Pink 1950 bathroom

lindsayfgoodmanDecember 27, 2012
This is out pink 1950 bathroom. It's on the first floor. I have grown fond of the pink, but want to re-style it. Like this general color scheme. The last owners used a book to wallpaper the walls. We want to change the walls. Any suggestion of what paint, paper, or other material would look good where you see book pages? Other window treatments?
How about this silver wallpaper, with metal blinds? [houzz=
Deep Silver Mica Chips Textured Metallic Wallpaper · More Info
]
    Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 2:33PM
collettec
I think a medium gray paint wall color would work. A flocked gray wallpaper might be another consideration. If keeping the cabinet, I would paint that and perhaps a darker gray as well. For the window, perhaps black or gray wood blinds for privacy, remove the cornice and add a roman shade in a dark gray or black with a subtle pattern.
    Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 2:35PM
elklaker
I think that a black and white damask paper would be fabulous. Paint the vanity a gloss black for drama. Perhaps remove the blinds and replace with a crisp white Roman shade trimmed out with black grosgrain ribbon along the edges. Those are my very specific thoughts. Love the period look of the pink!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 3:00PM
Erin
I have worked with this color tile before - I used warm hued beige that was the same value (lightness) as the pink tile. The beige made the walls look less pink because when the warm hue reflected on the pink it neutralized the pink. Then I used dark navy and DARK burnt orange accents to draw the eye away from the pink - When the pink reflected on the navy and the burnt orange it muted the color and made the navy and burnt orange more muted in color. It really did look good - pink tile reflects pink on all of the other colors in the room, so when I choose colors that pink would neutralize, it made the whole room look less pink. Colors like brown and black emphasize the pink... which is ok if that's what you are going for :)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 3:23PM
claudiann
I like the black and white for a Paris chic look. Pink and chartreuse green is a classic combo also.could you remove the cabinet , put wooden legs from Home Depot store to support the counter and use big baskets for storage underneath? I've seen cute ones at target that have little chalkboards on them to label what is inside.i could envision rolled up towels in your chosen colors.
    Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 3:35PM
This inspired me when I saw your bathroom. I might suggest SW Terra Brown if you paint the sink base. Here's a beautiful wallpaper too.
Cherry Blossom Orchard, Tree Art Nursery Print, Wonderland by Raceytay · More Info

Watercolor Peony Wallpaper · More Info
    Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 3:57PM
houssaon
I like wallpaper in the bathroom. Here are fun patterns:
Marblehead Residence · More Info
and
East Lake Shore Drive Residence · More Info
. A graphic pattern in gray would look good: . This is fab, too:
Bruce Avenue Residence Lower-Level Powder Room · More Info
.

I would take the valance off, or hang short curtains (to the sill) the width of the valance with the blinds.

Love the room and I'm glad you are not getting rid of the tile.

One last thing, I think the over head pierced light fixture is not the best one for make-up in the morning! Notice the light fixture in the Matha O'Hara room reflected in the mirror.
    Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 4:13PM
Harrut
Hi, I'd put mirrors all around the bath area to give a sense of space .
    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 12:56AM
Want to update 1950's bathroom
The hall bathroom has 1950s pink & white bubble...
jonoto
WHAT TO DO W? 1950s tile??
We have a bathroom that has old 2" square pink and...
luv_viv
need help with an exterior makeover of my VERY 1950's Rambler home with walkout!
we just purchased a 1950's brick rambler style home...
sarahreinbold
Need Help With 1950's Bathroom?
We live in a colonial build in 1936. This is our only...
ead74
Bathroom layout in 1950 house. Need HELP!!
My room is 8' X 6' right now the tub is on a back 6'...
Joanna McKinnerney
Hobbit Guest Bedroom
Old house. Upstair rooms' ceilings are roof lines....
frenchbutter
Old pantry
Needing better idea for pantry storage.
cmmaze
how to winterize an outside upstairs room
We want to incorporate part of our outside, upper deck...
mariatiazza
Our new house
What to do with this beast?? All suggestions welcome!...
vivdame
Wallpaper for Accent wall in Living/Dining Room
Will this wallpaper look good on the accent wall behind...
pracheeti