Need suggestions to replace under cabinet lighting in kitchen
eselvickDecember 26, 2012
Lights are 20+ year old flourescents. Lighting is bad, and they are a (expensive) maintenance nightmare. Also have same lights on top of cabinets as indirect lighting source. Kitchen is galley type with high overhead ceiling.
ATGStores.com
Hi, Eselvick! We're wondering what kind of fluorescent bulbs you're using, because you can often get LED lights to replace them. For instance, these LED tube lights (http://www.atgstores.com/led-light-bulbs/ledshine-ust8-2hp9-cw-f-useagled-t8-tube-led-light-bulbs_g1291434.html?isku=9533570&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage) can replace fluorescent tube bulbs and can also be selected by wattage, length and the type of cover. In any event, replacing your fluorescent bulbs with LEDs can help you save money by lasting longer and using less energy while still keeping your work space cool. We hope this info helps and wish you luck!
    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 12:04PM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
AGT has provided a good quick fix but I am concerned that the ballasts are probably noisy and that they flicker (do not come on instantly), two very annoying characteristics.
There are so many options available. Determine how many fixtures (in what lengths) you will need to cover the area you want and what features you would like them to have such as do you want them to be dimmable at the unit or at the switch, can multiple units be daisy chained so that you can use just one driver (for LEDs) or just one transformer (low voltage halogen), what is the profile on the the fixture and will it be obscured by the current recess under the cabinets or an existing light valance, how much existing wire is coming out of the wall and is it sufficient for using with new fixtures, what color temperature would you like for the bulbs, etc.? Once you have answers to some of these questions you will be able to narrow your search for new fixtures.
    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 12:23PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Home Depot, Lowes and Menards all have great LED lights that will work well for you. They are inexpensive and maintenance free.
    Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 12:27PM
? on certain kitchen cabinet replacements
A few years ago, we had to replace our center island,...
diyher
Kitchen lighting help needed - what can I replace the fluorescent strips with?
Need help in replacing the horrible fluorescent strip...
houstonpicky
Need help with selecting under cabinet lighting
I need help with deciding what type of bulb to use...
gharris8
Need help with replacing kitchen lighting.
House is on lake but is not rustic. The architectural...
tollettk
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
redo small breakfast room that flows off a traditional kitchen,
we are thinking counter height table, using black and...
wbgross
Granite colors
Here I go again! I am doing my cabinets in Dover White...
marybaird89
Bedroom help needed please
Bought new nightstand, mercury glass lamps... trying...
Julie Dyer
Nursery wall art - how high to hang?!? Please help a first timer!
Hi all! - I'm hanging 8 different little animals in...
bonnieanneryan