Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soosun2

Blah living/dining room! Solutions?!

Susan Davis
9 years ago
This dining room living combination needs a new look!
The house was built in 1978, so walls are finished in an orange peel and ceilings are standard 8 feet. There is 3 inch crown moulding on all ceilings. Trim is done in BM Cloud White.
Room dimensions are living room 11.6 x 18 and dining room is 11.6 x 11. 6. The picture shows view from the foyer looking north. The right side of the room is East facing and there is a 6 foot French door on the dining room wall and a set of 3 windows in a 5 Long x 8 wide space in the living room. The windows have wide wooden blinds and white wood trim.
The floors are cherry wood Pergo.
There is no fireplace in the room as we have a great room with fireplace tv etc.
The furniture stays as I have spent years collecting it and love all of it. But fabrics and color have no clue. The furniture I have in the dining room is a
China cabinet, oval dining table, 6 queen anne chairs, 2 side chairs with arms in Italian style.
Living room has pair of Bergere Chairs that will stay, Oriental style cocktail table, Baby Grand piano, 65 inches long.
I think I need sofa or love seat, end tables.
Carpet is gone.
I want this room to look 'NOW' instead of 'Then'
I would prefer a color palette of muted green, yellow, blue, white? I have used these colors in the family room and want to have a blended design not chopped up. My reasoning is that the bathrooms have pale yellow bathtubs that will not be replaced and I want to make the house look like they were part of the design and not fighting the design. So I am thinking yellow should be part of the scheme. Please help me modernize.

Comments (467)

• User
    8 years ago
    IMHO, I don't care for those little lampshade thingies. They are too fussy. So many great lights out their. Have you looked at Visual Comfort?
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The brass and parchment shade or the blown glass chandeliers? The cranberry globes shown are beautiful and pricey. Trying to decide on budget for them. haha

My Houzz: Dallas, TX: Aubrey and Kale Butcher · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-houzz-dallas-tx-aubrey-and-kale-butcher-transitional-dining-room-dallas-phvw-vp~7446285[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-houzz-dallas-tx-aubrey-and-kale-butcher-transitional-dining-room-dallas-phvw-vp~7446285)

I had seen this one a long time ago and it is Visual Comfort. Still love it. Not sure if I hould go more contemporar

Gathering opinions?

• User
    8 years ago
    The parchment shades. I like the blown glass pendant, is it large enough?
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

30 " wide and 28" high

Dining room is 11.6" x 11.6"

I like the amethyst and gold one. Definitely a one trick pony with those colors but you only live once. haha Brass curtain rods.

• Judie Tull
    8 years ago
    I haven't kept up on every comment over the months, but I will contribute to your opinion gathering re: light fixture for dining room.
    There are so many beautiful lighting choices. If the cranberry glass fixtures do not fit your budget you should feel free to make a different selection. I like the cranberry pendants, and I am sure they are beautiful, but I wouldn't choose them for your room.
    Your chairs are traditional. You are going for an updated, fresh, look. My personal aesthetic is what I call "fresh traditional", and that is what I see for your home. (Although I love working with all kinds of styles). Updated does not equal contemporary, but it does steer you away from outdated, fussy, and/or predictable choices.
    I think the brass fixture you pictured is a beautiful and harmonious choice for your room. It has a lot of movement in the design, and is quite eyecatching. If you have really liked it for awhile I think you would continue to find enjoyment in this detail while you done, or just walk by the room.
    Personally I'm not a fan of the glass multi-arm fixtures.
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Great comments! I think I am at the point where I have always had generic inexpensive light fixtures in the dining room and want something that promotes the China Hutch beauty without covering it.....as shown it sits on the far wall and is immediately seen when you enter the house! And I have not really gone looking at 'real' light fixtures and that will add to the mix too. Thanks for your honest input! Am cosidering all the thoughts.

