Flooring before kitchen cabinet?
osmog
Is it a bad idea to put down the porcelain tile before the kitchen cabinets go in? Because of timing could we have the tiles laid down and put cabinets on top? The tile will go through 3 rooms and just trying to get things moving in another room and for the whole project. We are about to decide on cabinetry and will have color picked, so matching is not an issue.
Aggie Purvinska
Of course, you should put flooring down before Cabinets.
December 18, 2012 at 12:38PM   
David J. Design Inc.
Flooring always goes down first.
December 18, 2012 at 12:39PM   
osmog
I googled it and saw many opinions by professionals... More or less depends on many factors. Should have noted: slab foundation.
December 18, 2012 at 12:48PM   
Cancork Floor Inc.
A floor that is glued in place - such as ceramic/porceline tiles can go wall to wall. They can go down prior to installing cabinets - but you MUST provide complete protection for the floor while the installers are working. There are many floors that shoud go down LAST....like a floating floor. But that is not what you are looking at. You will want to contact the tile manufacture and find out what the load allowance is for cabinetry, etc. There should be some sort of technical information that is accessible that gives maximum pressure allowed - psi, etc. Part of the equation will also come from the type of mortar and grout you use/recommended. If the tile manufacturer has a RECOMMEND mortar - STICK WITH IT. Always investigate the type of limits mortar has. Some do will with moisture migration in concrete while others can't stand moisture in the slab. Alwasy check the specifications on the stuff that is used to hold the OTHER STUFF in place. Tiles are happy on concrete - it is the adhesives/mortars that have the problems!

No point in doing all that work only to discover that your tiles will eventual crack under the strain of the cabinets. You should be fine, but it is always best to find your MAXIMUMS and your MINIMUMS so that you can make sure things go well.
December 18, 2012 at 1:03PM   
Need help accessorizing console table.
We have a transitional house with some modern and some...
Tub reglazing
We have a master tub we don't really ever use sure...
Empty Wall Next to Tv
We just moved in and have been setting everything up....
I need help with my kitchen final touches!!
I am trying again with photos. Need suggestions for...
Help me modernize my southern charm
This is my fireplace as it sits half way painted. I...