Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danny_tyler

White wooden shutters or not?!

Danny Tyler
9 years ago
Been thinking about this over and over. The Mrs is not sure, I need some help here lol
What do you guys think, will it suit the window and room if not what options do you think

Thanks

Comments (20)

• sootsprite
    9 years ago
    Do you need treatments that provide privacy for day and/or night, to filter direct sunlight, to let in sunlight...?
  • Danny Tyler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Not really we are very set back from the path so no one can really see in
    At the moment sunlight beers in which we love and don't want too lose
  • sootsprite
    9 years ago
    Shutters block quite a bit of light. Consider using roman blinds. They can be as patterned and colorful or as subdued as you would like.
    http://houzz.com/photos/6941542
  • sootsprite
    9 years ago
    If you use romance shades or roller shades, you can also add curtain panels at the side.
    http://houzz.com/photos/4848668
  • Matthew Decorator
    9 years ago
    They are quite dark which is something to bear in mind
  • jacki_solea1
    9 years ago
    Lovely windows! I agree go for just Roman blinds in thick fabric. Shutters wood spoil it.
  • PRO
    Olive Aubrey
    9 years ago
    I don't think the curved window shape lends itself to shutters, and I think you'd struggle to ever fold them back without a large bundle of "shutter". So you'd lose light. Ditto Roman blinds, which would block out at least 10-15% of the top of the window, but would be less fussy (though - would you easily reach the strings to pull / tie? - the sill is quite deep). Or I'd re-do what you've got but 1) extend the rail well beyond where it currently is, so that when open, the curtains do not obscure as much / at all the side windows:2) use a less fussy pleat and 3) a plain or less fussy fabric that doesn't create visual horizontal lines - which make the window look even lower in height.
  • Sylvia Brown
    9 years ago
    I have a semilar bay window in my north facing living room and, for the benefit of the purse, I keep mulling over different window treatments yet always coming back to shutters. I think if that look appeals to you, nothing else will do it. From the bit of research I have done, you should be able to i stall them in a bay and they should be fully openable for when you want that sunshine streaming in. Go for it, I say!
  • Monique de Beer
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Ours open fully but, depending on your configuration, you may have some 'overlap'.
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    9 years ago
    Using half height shutters on your windows sections may look awkward since you don't have a break in the glass like you would on a sash window. Leaving the shutters always on the glass will reduce the light substantially, even with the louvres open.

Because your window is all curved, with five divisions, you will need 5 Roman blinds. You could get over the farff of raising and lowering each blind daily by installing an electric remote controlled system. Light loss would be minimal if the blind pleats are on the small side.

What about using pleated blinds like Duette or Plisse by Luxaflex on each section. They stack up very tight to the headrail and come in a good range of colours. Teamed up with a pelmet (4-5" deep) of a patterned fabric, you'd have maximum light and night-time privacy.
  • Jill Gittins
    9 years ago
    My cottage sits directly on the roadside, and is overlooked by houses opposite. For me shutters were the best option. But in any other circumstances, for a sitting room or bedroom, given the choice, I would AVOID. They block daylight (but not totally, so insufficient in bedroom), they sit in clunky frames, and a few years down the line they're going to look very dated.
  • Sam Hill
    9 years ago
    Nah
  • Danny Tyler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all your comments , think I'm gonna do what Londoner said, extend my rail, take the pleat out and change the actually design of curtain

Thanks everyone
  • iolosdad
    9 years ago
    yeah i think extending the rail is the best option to maximise the light or bifold louvre shutters so the completly expose the window when they are open and if you wanted to soften the look have dress curtains full length either side of the window ? show us your after pix !
  • n247080
    9 years ago

Shutters would block a lot of the lite and restrict your view. Looks like you need something softer I'd continue with curtains but extend past their current end point so that when open all windows allow for light to come in and can be pulled shut during evening hours. Typical width of curtains should be 2 to 3 times the width of the window to allow for an attractive fullness.

• Michelle Davies
    8 years ago
    I love shutters , they look good anywhere
  • iolosdad
    8 years ago
    Do we get to see a finished photo with the new curtains ?
  • PRO
    London Interior Shutters
    8 years ago

If you are conscious that shutters may restrict the amount of light, I'd advise a larger slat/louvre (89mm). You'll be very surprised how much this can block the light when closed and how little light is lost when open. (Ensuring the design matches your windows).

As far as the finish, shutters look their best in bay windows. Look great inside and out.

• PRO
    Diamond Shutters
    7 years ago

Hi Danny shutters will let in more light than you think, maybe even going cafe style, i will attach a couple of photos of our installations. window shutters