• User
    8 years ago
    OMG if you are willing to step it up, there are great light fixtures out there!
    I just replaced most of my light fixtures in my house over the past few years. It makes such a difference and it's something that makes me happy every day.
    This is where a design professional could really help you. Instead of everyone of us suggesting various retail sites, she could source one from one of her vendors at her cost for you and it would be something unique!
    I do love Visual Comfort, have purchased many products of theirs, a little on the pricey side, but this is going to add so much to your space.What is your budget roughly, $1k, 5,k?
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

For one light fixture I want to say under 800. And honestly if I can get the bling for the buck I want a lower buck. As I said earlier I am not doing this until February so in no hurry and I am pratical enough to know I have my limits. haha

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Na, I posted another Review this morning. I went to Post a Review for Find a Pro? I submitted it but not sure where it went. This shouldn't be that difficult should it? haha Still trying to get the review somewhere!

• PRO
    Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
    8 years ago

No posting a review should not be hard at all. I guess you are leaving out a step or something....not sure.

For the Tech Lighting pendant lights, I will see what my cost is and maybe you can just call my source and pay them direct whenever you are ready to deal with lighting. For Tech Lighting my professional discount should be good but, usually my orders are for multiple items all at once and not just one item. It might be best to lump in the purchase for the dining table with the lighting improvements for the family room? That is what is so hard about this field. You realize the most saving by placing orders for multiple items all at once but, people like to design and problem solve one tiny area at a time. So, you pay more when you take a "micro" approach on purchasing. I don't know how to advise you other than to shoot for grouping your purchases if possible especially if you have any LED light fixture improvements to make in the future? If not possible to group multiple purchases then don't worry about it and now I am curious to see my cost for Murano glass pendants.

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ha Ha Ha! You sound like me! Maybe this, maybe that, so you are still on line for the cranberry pendants and you weren't impressed with my options! Yes, no, honesty here!

About the pendants for the dining room, no hurry, I can order them on your schedule if you are allowed to tack them onto an order that you are putting in?

Remind me again where to go to post a review. They must be somewhere?!

• PRO
    8 years ago

Just go to my HOUZZ Siegler Design page and to the right of my picture it says "review me". You just click on that and post a review.

I do still like the Tech Lighting pendants....how more red or more cranberry in colour they are is hard to say but, I do think the look is contemporary and "unfussy" and very, very pretty. Doing a sequence of 3 fixtures in a row is a clever and simple way to introduce a more contemporary vibe too, which is what we had been moving you toward all along. All along we KNOW you could have a beautiful "traditional" look (you've done it in the past!) but, you like many others as well as myself are developing this new aesthetic for a "relaxed" but, nice and classy and inviting vibe. This means looking at furnishings and techniques that may have in the past been regarded as "contemporary" but, if blended in the right way with traditional elements, can produce a really pretty space that feels "classy" but, is very, very inviting and relaxing and UNSTUFFY and even fun and cheerful! Now that is an interesting and very timely design challenge! As a matter of fact I have another design project coming up that I think will be just like this in its focus on relaxed but, classy and inviting. I think many of us are looking for this and we are going forward into new territory and its compelling to see where we could end up! Correct me if I'm wrong?

Back to lighting over dining table though....I do like some of the other fixtures posted but, then again I like many, many looks and products. So, I default back to the 3 red pendants for the reason I stated above. However, I do know that light fixtures can very much be about "taste" and "taste" as we know is subjective to each and every individual. That is why I often give a client 2 or 3 options I like a lot and then I give them all the standards to shoot for and encourage them to shop and look. Standards would be light level, size, proportion, colour, ease of use, product reputation, company reliability etc...

I can look for another light over the dining table idea for you in the future if you like. Just let me know? I am starting a very busy 6 weeks now but, I thank you as always for your great questions and design project which has given me as much food for thought as you say it has given you. I look forward as always to developing next stage of wall paint colours in the spring. I think we are Sympatico!

all my best,

Na

p.s. I still really love that project "Irvington Residence". The designers were calling it "easy going elegance". Its wonderful, wonderful living space and you picked a great project to encapsulate what you were feeling. Words can sometimes be a trap and be limiting when it comes to visual design and so I've learned to take in deeply what people say but, also, look below the surface and try to feel what they are after aesthetically. This process combined with photos is what gets us all on the same page hopefully!

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I posted the Review as you explained and it said it will take about 24 hours to come up? I didn't post any pics at this time as there are no Afters to compare with the Befores!

I do love that Irvington Residence! I am so glad it popped up and can be a North Star so to speak. I love that the whole house is a great mix of styles.

