Kitchen Makeover
Tera Lambert
December 18, 2012 in Before & After
The plan was to repair the ceiling, but I spend so much time on houzz and Pinterest that I ended up changing everything. This is my biggest project so far, I did all the work myself.
Jerri Holan & Associates, AIA
I think the ceiling offers a great opportunity to spark the room up a bit. Add a couple of surface mounted general lights, complement those with a couple or three pendant-type lights by the island, and maybe add a couple of wall sconces over by the windows. This should give you some ambient lighting and allow you to enhance different Kitchen activities: soft for eating, bright for tasking, and maybe candle light for two. . .
December 18, 2012 at 9:45pm   
Tera Lambert
Ha! I have been thinking about putting pendant lights over the island, I haven't picked any out yet though. Also, the plan is to have a carpenter build more cabinets & counter space for this empty area that was a doorway originally. ( see pic below) Also the wood stain molding over the entryway to the dining room will also be painted white along with all baseboards.
December 18, 2012 at 10:08pm   
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi teralambert!
Firstly, you've done an amazing job! It really looks great with all the work you've done! Extending the cabinetry into that nook is going to be wonderful, I'm sure you'll really appreciate the extra work space once you have it! Have you considered putting in a tile backsplash? It would mean easier cleanup for any messes that might happen, and with the right finish, could really play up your under cabinet lighting.
December 19, 2012 at 6:52am   
Tera Lambert
I am planning on doing a backsplash eventually. I can't do tile though because I have to do things that I can do myself. I am considering this type back splash because it should look good and should be easy to install. Also it's low budget which is important to me right now. It's made of PVC and uses adhesive to stick to the wall. But it's supposed to withstand heat.
December 19, 2012 at 9:29am   
Ramona
I don't think tiling is so hard. If you have done all this, it should be a short learning curve. Take a lesson at a Home Depot or other store like that.
December 19, 2012 at 9:43am     
Stoneshop
It looks wonderful so far! Way to go, teralambert!
December 19, 2012 at 10:22am     
mmilos
With your tile floor and white countertops, I would have left the cabinets as-is and just freshened the walls with a coat of paint.
December 19, 2012 at 10:26am   
Tera Lambert
The cabinets in their original stain look better in the pics than they did in real life. They were very faded, and the color of the stain was not red looking like in the pics. They were very dull.
December 19, 2012 at 3:43pm   
Tera Lambert
Oh and I did paint the walls first but the kitchen still didn't look right with those cabinets. We also plan on removing the tile floor eventually and replacing it with hardwood floors. I don't like the tile, it never feels clean enough and it's bad on my back.
December 19, 2012 at 3:58pm   
mmilos
Hardwood floors with white cabinets always looks classy.
December 19, 2012 at 5:35pm     
Tera Lambert
I think the hardwood will look great, but I haven't decided what stain to go with yet. I saw some that is a medium stain with dark spots in it, I'm not sure what it was called. Its my favorite so far.
December 19, 2012 at 8:26pm   
Christopher James Interiors
Great job Tera! Looks clean and fresh now :)
December 19, 2012 at 10:55pm     
ednahopper
You'll find a lot of great wood elements at 27estore.com such as wall panels, interior doors and cabinets.
December 20, 2012 at 12:45am     
imlaurel
You lightened up the feel of that space. And those white countertops really jumped out before. The white cabinets really unify the kitchen, but it feels a little monotone now. The wave tiles you picked out are fabulous and will help. Replacing the countertops with one with a little pattern would help. If you are watching your budget, you could replace just the island countertop with something that would compliment the new backsplash.
Would you put the link to the tiles? When I click on the picture the link won't stay.
December 20, 2012 at 7:50am   
NancySteiner
check www.27estore.com if your'e looking for modern kitchen cabinets that will fit perfectly with any contemporary interior design direction.
December 20, 2012 at 11:06am   
Tera Lambert
Here's the link to the backsplash http://m.homedepot.com/p/Fasade-18-in-x-24-in-Traditional-10-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-Decorative-Wall-Tile/100625482/
I haven't decided which one yet. I also plan on getting granite countertops eventually, my budget just can't do it right now. So I am just doing what I can when I am able.
December 20, 2012 at 12:57pm   
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
I love what you've down with this kitchen - kudos to you and to your continued remodel!
January 4, 2013 at 12:52pm   
Complete Kitchen Makeover by Livingston Kitchens
Take a look at some of our before & after pictures...
Transitional Kitchen Makeover in Needham, MA
A lot of houses in this area were built in the 70's...
Kitchen Makeover Needham, MA
Many houses in this area were built 40 years ago. Since...
Kitchen Mini Makeover
Hello, My husband and I are interested in doing...
Kitchen makeover - before and after
From drab oak to fab white. Our new kitchen is fresh...
Need help with front door color and should I remove trees either side
Help with front door color and should I remove trees...
master bedroom
Would I choose colors for my bedroom 1.my favorite...
Need help in replacing my Pallidian window
Palladian windows are just now our style and since...
Countertop Help
Searching for a countertop to go with our kitchen....
Help! Master Bathroom
The house we purchased has a very large master bathroom....