Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fsball

Navy Blue Cabinets/Copper Countertops?

Francesca
11 years ago
I am wanting to paint my kitchen cabinets Navy Blue and have Copper Counter tops (I will pull the counter tops off and have particle board cut to fit the cabinets, diy-ing the counter tops)

I want a cork floor, in a almost traditional looking long cut.

I don't want the cabinets to look too modern, but I also don't like the dark '80s look they are now. There's plenty of light in the kitchen. I have to DIY the whole thing because I only have about $25,000 to fix up the whole home and I have other things I need to have as well.

Do you all like the idea of navy cabinets with copper counter tops and do you think it would be too modern looking with the cork flooring?

Comments (28)

• charleee
    11 years ago
    I think it would be a very interesting look. I have painted copper countertops, my cabinets are white and denim blue, and I love the look. I'm a little concerned about the particle board absorbing water and swelling, that would ruin all your hard diy work. I can't advise about the cork floor, but here's a pic with copper countertops and black cabinets, it's as close as I could get to the navy:

[houzz=
    Copper island countertop · More Info
    ]
  • Francesca
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you Bobbi! I saw a tutorial on DIY network that had them layering copper over particle board.... What would you (or anyone else) recommend to have cut? MDF? Plywood? I'm not sure.

I joked to a friend that I should use something like deck wood (water resistant). But what would someone layer the copper over? I have only seen that one on DIY. I also saw someone (somewhere online) who claimed they took their old formica counter and sanded it completely even and layered the copper over that.
  • Margaret Phillips
    11 years ago
    You often can get old laminate countertops at the salvage places. Home Restore near here is a mixture of old and new building material. It benefits Habitat For Humanity. A new laminate countertop is only about $150. Depending on the size. Be very cool. I'd love to see your finished project sounds so nice
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Most countertops in wet areas are layed over cement board, or green board I think is another name for it. I wouldn't recommend any kind of sub-surface that could absorb water. I would love to see a pic when you're done, please?
  • PRO
    Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
    11 years ago
    I think that the combo would be great but not sure about the cork.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    Cork floors should be lovely. I hope you have a lot of light in your kitchen, both daylight and light fixtures. You could do navy lower cabinets and white uppers for a lighter look. Here's a photo of a nice kitchen with cork floors.
    Craftsman Kitchen · More Info
  • PRO
    McCabe By Design LLC
    11 years ago
    I would recommend you get a 2'x2' piece of scrap wall board or plywood and paint it the dark blue that interests you and leave it in the intended space for few days to see how you feel about it because it is a strong color that will absorb light. You might consider the blue for the base cabs and something lighter and more reflective for the wall cabs. Consider Maine ply rather than particle board for the sub top for the counters. Cork is a great flooring material for kitchens but if you have dogs be sure to keep their nails clipped short.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    I think that the combo would be great. I like the cork floor idea. It is easy to stand on and is a green product.
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    No advice for you, just wanting to say I think the combo sounds beautiful.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Plywood - not particle board (will fall apart) or MDF (too heavy.) The idea of trying before buying is good on the dark blue - lack of natural light will make for a dark cave.
  • Grace Reed
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think it's a great idea and a gutsy and welcome change from white cabinets, marble countertops (as beautiful as they are). Pictures of your kitchen would be great.
  • Francesca
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I plan on posting before and after photos after I am done. I am still in the process of purchasing the home (short sales are lovely).

I'll take the advice about testing out the navy.

The issue that I failed to mention about the kitchen is that it is in Southern Indiana and there is rarely sunlight in the winter. There are several windows though, so it will be bright in the summer. In the winter, I intend on installing extra lights in the kitchen (and hopefully, eventually, being able to afford new cabinetry).

I love white cabinetry. I just wish it wouldn't be so ubiquitous. I am hoping for a somewhat timeless look, and my concern that the pairing, while pretty now, won't be later. :-)

I keep thinking about the lovely green bathroom a friend of mine has. The tile is in wonderful shape but it is that lovely olive green (it was put in in the 1970s). It's gorgeous, but definitely outdated.
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 years ago
    OLLDBobbi, cement board is a cement based product designed to be used under tile. Greenboard is a water resistant drywall known by the green colored face of the product. Greenboard is for use in bathrooms, mudrooms, laundry rooms but not under the tile.
  • Francesca
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The last real question I think I have (before I go and ponder the rest of this advice), what does anyone think about laying the copper (I've worked with metal before, so I know 'how' to glue it but....) over the laminate counters that are there now?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    That I don't know, but is it possible to give your copper a hammered finish so that every little dent and scratch will not be so apparent?
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    Is heat conduction an issue with copper countertops?
  • Francesca
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Carolyn - I plan on doing that with them. I do have friends who are metal workers I can contact for ideas (and I have worked with metal before).

