Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrispazzani

Sconce problem

Truffle lover
11 years ago
Hi,
Hope you can help. I purchased the campaign scones from restoration hardware similar to these. Once my contractor installed them, I noticed two problems. When the bulb is on, the wire that hooks the shade to the bulb creates an ugly shadow showing thought the shade, which was the recommended shade from restoration hardware also and the bulb that came with the sconce. Also, one shade won't sit straight no matter what I do.i contacted restoration hardware but don't think they care frankly. Can you tell me how come the ones in this picture don't exhibit these problems? Would a lower wattage or frosted bulb help perhaps? Do I need to now purchase better quality shades elsewhere? Thanks for any and all input - the overall look in the bathroom is just what I was hoping for so this little glitch is quite an annoyance.
Master Bathroom · More Info

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Cardea Building Co.
    11 years ago
    I don't remember if this was a problem that we encountered. I know that RH has some different options for shades which may work better. Sorry I could not be more help.
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks. I'm sort of getting used to it actually so it's moved down on my list of issues to deal with. I will say I was surprised by RH's response, or lack thereof, to my question since I bought the shade they recommended for it.
  • cml1229
    11 years ago
    Can you post a picture of the issue? I just bought the same Campaign fixture and the recommended shade but haven't installed it yet - is it still bothering you? I went to the store before I ordered and didn't notice the issue - did you?
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I ordered them online not in the store. Not sure I know how to post the pic but I will go try now.
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hope that helps. It's much worse at night. Looks like extra curved seams on the shades. Haven't tried lower wattage bulbs yet. Oddly I am starting to accept it, but since the remodel project is not done in master bath yet, we don't spend too much time in there so that could change.
  • cml1229
    11 years ago
    I can see the line you're talking about - that is annoying. And RH had no suggestions? A frosted bulb may help.....If you end up trying that and it works, will you let me know? I really like the fixture, but I may return it now - I'm going to go back to the store and check again.......

PS - Your renovation looks gorgeous!
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks! Can't wait to actually finish and use it. Steam shower, Soaking tub, et cetera. I feel like I've aged 20 years through this process! If I do switch bulbs and it works I will post. Need to go to lamps plus for exchange of some other broken bulbs anyway so maybe I will take one of these bulbs and shades with me and see if they suggest a frosted. What surprised me most was RH suggesting I purchase another shade from them when this is the shade they recommend for it and I already paid for. You would think they would be aware of the effect of the light coming through. Maybe it just doesn't bother most people? I'm a little anal I guess.
  • cml1229
    11 years ago
    Hi there - So, I went to Restoration Hardware and their sconce/shade combo has the SAME issue! But I just bought frosted bulbs and it solved the problem! Hope it works for you, too!
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That's so cool. Next run to the hardware store I am definitely getting frosted bulbs. Thank you so much for following up!
  • casene
    11 years ago
    Hi Chris, I am also interested in purchasing the Lugano single sconce from RH - polished nickel with white silk shade. Can you please let me know if this is the same combination you are referring to. Thanks.
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I bought the campaign sconces, three singles, in polished chrome. I purchased the "recommended" shade but now on the website I see it comes in linen or silk. My item number for the shade is 68300999 and it is in white. It says mildew resistant but doesn't say which fabric it is. It looks like some shades are now on final sale. I wonder if it was a problem. In one of their stores I mentioned it and the sales person suggested I try lamps plus for a different shade. I found that interesting. Trying to attach a picture now - it's evening and I have the scones on a dimmer.
  • Truffle lover
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That Lugano is beautiful! And it's on sale! I just saw it online. I think you will like it. The lines bothered me at first but now they don't even though they are more noticeable live than in the pictures. I think every bath since would have this problem unless the shade is attached with the screw type finial at top instead of the wires that sit over the bulb.
  • casene
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the information Chris, much appreciated!
  • bigplanet747
    11 years ago
    Wow - this bath is just perfect! The tile and blue/yellow colors are just beautiful together.
  • tcfish_912
    10 years ago
    i like the color~~~