voted for option 1 because of how elegant yet simple the design was. It would look great in this space.

Best Wishes & Happy Holidays
    Vince Fratantoni
    480-650-0223
  • PRO
    Sales
    11 years ago
    I agree with most - both tiles are bad. Way too much pattern to look at. If you're stuck, go for the lighter color and cover it with area rugs as much as possible, and if you can, do something to tone down the brick. Sorry :(
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ok we are back to the drawing boards
  • 14thstreet
    11 years ago
    I would return the tile also. I like Dytecture's example of a large and more solid tile. Otherwise, you should look at a wood-look porcelain tile. We stayed at a hotel in Key West that had it through the entire suite and it was beautiful.
    [houzz=
    Porcelain plank wood look tile installations Tampa, Florida · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Porcelain plank wood look tile installations Tampa, Florida · More Info
    ]
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We r good to return tile any suggestions on color?
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for your help. I will start a new discussion. Titled What would you do to this room? Some the poll has been answered. Phew. One step closer to my great fam room. Thanks. :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Good decision! I do like the photos from 14th street. Gina
  • PRO
    TASCH - GROUP
    11 years ago
    Hello rubasaves,

You made your first decision which is good for you. In case you decide to go with Porcelain plank wood look tile like 14thstreet suggested, be aware that many different manufacturers produce such tiles and some of them are just horrible. So don't buy the first best rather than look for a good quality.

► If the tiles don't have exactly the same size, stay away otherwise you get terrible joints !!!
    ► If the tiles are curved/bowled stay away otherwise you get lippages !!!

Furthermore the installation technique is a bit different to the setting technique of conventional tiles. Also a better thinset is required. I also recommend the Schluter ditra mat as an underlayment to prevent your floor against cracking.

If you are planning to tile your brick wall, painting would be not a good idea because your tiles can fall off sooner or later because the paint is never a good bondage agent for tiles !!!

Regards,

• Jessica Ortiz
    11 years ago
    I like the top choice.. the colors are lighter and less harsh on the eyes.. also easy to accessorize with other colors in furntiure
  • pjtime
    11 years ago
    I would go with a medium toned/colored wood look tile. Medium tones won't show dust and dirt obviously like the the light or dark tones. If you don't think dust and dirt will be an issue in your space, go with what you like. My husband tracks in mud from his workplace (he forgets to remove his boots) and the wind blows a lot, causing a lot of dust. I find medium tones keep a nicer appearance for longer periods of time. In addition, it's easier to accessorize and everything goes with medium tones. I've heard others that say they hate their dark flooring because they have to dust mop every day. I think you are doing the right thing for yourself and the home.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    11 years ago
    I'm worried about the moisture in the slab. What are you doing to combat the issue? If you can solve the moisture issue, you can have any floor you want. I know that tiles are the "easiest" way around this, but you may be doing your self a huge favour by fixing the real problem: moisture mitigation. If you don't fix it now, you will always have to worry about it. Moisture can also cause issues with grout and mortar if the wrong products are used. A mason should know more about this.

I would not recommend putting in radiant heat into those floors until you have fixed the moisture problem. I have a client who tried to "dry out' her basement with radiant heat. Now she has a $7,000 system that is now evaporating off water FASTER than if the concrete had been left alone. She now needs to pull everything and seal the pad = $20,000 + $5,000 for the rip out.

My advice (as someone who sells a wood product...yes cork is wood): Fix the problem before you do anything else! You will be happy that you did! AND you will get the wood floor you always wanted!
  • alwaysdesigning
    11 years ago
    In my opinion, your options are too dark for the space. I still think you need to start with painting that brick. Don't go garish white, but a nice warm white tone or a silvery medium grey. Then, from there you can pick your tile. Also, look through the painted brick photos in Houzz. Our tile place will let us "check out" as much tile as we need to take home and try out and then can return it for a full refund if it won't work. See about this option. The wood plank look tiles are awesome. I want those in our new house. They have a very nice looking weathered driftwood grey that I love. Good luck
  • PRO
    TASCH - GROUP
    11 years ago
    Hello rubasaves,

How "big" is your concrete slab moisture problem actually? Is the slab just a bit damp or is it "sweating" and what is the average humidity in the room? The-Schluter-Ditra-Mat may be your solution however if your slab is wet resp. "sweating", then you have to mitigate the moisture first before installing tiles on top of your concrete slab. If you decide to go with a "wooden" product like hardwood or cork, then the moisture mitigation would be not enough. Moisture remediation is then the key for a successful wood floor installation.

Merry Christmas

• rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The slab has no moisture. I was told that basements are notorious for moisture so not to use wood floor. We just purchased the house and I have no history on the house since its been empty for 2yrs.

Well news update on the floor. After my husband and I agreed to return the floor we started looking for other styles. Well low and behold this morning I met my husband at the home and found he was half way done installing the tile we were going to return. :( so now I am stuck. Next best thing reconstruct the FP. Oh well it is what it is and I will have to make do with it. I have been looking on line and found some ideas on shelves and wood installed on the base of the FP with a mantel. White wash on the brick is an option I am looking into. Here is a pic of what I like.

Merry Christmas to all and thank you for all your great ideas :)
  • rubasaves
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The slab has no moisture. I was told that basements are notorious for moisture so not to use wood floor. We just purchased the house and I have no history on the house since its been empty for 2yrs.

Well news update on the floor. After my husband and I agreed to return the floor we started looking for other styles. Well low and behold this morning I met my husband at the home and found he was half way done installing the tile we were going to return. :( so now I am stuck. Next best thing reconstruct the FP. Oh well it is what it is and I will have to make do with it. I have been looking on line and found some ideas on shelves and wood installed on the base of the FP with a mantel. White wash on the brick is an option I am looking into. Here is a pic of what I like.

Merry Christmas to all and thank you for all your great ideas :)