Need suggestions to replace under cabinet lighting in kitchen
eselvickDecember 26, 2012
Lights are 20+ year old flourescents. Lighting is bad, and they are a (expensive) maintenance nightmare. Also have same lights on top of cabinets as indirect lighting source. Kitchen is galley type with high overhead ceiling.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ATGStores.com
Hi, Eselvick! We're wondering what kind of fluorescent bulbs you're using, because you can often get LED lights to replace them. For instance, these LED tube lights (http://www.atgstores.com/led-light-bulbs/ledshine-ust8-2hp9-cw-f-useagled-t8-tube-led-light-bulbs_g1291434.html?isku=9533570&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage) can replace fluorescent tube bulbs and can also be selected by wattage, length and the type of cover. In any event, replacing your fluorescent bulbs with LEDs can help you save money by lasting longer and using less energy while still keeping your work space cool. We hope this info helps and wish you luck!
    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 12:04PM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
AGT has provided a good quick fix but I am concerned that the ballasts are probably noisy and that they flicker (do not come on instantly), two very annoying characteristics.
There are so many options available. Determine how many fixtures (in what lengths) you will need to cover the area you want and what features you would like them to have such as do you want them to be dimmable at the unit or at the switch, can multiple units be daisy chained so that you can use just one driver (for LEDs) or just one transformer (low voltage halogen), what is the profile on the the fixture and will it be obscured by the current recess under the cabinets or an existing light valance, how much existing wire is coming out of the wall and is it sufficient for using with new fixtures, what color temperature would you like for the bulbs, etc.? Once you have answers to some of these questions you will be able to narrow your search for new fixtures.
    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 12:23PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Home Depot, Lowes and Menards all have great LED lights that will work well for you. They are inexpensive and maintenance free.
    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 12:27PM