Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wallizgrl

Need more decorating help in living room

wallizgrl
9 years ago
I've posted about this room in the past but...
This is our living room. We watch tv here, entertain here, build Legos here :) etc. I need some suggestions on finishing up this space on a pretty limited budget. We just purchased the couch and I love it. It reclines so a coffee table is probably not an option. As far as closing up the pass through a, I'm not real interested, as I don't want to make the rooms they pass through to feel enclosed.
What about the curtains with the rug? I'd rather not replace the rug ($$ wise) and the curtains I made but am open to changing.
The picture over the couch can go. I would like to put some scripture up there.
What about more and (different from what's there for sure) shelves? I can paint some furniture too. And I'm not opposed to moving furniture, although hubby wants to keep the couch where it is for optimal window viewing. :)
I know this will probably take me a few months to complete.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments (32)

• Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would add yellow and grey cushions to your couch and single chairs. Instead of a coffee table, perhaps two small ottomans that can be moved.. I would remove all of the small pictures and replace with a large print on both sides. Also until you replace, maybe lower the art above the couch a bit.
    [houzz=
    A Suburban Oasis · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    GDF Studio Durban Tray Top Storage Brown Leather Ottoman Coffee Table · More Info
    ]
    wallizgrl thanked Maureen
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I have considered those ottomans before. And it would give me more seating, maybe not comfy but more. I do have a rather large fabric ottoman in another room I could try and bring in. I love the gallery wall idea but mine is lacking! We have rearranged this room a few times so that is part of the problem. Thanks for that advise
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    all your art is much too high on the walls. it would be idea for this space to have the tv on the collage wall, and build the collage around it. fthen have a chair flank either side of the window, but not against the wall, to the corners of the carpet.i would also put a sofa table behind the couch and pull it off the wall. center the couch to the window across from it. if you must keep the pass through, i would framed it and possibly hang a mirror in a round shape to the right of it. not another square. you must start to think eye level when hanging art. start there.
    wallizgrl thanked flair lighting
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is a photo looking towards the couch.
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I think keeping the pass throughs is best, not ideal but I don't want to close off the rooms on the other side. We could possibly open it up more in the future but that is two separate rooms back there with an open door way just behind that picture. But we can have the other framed out or reframe both of them. They were there and like that when we purchased the house
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @flair lighting would you move the fireplace to where the TV is now?
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Look for some larger frames at a flea market or yard sale. Mix them in with your smaller frames and that will help balance the wall. They can be empty. Too many little, tiny pics are lost on the big wall. You need to fill in plus, they're all hung too high.
    wallizgrl thanked leelee
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Most rooms don't have a pass-thru (or two), especially at the height of yours. You'd be better off closing them in. It would give you lots more options to decorate that wall.

I think I remember your earlier post and it was mentioned several times to lower the picture over the sofa. Did you ever try that?
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    leelee no I didn't yet. I actually took it down for a while and then some how ended putting it back up. I would like to replace it, it was a quick fix and I don't think it goes in the room anyway.
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well alrighty then! It may take a while to get all of that done. As for the other two rooms, they aren't dark but smallish. The one behind the unframed window is a 'walk-in' pantry of sorts. Its only 10x10 and the kitchen is only about 10x12 (10x13). So while I will gain wall space, I am not going to gain places to hang cabinets etc. Just more pictures on the living room wall. So not sure its worth the amount of money to get it done right. My husband will not tackle that job.
    What console are you referring to? And which wall are you saying pony wall?
    So I get it, the pictures are too high! Got it! By the way the ceilings in this house are ONLY 7.5 feet high.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    take out the shelving on the right pass through, frame them both, wall done.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    i think we have given you this layout before. its not about weather you have more wall space to hang stuff. its about the fact that they are rather useless to you, just distract from the over all look of the space. but if you leave them at least frame them . i(t could be the best money spent on the space to close them up.) buy your own drywall , nails, etc. hire someone to just do the work.

