What lighting? What to do w/kitchen ceiling?
davenlis
December 23, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Help, Houzzers! This is a recent remodel. What lighting to install in kitchen? Not a fan of fluorescent (the tubes, already there), but there's no access from above ceiling to install can lights. Also, what to do about the difference in ceiling materials? For various reasons, the tongue-in-groove cannot be removed. If we sheetrock over it to make ceiling uniform, there will be a difference of about 1 inch in the level of the two. What to do???
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davenlis
View from opposite side
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 3:55PM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Wow, those flush mount ceiling fixtures really don't do this kitchen justice. You can install can lights, designed for retrofits, but it would mean taking down the existing ceiling sheet rock, fishing wires and replacing the sheet rock and repainting (if you go this route, consider Juno LED cans for remodeling). You could try a track light but you will have to source of the power off the existing J-boxes which might not be optimally located. You could also consider cable and rail (see attached photo) with a ceiling mounted transformer as this form is flexible with regards to where you place the rail and transformer. LBL, Bruck, WAC and Stone Light Design are good sources for this style of lighting.
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 3:58PM
davenlis
Yeah, we left the tubes there from the remodel so we'd at least have light to cook by (the pendants aren't nearly enough)! Anyway - THANK YOU! Great ideas for lighting! Any thoughts on what to do about the ceiling?!
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 4:09PM
groveraxle
I think either a cable or rail system would be just the ticket for this room. As for the ceiling, sheetrock over the tongue-and-groove AND the existing sheetrock.
1 Like   December 23, 2012 at 4:32PM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
As for the ceiling treatments, if you sheet rock over the T&G you will have a transition but this can be "masked" by a piece of trim that is dadoed. Have you considered painting the T&G (blasphemy to wood enthusiasts!)? If you cover over the whole ceiling with sheet rock then you may have issues with j-boxes being recessed making it difficult to install lights and your crown molding may get covered (hard to tell if you have a shadow line).
0 Likes   December 23, 2012 at 4:38PM