There's nothing that I can find, orangecamera, about heat conduction but I presumed that there would be some, considering it's metal. However, copper is a pretty neat metal, having a lot of good qualities, like being naturally anti-microbial.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    This idea is sounding better and better! I hope you do it, I can't wait to see the results.

Linda, thanks for the explanation!
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 years ago
    Copper is an excellent conductor of heat., much better than stainless steel or aluminum.

Jusst curious, what gauge metal will you be using and where are you getting it from?
  • Francesca
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Linda, I have been researching, and I can't say exactly where I am getting it from. There are plenty of websites, but I also know that I might be able to purchase it locally.

As for the gauge, I'm still researching that. I have read that a 24 gauge is best. I'm not sure though. This project is about two months away before I start it, maybe even three or four. The goal is to finish the project.

I have no idea when I am going to get into my home. I'm waiting on the bank to approve the short sale. And it's the holidays. And it's just dumped about 6 inches of snow on our 'not accustomed to more than 2" town" so I imagine I won't be into the home until well after the new year.
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 years ago
    Hope you have better luck than I'm having with bank approval for short sales. I have had an offer outstanding on a short sale house since last December and the bank hasn't even responded yet.
  • Francesca
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yeah, supposedly it's a small bank and I am second in the row to be approved. I'm paying 'cash', so that moved me into a different line. My Realtor refuses to work with banks that take too long. I've really only been waiting about a month and a half, so I know I am being impatient. But I really want to work on the house.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Meanwhile we're having fun trying to help you and hope it works out well for you.
  • Francesca
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you, Carolyn.

Of course, I should warn ALL of you that my mind is apt to change. I am a writer and the daughter of an artist. I will, however, say that I am really in love with the idea of copper in the kitchen. I like the concept of warmth in the kitchen. My last 'DIY' kitchen was painted cabinets (white) with red trim in a red kitchen that held the color red very well. The floor was *shudder* vinyl tile. I didn't mind the tile that much but really wish I would have checked other options.

I'm trying a slightly modern yet classic look that will likely offset the quirk that I will have in the rest the house. I am likely going to have a brightly colored rug in the next room (it currently has a boring beige one), and am going to rip out the carpet that is on the stairs to the second floor. That carpet is old and a grayish (dirty) beige/boring.

The home next door (which is a gorgeous two story home built in the same time frame) has all refinished wood flooring. That's my eventual renovation goal for my home.

I am going to replace the front storm door (It's Indiana, it needs a storm door). I am going to repaint the front porch roof (it's blue and I am going to keep that). The back yard is small and previously landscaped with a goldfish pond that has me worried.

I'm going to repaint the lovely (fake, wallpapered wood paneling) 'guest bedroom/office.

I am going to definitely put a vanity and replace the pedestal sink (because I am a makeup artist as well).
  • minemine
    11 years ago
    Just a word of caution. You said you joked with a friend about using deck wood because it is waterproof. Please do not use wood that is meant for outdoor use. Some wood is heat treated to kill off wood boring insects, while others are chemically treated. You could inadvertently expose yourself and your family to toxic substances. I like the idea of layering the copper over the laminate. I hope you find a solution that works and be sure to post after pictures.
  • Francesca
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you minemine - I realize the danger of deck wood but I wouldn't use it.

As for layering the copper over the laminate, I really like that idea while I am not looking at the kitchen, but I haven't quite figured out how to do it.

I definitely can't wait to use a tape measure and my own sensibilities on that home.
  • PRO
    Linda
    11 years ago
    The brainstorming of ideas and possibilities is always the most fun! when reality arrives and we start having to say "should I" instead of "could I" is not so much fun. You have some really neat ideas and I can't wait to hear how your projects work out.