as to the ceiling height, it has no effect on where the art should fall on the wall, and in this case would make the ceiling look more high than it is.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Girl, you've got inertia. Get the hammer out and lower that picture so it's about 5 inches over the sofa. At least it's a start and you can do the next little thing and before you know it. TA-DA!
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The pony wall could also go for all I care. Just trying to get the best layout for this room and make it better. I am fine to close the openings too, I was just concerned for the other rooms. I think they are AWEFUL! but didn't want to spend the money to close them to find out that the other rooms are now a little match box.
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Can you speak to the rug and curtains together? Are they too much? I will consider the other ideas you all have given.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    the pony wall can stay it was just being used as a reference as to where furniture should go. the rug is great fun and has good colors for accenting with. the collage wall has a good start but move the tv over there and re do. the curtains are great! now to add some red and blue accent pillows. and a coffee table. something re claimed or thrift store that could be painted. but if you would for our sake (lol) try moving the two chairs and tv first so we can see.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    you have a style, and you have good bones to work with, I dont want you to think we don't like your stuff. your collage wall has a great start...
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I can move and retake pictures. I really do appreciate the help. So would you put the fireplace against the pony wall? Its a cast iron non-working fireplace. Hubby wants to run gas line to it but not sure if we can if we move it. It currently has flameless candles in it but needs some greenery or something inside too. I think I should add chartreuse pillows or yellow, as the carpet and curtains both have chartreuse, no blue.
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Flair lighting. I like lots of different styles. When we first moved in our budget was in the negative so we had to work with what we had, now its in the black, so we are trying to make it better. I know it will never be in Better Homes and Gardens but I do want it to look good.
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What about a console like this? In red or black?
    Transitional Project 1 · More Info
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    My mother-in-law has a mid-centry piece but not sure if I could paint it, and not sure if its large enough. I've only gotten a peek of it in her garage.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    yes please do!!!!! post it to this thread so we all can see. the FP that doesnt work could go well in the corner where the tV was.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Pony wall is the half wall at the entry. Console is the low black chest under the picture collage. 7.5 ceilings are an even bigger reason to lower the pictures. There should always be more space between pictures and ceiling than between them and the furniture. Consider groupings that are more vertical than wide to "raise" the ceiling visually.
    wallizgrl thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 years ago
    I would consider adding yellow and green touches via pillows to the couch. You can pull from the draperies pretty easily.

Consider a smaller rug that compliments the yellow and green tones you add to the couch.

Finally, the artwork should be group more artisically. I think larger frames with different metal and wood stains would be a nice touch to this space.

I have a few blog posts that may serve as inspiration

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog
    wallizgrl thanked Timothy Rivers Interiors
  • PRO
    Diane Leone Design
    9 years ago
    I think the artwork has been discussed and I might have a large piece of art in place of the several pieces on the one wall as well as lower the piece over the sofa. a smaller area rug and pillows on the sofa with colors pulled from the drapery is a great idea as well. Shop for a couple of small ottomans with coordinating fabric/colors as they will give some visual weight to the area in front of the sofa and can easily be moved. Inexpensive start!
    wallizgrl thanked Diane Leone Design
  • msmliss
    9 years ago
    Fireplace!? What fireplace?! I see no fire break wall.

Rule of thumb for art: small collection of little frames should be clustered close together. ALL art should be hanging so that the center of the art is at eye level to an average height person. PLEASE rehang those.

The best solution for both of your pass-throughs is a wall of simple open bookshelves, no more than 12 inches deep. I built one myself, back in my college days, from simple 2 x 2's and boards very inexpensively. Then fill the openings with indoor plants! They'll hide the openings and hopefully provide lighting for them from both sides. And plants are cheap too! And you can design the shelving to keep the space open so that the framed picture in between--once lowered!!!--can be left there.
    wallizgrl thanked msmliss
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @msmliss, its a non-working cast-iron fire place. We currently have flameless candles in it, its not a console as was mentioned above but it closed, so its hard to tell what it is.
  • Jeena
    9 years ago
    Go with shelves like @msmliss suggested! You'll then be decorating rooms on either side. You can keep cookbooks, plants, and add knickknacks like the W you have on your wall.
    wallizgrl thanked Jeena
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    One window has a shelf in it already. But those can only be as deep as a wall. So I will be very limited in what I can put there. Unless I want the shelves to be hanging out into either room. But I do like the idea of not closing up the pass through from the kitchen to the living room. As odd as it is, I really enjoy looking from the kitchen to the yard while my kids play outside. But we are considering closing up the one that is not already framed out.
  • wallizgrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

https://olioboard.com/boards/367970-living-room

I am getting a new TV console from my mother-in-law. Its mid century style. I've put a board together. Give me your feedback please.