How can I make a concrete tile by myself? So tiles will not crack?
Wilmer Yariel
December 20, 2012 in Photo Questions
VC Studio Inc.
Hi Wilmer,

It will depend on what materials you have available to you, and how large you want to make your tiles.

Proper mix design is important. You can get away without an acrylic additive if you must but it is better if you use it. A good polycarboxylate water reducer/plasticizer should be used. Keep your water content at or below 30%. AR glass fibers for reinforcement. Anti shrinking admixture. Pozzolan like silica fume or metakaolin (about 10% replacement for Portland Cement).

Using these ingredients you should be able to cast a 50/50 mix (Portland Cement/sand) at 3/4" to 1/2" thick.

If you can't get any of these items locally you may have to cast at 1.5" to 2" thick and use remesh or thin metal rod for reinforcement. Rebar is a bit thick for thin pours like this. At least try to get the plasticizer and keep that water content down.

Proper mix designs and casting methods take too long to explain on a quick post.

Do you have much experience with concrete? Feel free to contact me.

Vincent Cathcart
VC Studio Inc.
vince@vcstudioinc.com
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 2:53PM
Wilmer Yariel
Thank you very much for answering. I have virtually no experience with cement, but I like the look and feel of cement in walls and I would like to learn how to do it.
1 Like   December 20, 2012 at 3:46PM
VC Studio Inc.
If you are really interested in learning start by spending some time on YouTube looking up "Concrete" and "GFRC". Start looking around your area and asking questions to see what kinds of materials you can source in Puerto Rico. Jeff Girard of the Concrete Countertop Institute has done classes in the Bahamas and Cayman Islands. If there was a enough interest in your area he might be persuaded to come down and teach a class.

I would think that you should be able to get what you need. You just may have to be a little more creative to get your hands on it.

Regards,

Vincent Cathcart
VC Studio Inc.
vince@vcstudioinc.com
   December 20, 2012 at 5:24PM
Wilmer Yariel
Thanks very much Vincent. You will see, I will learn! Thanks again!
1 Like   December 21, 2012 at 6:21AM
VC Studio Inc.
Willmer,

I am a member of Concrete Countertop Forums. I have not been very active for some time and it has gone through many changes in the last year. I still monitor it on a regular basis though. This morning I ran a check on the world map. We have two members in Puerto Rico!

Here is the address to the site http://concretecountertops.ning.com/

Memebership is free, but there is a standard review before membership is granted.

There is a map at the bottom to use for search anywhere. You can also run specific serches under the "Members" section. The members in Puerto Rico go by "Concretista" & "Eric Ayala". I believe you will find that our small industry of high performance concrete is filled with very nice and helpful people.

There is a lot to learn. But if you have an artistic side and enjoy hard, dirty work you will love it!

Check in down the line and let me know how you do.

Vincent Cathcart
VC Studio Inc.
vince@vcstudioinc.com
   December 21, 2012 at 11:11AM
Wilmer Yariel
How many times do I have to say thanks to you!
1 Like   December 21, 2012 at 11:45AM
kbcdevelopments
The wall on the right is concrete.
The forming technique is called board form. Using a series of wood boards in the forming process allows the wood grain and the widths of the boards to be imprinted into the concrete.
Originally this was an early way to form walls.
It has become an architectural finish to concrete walls, and looks specatular with uplighting.
   January 21, 2013 at 12:31PM
kbcdevelopments
If you are looking at the floors, below is a description of the product we used at this project.

ARDEX SD-M™, a single component system made of polymer and cementitious powders. This was applied over radiant heated concrete.
See more photos on our website www.kbcdevelopments.com!

Also, System One Floors did the installation, so check their site at http://systemonefloor.ca/concrete/portfolio/private-residence/ .
   January 21, 2013 at 12:32PM
Can I install these tiles on a drywall by myself? If so, do you
Can I install these tiles on a drywall by myself? If...
how can I make this myself
I have a cool urn that I want to make into a bubble...
How can I make similar window panels myself?
Hi, I'd love to know if I can make similar window panels...
how can i make myself frescoes ceiling?
what materials i can use on making these kind of ceilings.please...
Icky Decor; Cool Room
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house...
need help with bathroom fixture
have large wooden oval mirror, 27" wide (@widest point)-want...
Need help with mixing metals in older house
I have a 30 yr. old house with shiny brass everywhere:...
outdoor doghouse
I want to build a doghouse with a ramp leading up above...
Cheaper alternative to this pendant light?
Anyone know of a cheaper alternative, still very close...