Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzdahl

I want to update the shiny brass hardware in the kitchen. We have plain round shiny brass knobs.

suzdahl
11 years ago
My dilemma is the expensive Baldwin shiny brass door hardware in the entire house. I really don't want to replace the door hardware. What "look" should I use for knobs. Is it okay to mix the brass hardware with something completely different? I also have expensive brass pendant lights. Should they match whatever the new knob hardware is? If this was your house what would you do??

Comments (17)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Matching is not as big a deal today as it once was. Find hardware you like for the kitchen and go for it!
  • csmrtn
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think if you were to pair these knobs with some long brass appliance pulls it would totally update the look. You could use the existing hole and drill one more to accomplish this look without needed filler. If your taste runs more traditional, consider glass or crystal! You might also consider cutting out a couple of your raised panels and replacing them with glass for whole new look! Brass is back and very relevant in interior design! Your countertops are lovely!
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    Spray paint them in silver.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Home
    11 years ago
    I often mix shiny brass (which I do not adore) with antique brass. The AB has a more understated feel. I like csmrtn's idea to do a brass base with a glass knob. That way they match, but you are not staring at the brass.
  • csmrtn
    11 years ago
    ...and you could mix and match the crystal with the brass backplate with some of the solid brass. Smart, interesting and eclectic!
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    11 years ago
    I recommend bronze or matt black hardware in a traditional style which will work beautifully with the brass door knobs. The bronze or black knobs compliment the Old World look of the cabinets , your copper collection and ceramic rooster. Check out "Top Knobs" . They have several collections that I think you would like. I think glass knobs would get lost on the whitewashed doors. An antique brass finish could also work.
  • charliemycat
    11 years ago
    Knobs don't have to match throughout your whole house, but please keep the knob configuration. If you change to a pull configuration, you will most definitely have to re-drill holes. I would be very cautious. I personally would change them out to an oil rubbed bronze, but you could also try spray painting them an oil rubbed bronze. Not sure how long spray paint will last on the knobs. However, feel free to spray paint your expensive light fixtures, I have done this and the paint will last as long as you want it to, and then can be removed with a solvent if you wish years down the road. Or you can spray paint them again a different color of your choice at the time. There are "patina" products that you can dip your current knobs in, but I'm pretty sure they will remove the coating that keeps your knobs bright and tarnish free. This will not be easily reversed.

You can be sure brass will be a trend again sometime, not sure when, so I'd keep them somewhere in the house.
  • elklaker
    11 years ago
    There are products to "antique" brass fixtures. You may want to ask at your local hardware store. It would be less expensive than replacing them if you like the antique look.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    I can identify with "inheriting" shiny brass doorknobs, etc. Our house was built in 1964 by a couple who wanted only the best, and the best at that time was shiny brass. I have kept the door knobs because they are beautiful, if currently out of style. However, the original knobs in our kitchen were painted china knobs, which I recently replaced with stainless to tie in better with the chrome faucet and stainless cover plate for the built-in grill. So, even an expertly designed house did not carry the brass to the kitchen. The suggestions others have given you are all good ones in my opinion.
  • lizzybethme
    11 years ago
    My Mom spray painted her kitchen knobs, which were brass, this past summer. She used Rustoleum spray paint and painted them a pewter silver. (Not sure of exact color name). They turned out quite well!!
  • suzdahl
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks to everybody for your suggestions! They were very helpful!
  • alwaysdesigning
    9 years ago
    I spray painted all of mine in Oil Rubbed Bronze on wood cabinets; use Rustoleum brand; it's the best and wears fantastically. Try it in a silvered color for your light color cabinets. Just repaint as needed. I painted all the old dated shiny gold bath faucets and fixtures too in the same paint; worked like a charm.
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    We repainted a bunch of light fixtures, and some fixtures in the tub with Crylon's ORB spray paint as the reviews on Rustoleum said the nozzles were bad. They came out great, and saved us close to $400.
  • shadowstep
    last year

9 years later and these are now trending again :)

• Ashley
    last year

Thinking the same thing!! I’m debating between polish and satin knobs/handles for our kitchen remodel, paired with a satin English gold Perrin & Rowe bridge faucet. I prefer the look of the shiny! Haha

• chloe00s
    last year

You can spray paint the knobs or you can purchase a bottle of a brass aging solution. I used the brass aging on some knobs and they came out great.