Gable end color
fhoversland
We have very dark gray siding which I love, but am disappointed in the color of the gabel ends. The exterior isn't finished yet. The pillars on the porch will be white and there will be gray/blue stone work also. Just not sure if the blue is working. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks
Jayme H.
I think it's too light and from what I can see in this pic, think a different shade is needed. I think a lighter grey (than siding) would look better/or even white, with white trim and columns...but leaning towards a grey tone.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 4:48PM
houssaon
You could go with the same dark grey of the siding, then the gables would be the main attraction.
Whale grey would look good. It has blue undertones, but it is still gray.
1 Like   December 26, 2012 at 4:59PM
Nancy Hehmann
Go to Valspar paint website. They are supposed to have software on there that if you upload your picture, you can change colors so you can "see" what it might look like on your structure. I think white would look nice where the blue is now. Have a happy holiday!
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 5:41PM
carolannr
I think that if it was the same color as the rest of the siding, the accent of the white on the fascia board trim will be enough of an accent for the gable. Given that you will be adding white to the front with the pillars and the added contrast of the stone, it will be just too busy with another color on the gable end.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 5:52PM
claudiann
Will you have enough room under the gable to put furniture? Could you use the color on the gable on pots, cushions, or other accessories to tie it in to the ground? I think landscaping will make a difference also.
0 Likes   December 26, 2012 at 8:50PM
Arlen Dau
The lighter the color on a house, the more is stands out. The white windows and trim is the first thing that grabs the eye, followed by the light colored gable end. If you want the gable end to have less importance, then paint it the same color as the siding. If you are looking for an accent, then paint the gable a slightly darker color than the siding. Maybe also consider painting the supports the same darker gray, unless you want posts to stand out. It would be pretty easy to buy a quart of darker gray paint and do one of the posts and see for yourself - easy to paint over if you want white. Am also assuming you will be adding hand-railings? The hand railing or stiles would be the place for white paint if you want them to accent/mirror the trim above. Basically, be limited and purposeful on your assignment of white and lighter colors on a house. When you pick your "darker gray", just match the siding color and then go up 2-3 shades of the same color family. Can't wait to see what you do with the front approach and steps.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 7:17AM
Karen Emmons
My suggestion is cut a window in the gable end. Inside the porch area install a hanging light to be seen through the window.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 7:54AM
debbiecz
A darker grey is needed...but be careful of just going darker per a "paint chip strip" as recommended above. Some paint companies don't necessarily adjust colors in stages. Check the blog, Colour Me Happy. She's a designer in Canada and has great advice on her site. Before painting do this...with two or three colors paint a large sample. I use half a poster board size. Then paint the color on the rest of the house. Place your samples next to each other one t a time. This means you won't have to keep reprinting all those splotches on your house to test them out. Idea 2 would be to build a fake door in the gable, like an old barn door hatch...just paint it the other color. The gable is a large space, it needs to be broken up.
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 8:09AM
Jayme H.
Still feeling a shade a grey lighter than the siding/but not as light as the blue tone up there now. Recommend looking at the Houzz site for exteriors to get a better idea for color from pics/before mixing up any paint. I look at lots of pics to find what I am looking for before investing in time and money...Best of Luck!
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 8:21AM
olldcan
I think you need to show off your shakes on the gable. Justice is not being done to them, I really like the cedar colour with the grey like in the first pic. Another thing that seems to be laking is the decorative element on the gable. Adding this will certainly break it up and add interest. Hope this helps.

[houzz=Inner City Craftsman]
[houzz=Seattle, WA: Lisa Hebner]Front Exterior://www.houzz.com/photos/441399/town-hall-parade-traditional-exterior-minneapolis
0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 10:14AM
olldcan
I'll try this pic again as it wouldn't load the first time.

0 Likes   December 27, 2012 at 10:17AM
Need a decorative accent for beam style gable ends of house.
Need a decorative accent for beam style gable ends...
Christel McCarty
Can you tell me the name of the end gable lap siding and how to find?
Hello, I like the gable end trim and appears to be...
byethebluebay
Style concept dilemma
Here's another good example of our interior design...
Vanguard development LA
I need some design for Open concept house
Start form main entrance going to living room to view...
stevencastro
repairing wood table
Our puppy got a little hungry while we were away. Does...
Dana Ratliff
How to neutralize yellow in granite?
We bought our home with this renovated kitchen (see...
tateek
How can I improve this kitchen nook?
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc