Just had my wood floors stained...
Shannon Sanderson
The color was wrong, not the color we picked out. There were water stains that are coming through this lighter color, any idea if we can have the floors restained before we polyurethane them? The color we wanted was slightly darker and browner, but still no guarantee the stains won't come through. Other option is to have the floors resanded and stained, or just leave it alone, it's really not a bad color, just light...any suggestions are great, thx!
Linda
If the sanding didn't remove the water stains, they will probably come through any stain you use except perhaps a very dark stain. Sometimes the only thing to do with stained boards is replace the worst of them. It isn't overly difficult and if done before finish coat, you will never be able to see the repair. You can sand the stain off; it isn't difficult in the center of the room but the perimeter and corners are a bit of a pain.

The question is, how much do you hate the color? Also, if you are using an oil based poly, you will get a yellow/orange tint from the finish How large was the stain sample you saw and was it put on the exact flooring you have in your house? We always test stains right in the middle of the floor (never in a corner because you can't easily sand it off) Was the stain color used a completely different product than you selected or was it the product you chose but it just looks different than you expected? I'm asking because in the first case, you shouldn't be expected to pay for the additional work and in the second case, the contractor shouldn't charge you too much
   December 18, 2012 at 9:26PM
Shannon Sanderson
Thanks that is very helpful, I didn't even think to replace some of the badly stained boards and we do have some spare new ones we can use. I do not dislike the color, although my husband says its a bit red, which we were not going for ( it's a bona color, early American) the problem was that we sampled dura seals early American, which is much browner. We are going to use a water based poly, hopefully that will make it no redder than it is. So you think we can replace some boards before we poly it?
   December 18, 2012 at 9:33PM
Shannon Sanderson
Also, it's my brother in law starting up a wood floor refinishing business, so he is learning some new things as well, and he agreed to re sand and stain for no extra charge.
   December 18, 2012 at 9:36PM
Shannon Sanderson
Does anyone know if I can replace water stained floor pieces after they have been finished?
   December 19, 2012 at 6:55AM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
If you replace damaged boards, it will be very challenging to finish the new boards so that they match the existing ones unless you sand off the existing finish.
   December 19, 2012 at 7:01AM
Shannon Sanderson
Thanks, we haven't poly'd yet, doing that this morning. Should I replace the boards this a.m. Then poly it?
   December 19, 2012 at 7:06AM
Linda
If you want to replace any of the bad boards, do it before going any further. It isn't too difficult but won't match unless you do it before the finishing. Typically, a damaged board is removed by cutting a channel down the middle and either removing the entire board if it's a short length or then cutting crosswise enough to replace the damage and make it look right according to the boards around it. Don't cut too close to the joints in the boards on either side of it. Then, when the new board is put in, the bottom of the groove is removed so the board will go it and fit down in the space
   December 19, 2012 at 7:10AM
Need to decorate my new Dining Room
I purchased new furniture, and now I'm stuck regarding...
Cork floors
Can I seal cork flooring with a polyurethane?
baseboard heating
Can you surround the piping with wood or does it need...
Help me with these windows!
Looking to add drapes. Considering 50"x102" patterned...
Granite counter too much for my mexican tile???
Thinking of Kashmire Gold counter , presently have...