Anyone know anything about red ivys

rubbleshopApril 17, 2007

Hi,

I am new to gardening but want to grow red ivy up my wall. I can't find anyone who sells it.

Does anyone know where I can get a reliable red strain?

Pond

Are you sure you're after ivy and not virginia creeper, which turns red in the autumn?

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 5:09AM
rubbleshop

No, I want red ivy, because I want it to keep it's leaves all winter.

The only red on I can find is one I found in the wild and took a cutting. It has red leaves with yellow veins. However I have to check it through every few months and remove any rogue green shoots. I am looking for a proper one (i.e. commercially bred one) as I am hoping that would not produce any rogue green shoots, so would be less hassle. Also I imagine official strains may be even brighter as mine is burgandy red.

I can't find any red ivys on sale anywhere, so imagine I must be the only person who wants one.

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 5:31AM
stevethelizard

fibrex near eversham is the national collection holder but i dont remember ever seeing a red cultivar you might have a one off there

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 6:47AM
lori_londonuk

Hedera Helix 'Glymii' has red-purple leaves with lighter-looking veins. New spring growth will be green as it takes on the reddish colouring in winter, according to the RHS encyclopaedia. Also 'Atropurpurea' may be worth a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedera Helix Glymii

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 12:54PM
rubbleshop

That's anice one - I will look into whether anyone is selling it.

It is quite different from mine. New shoots on mine are green or yellow with traces of burgandy, but darken with age to burgandyish.

Just been out in the dark and grabbed a handful of my ivy to show you.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 4:40PM
pnbrown

Gorgeous.

Looks like english ivy to me, other than the color (is english ivy called that in england?).

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 8:40PM
rubbleshop

In England we just call it ivy.

It is just wild ivy from a Devon, England, woods. I saw one plant growing red, so pulled off some bits, which all took root.

I was hoping that there was a better one commercially available, but am begining to suspect perhaps not from the posts here?.

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 4:51PM
ornata

I've seen a lot of ivy cultivars, and many of them do turn reddish in the colder months. However, they always seem to revert to green when the weather warms up. Sometimes the older leaves turn red before dying off. Your plant sounds like a bit of find; is the new growth red also?

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 7:27AM
rubbleshop

Mine grows with new yellowish green leaves tinged with red edges. As the leaf ages the red gradually moves inwards and by 8 to 10 weeks, leaves are mainly red with distinct yellow veins. The very old leaves darken still more to almost black before dying off.

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 7:36AM
ornata

I sometimes visit the RHS London shows and check out the ivy display by Fibrex Nurseries, hoping to see an ivy with red/purple-tinged foliage. No such luck. You've done well!

Bookmark   May 3, 2007 at 6:17AM
flora_uk

Why don't you contact Fibrex or the RHS and see if they are able to advise you on whether your plant has commercial potential?

Bookmark   May 3, 2007 at 9:19AM
rubbleshop

I don't think it would interest them because one in every 6 or so branches throws back to green and green shoots grow faster than red ones, so I have to prune green shoots out every month to keep it spectacular red looking.

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 4:20PM
ornata

Well, a lot of plants with interesting foliage (such as variegated Euonymus) will revert and send out all-green shoots which take over if not pruned out. A once-monthly pruning doesn't sound like a huge chore (although when added to the hundreds of other garden jobs, I suppose it might well get overlooked).

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 9:49AM
rob.stoner

Hi there,
I've been looking around and I can't find any mention really of any type of ivy the colour that you're looking for. It seems that you might have found yourself a new cultivar? Have you taken a piece of it to a local nursery or garden centre to see what they have to say? Maybe they could help you? If not you might just have to keep pinching all the green stems off. Oh well. But I guess it's better than not having it at all. Good luck finding more about it. I was wondering if I could have a cutting of it though?
Thanks, Rob

Bookmark   May 31, 2007 at 6:19PM
first_timer_2007

Do you mean the Boston Ivy?

They have one at Crocus.co.uk - its latin name is Parthenocissus tricuspidata Veitchii. I wanted one of these because it grows in shade. It's very beautiful from the pictures.

