help with kitchen island bar...
joni51
what is the width of the island from the cabinet base to where the chairs are. we need to know how much more counter to add to make a small eating bar.... thanks
Interiors International, Inc.
I never go less than a 18" over hang. This gives you plenty of leg room without needing to add additional support for the top. Unless you are using a delicate material with a lot of veining.
   December 26, 2012 at 7:21AM
Woodcliffe Design
Assuming the counter is stone, I agree with the 18" overhang. Make sure there is plenty of space behind the chairs to walk especially when the chairs are pulled out.
   December 26, 2012 at 7:42AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Our stone suppliers will not allow anything more than 12" without additional support. The answer to your question would be dependent upon the shape of the island and where the overhang is. An overhang on one end of the island to create seating would require different support than one off the front of the island.
   December 26, 2012 at 7:51AM
While 18" is probably ideal, our 13" overhang works well for us. We use small backless rush seated counter stools similar to the one shown below. I hope you're doing your overhang at same level as countertop which is usually 36". I agree with Deborah about support being needed with more than a 12" overhang.

Did you ever consider that we concern ourselves about the overhang of the bar but don't worry too much about the hangover we may acquire while sitting there.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Riverside Color Mates Rush Seat Counter Stool - 2 Pack Waldfogel Residence
   December 26, 2012 at 8:01AM
Kitchen Island Bar Stool Help!
I'm looking for bar stools for my kitchen. We bought...
Heart pine kitchen bar on island--stain and finish help needed
Hi, This is a beach house so think neutrals, lights,...
Breakfast bar or no bar for kitchen island
Were remodeling and changing the long peninsula into...
Two different floors in one room!
Just bought a new house and the downstairs floor is...
Help with exterior colors.
I am about to re-shingle my house. I'd like to paint...
Flooring options??
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...