Need help with a paint color for kitchen that will extend into living room and dining room
thilmanowski
I am greatly struggling with a paint color that will compliment my kitchen cabinets. The cabinets are a dark brownish/sl. reddish color, not my favorite but hoping the right color will distract me. We just purchased the home and the prior owner had a blue/purple color throughout the entire first floor, it has to go. I love grays but just don't think they look right with the granite and cabinets. I have ordered new appliance (GE Cafe line) and currently searching for a glass tile backsplash as well. Current colors I am debating are BM Revere Pewter HC-172, BM Grant Beige HC-83, SW jogging path 7638 and Valspar Limestone EB36-3. I just don't think I have found the right color yet. I love pottery barn and restoration hardware type design, casual and yet coastal. I think I am over thinking it at this point as I am afraid that grays don't match and I really do not want to do a simple beige as I so desire color in this home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, only thing is at this point I can not change cabinets or flooring so please consider that. I purchased a solaris 28" chandelier from Crystorama Lighting for above the island so far. This room is open to the entire main living area of the first floor so the color will continue throughout the house..... I think anyway. I thank those who take the time to read this and respond as I love all the designs on this site and so value your opinions, I unfortunately love to look at design but have not a creative bone in my body.
I attached 2 pictures for you to view cabinets and counter tops. Tile floor is dark tan with grays, browns and almost an orange type color.
Thank you,
Tara
Personally I don't mind the color currently on the wall, but if you are looking for less contrast, consider something towards more brown tones.

December 23, 2012 at 4:39pm     
patty526
Pale yellow, and 3/4 it on the ceiling.the cabinets are fine, and it won't be much paint seen once the fridge and backsplash are in. I would change the blades...or drop a cool lite in place of the fan. Quick, cheap. Make sure the yellow has the same tone as the floors grey..I'm talking getting some samples on a piece of rock, and holding it up there. God knows, there are thousands of yellows, but you are not really going to see a lot of it anyway. So get one that goes with floor, and I am sure it will go with the cabinets as well. That dark, reddish brown has an affinity for yellow, but only you can be in that kitchen to decide!
December 23, 2012 at 4:51pm     
A Kitchen That Works LLC
I would recommend that you consider a full height tile back splash before you consider the wall color. Finding tile that compliments both the cabinets, the countertops and the floor may allow you to see more merit in your cabinets and bring your own style into this room which originally created by another.
December 23, 2012 at 6:14pm     
jjdesignkloos
Personally, I like the gray with dark brown cabinetry; and it sounds like the flooring also has both colours in it. The part that bothers me the most is the countertops.....I would like to see a darker gray countertop; and then gray/white glass tile backsplash.....just tossing out some ideas.....
December 23, 2012 at 6:39pm     
TanCalGal
As has been said, choose paint color last. Easier to match paint to other items in room. I like color, but find it is more tasteful in small amounts. The orange in floor sounds interesting how about orange stools Elsie Street

Keep back splash tile very simple, the granite and flooring are busy Kitchen

The wall color I'd match to an off white that is found in the kitchen already: in the flooring or grout AND granite.

Here an article on choosing wall paint http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2011/07/testing-wall-color-101/
December 23, 2012 at 7:48pm     
Tight Lines Construction Inc
I would suggest a mushroom brown (high speed steel - Valspar) similar to what is shown in this article I just found on houzz.com... Darker for more drama, lighter to make the room seem larger. Exterior walls will "disappear" at night with darker colors. I would also look at larger glass tiles in a subway pattern for the walls, less trendy...

Good luck and Happy Holidays.
December 23, 2012 at 8:26pm     
Yvonne Johnson
I would change the island to white( like Ceasarstone)... Too much granite...Then do white glass tile backsplash in small,long,rectangles.You won't have much to paint after you put the fridge in- so pick the color you like best for the living area- you don't need to be " matchy!-matchy- add a couple cool bar stools and new stainless cabinet pulls!
December 23, 2012 at 11:59pm     
Maria Killam
The biggest problem with the current colour (as you know) is that it in no way relates to your existing countertop and floor. If you want a colour that is in the grey realm I would consider Manchester Tan or Grant Beige.

Here's a post I wrote about choosing grey that might help you feel better about the vast selection: http://www.mariakillam.com/2011/03/are-you-waiting-for-your-paint-colour-to-propose.html

The ONLY option for your backsplash is a solid creamy colour in a subway tile, there is enough pattern going on now with the floor and countertops.

Hope this helps,
Maria
December 24, 2012 at 5:49am     
apennameandthata
Here's my solution. Forget the colour walls in hardware stores with only 1000 colours. I an in Australia and got the Dulux colour atlas that has 4000 colours. It makes ALL the difference. You can actually get a colour scheme going. It costs $165 and is not advertised, probably because they sell them at a loss but need it to be cheap enough for the trade to buy them. I expect there is similar stuff in the US.
December 24, 2012 at 5:51am     
Stepping Stone
Hi There,

So I would go with a warmer than grey colour, a mocha brown perhaps, your last paint choice was a goody, something to complement your cabinetry. Also you can look into copper splash backs as well, copper is back and popular too!

All the best with your make over!
December 25, 2012 at 3:05am   
Marek Slomkowski
White Cotton - Dulux may do it better.....
December 25, 2012 at 11:53am   
thilmanowski
Thank you so much for all your comments.... I think I have a vision now!! I am going counter top shopping tomorrow for sure. You all are great, have a happy holiday. Tara
December 25, 2012 at 1:48pm     
ameyc2
I love the colour I have my living space in grey which leads into the kitchen area I have in blue devided by a large block of coffee mist in the entry way between the rooms....Seige would look beautifullll
December 26, 2012 at 6:42am