Regards,

Nicola

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 10:37AM
flora_uk

This question was cleared up right at the top of the post, Nicola. The ivy in question is a real ivy - Hedera helix. Boston 'ivy' is a misnomer. It will grow massive and could cover your entire house if you let it. If you really want one read up on it and get it from an ordinary garden centre or nursery. Crocus rely on very beguiling pretty pictures and very high prices.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 11:21AM
ornata

Try Parthenocissus henryana. Much more attractive than P tricuspidata, in my opinion. The leave have pale veining and purple backs, and it has good autumn colour. It grows extremely well in even dense shade.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 6:41AM
rubbleshop

Hi Ornata,

I have got that taking over my house wall already

See the 7th photo down on the link below:-

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to part of my garden

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 7:19AM
flora_uk

Rubble - I think that suggestion was directed to firsttimer. And as for your creeper ha! That's a baby! :) I have it all up the back of my house from basement area to the roof - four floors. It has to be trimmed at least twice every summer and appears to be growing out of neat concrete. But if you want the jungle look it's great.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 12:46PM
rubbleshop

I keep mine to about 7ft It grows so quickly and if it gets out of reach it only takes a few weeks before it starts climbing in through my bathroom window - literally!

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 5:20PM
pnbrown

Does hedera helix not grow huge in britain? Now I'm more confused. Here what I believe is helix (or possibly hiburnicus) has indeed covered my house, including growing onto the roof and has invaded the basement. It grows in shade and sun. If it were edible I wouldn't have to buy food.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 6:58AM
ornata

Hedera helix does indeed grow huge in the UK. But we shifted to discussing other types of climber also known by the common name of "ivy", in this case Parthenocissus.

And yes, Rubbleshop, perhaps I should have thought before recommending P. henryana so fulsomely to Nicola! Mine is still a baby; I'm just happy that such an attractive climber will grow in shade. I'm sure I'll be cursing it in a few years' time.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 9:52AM
Josh

Rubbleshop, you might want to check out this site to see if you can find a match.. Your plant is beautiful and should certainly be preserved and propagated for Ivy enthusiasts like me! Good luck. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedera databank

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 11:05AM
organic_flowerpotman

I too have a red ivy. The original plant is growing wild in a hedgerow near to where I live in Normandy (similar climate to Devon). All the ivies in the same hedge have leaves that are various shades of red and purple, - some really worth cultivating. The leaves on the flowering branches always seem to be paler than those lower down and sunshine (or lack of it) seems to have a bearing on the intensity of colour.
I have put some pictures of both red and purple varieties on a web page here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Nature notes

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 11:11AM
rubbleshop

Your ivy looks similar, though not the same because the viens in yours are darker than the leaf and in mine the veins are yellow mostly. It is interesting that you have a similar strain in Normandy though. Perhaps it is just the climate which causes it to go like this? How cold does it get in Normany? I am wonderig if it happens when ivy's do not get exposed to frosts ever? Devon rarely gets frosts.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 11:33AM
organic_flowerpotman

We get a couple of weeks each winter when the wind comes from the east and temperature drops to -10C or so. Otherwise I think rainfall and temperatures are similar. In the same hedgerow, there are perfectly normal dark green ivy plants but there are a significant number of red and purple ones. The hedges are pretty old so there has been time for the individual plants to cross breed
I think that for the most part the veins are light like yours, varying between green and yellow. All these varieties are very pretty and I am going to try to build up a collection of them. One of the things I shall experiment with is the amount of direct sunshine. I have the impression that this can affect the intensity of colour in the leaves.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 4:36PM
organic_flowerpotman

I think we are talking about variations in colouring of Hedera helix ÂAtropurpurea and/or Hedera Helix 'Glymii'

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 9:40AM
Does anyone know anything about Ryan homes and NVR mortgage co?
My husband and I are in the process of buying our second...
Kelley Stockton
anyone know anything about paradigm windows
Trying to decide between Anderson replacement Windows...
Peggy Fisher
Is there anything about this rug that works for my foyer?
I purchased a rug today to try in my foyer. I'm trying...
kittybart
Berry Plant ID please
Hi Can anybody identify what plant this is please?...
dwts1975
Evergreen plants with large flowers
Hi, I am looking for some evergreen plants as above,...
vanguard0ne
Loquat tree
I have a plant, grown from seed, that has been identified...
burville
twinkling star
Hello. Are we allowed to put the same question in different...
charlie-ia
Plant ID Please
Saw this on a trip to Dublin a while back... just curious...
asudevil311 - zone 9b