Note the blown glass lamps. I can see one of those on my Foyer table no problem! haha

Easy-going Elegance for an Irvington Family · More Info

The study is great and has inspired me to do our office in something charcoal. I have a small bit of I believe a Shumacher fabric in a charcoal linen with a white bird pattern on it. Was thinking a valance over the 7 x 3 foot window or throw pillows on the sofa sleeper or a chair cushion on the offiice chair......lots of ideas drifting in and out!

Where do they find all of those awesome table lamps!

• PRO
    8 years ago

Yes Irvington home is so nice! I just love it. Study is comforting in coloration. I think charcoal walls may help for focus on deskwork but, note the light coloured desk, floors and ceiling so all is not dark only walls and even bookcase is medium tone. Thanks for review! I think they notify me once that goes through and I am hoping for another "best of Houzz" for 2016! hooray!

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oh I am hoping you get Best in Houzz 2016!

I do see the lighter desk, probably some outrageous stone product, but simple cream works too, right? And the wood is rather a distressed antique finish that looks like they put it over the existing cabinets in the room. I was thinking the tall frosted glass door floor to ceiling cabinets sold by IKEA for an inexpensive vibe in the room.

When my hubs had heart surgery at the Cleveland Clinic we went to the Art Museum and bought a print to celebrate the surgery! So I have this lovely Renoir print of a young lady in a grey and ivory dress and I want to hang it in the office as Hubs made the final selection on the prints we were looking at!

Any idea where the pale blush lamps came from in the dining room? I would love something like that, one only, on my entry foyer table. Help! And not necessarily blush either but some hue that works with the house in entirety. Hint, I like those glass lamps! I have read the whole site for Irvington Residence question/answer to no answers. The designer has other projects so I will peruse them and see if any more of those lamps pop up with info. If I start saving my $$$ I can hope to order thru you? Contracts and everything? Interesting.

I have another post for my back hall bathroom that needs oomph. For economy I am keeping everything except a new look shower curtain and light fixture. It is titled Very small guest bathroom. I know you are busy, but in 7 or 8 weeks when your project is done you will have to check it out. I even think I double posted and cannot figure how I did that!

Thanks, Na, you are indeed Sympatico!

• PRO
    8 years ago

I think Uttermost has a lot of glass lamps and so does Curry & Company, two companies who I like a lot for interesting home furnishings so, check them out. Also, you can check out Ebay for a "pair of Murano glass lamps". They can be expensive but, now and then I've seen a "deal" and they are the real thing as far as Italian glass lamps and I am always intrigued by them and come very close to bidding a couple of times!

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wonderful! I will check it out completely!

Did the Review turn up? I will endeavor again if it hasn't gone thru?

I love Uttermost; when I sold furniture we used that company a whole lot and they have wonderful products I think. Very stylin'!

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Did the Review materialize?

Also stumbled onto this pic that showcases the three light pendant over the dining room table. And I think the dining room is pretty cool but actually do not like the light fixture chosen for the room, but really like the three light presentation. It is unique and I think will set my dining room apart.

Liseter Weatherstone · More Info

A walk thru living room with a baby grand piano! Look familiar? Actually we had a narrower arched opening between the foyer and the living room and got rid of the Spanish Look and opened it up to 6 feet wide!

So will there be a large mirror in the living room to reflect the windows across from it?

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Opinions needed please. I am still in the planning stages for my living room and dining room because I am away from home for the winter, but still thinking about what would be nice.

My question concerns a print I purchased 20 years ago that has sentimental attachment to me. I still love the print, it will work in my living room color wise, but not sure if it will be too much or if I should repurpose the ornate frame, or reframe in more contemporary style Tetc. or just let it go? Size framed is about 37 tall and 48 wide and will hang over the coral velvet traditional love seat.

Frame is ornate gilt and bronze with floral carving on corners with a velvet apricot liner inside the frame. Opinions?

Floor plan is shown above at April 3, 2015 @ 1:57 AM

These are the fabrics for the items in the living room.

Thanks!

• PRO
    8 years ago

Those interiors you posted are really interesting. So, colours or furniture or accessories may or may not be your taste but, the space planning, proportions and configuration of items with other items is very good! I love you found that room with a piano. Great example.

On the art, it is charming and easy to see why any mother and home creator would relate to it. I tend to like to "modernize" a mat and frame look if a room is getting modernized. I am doing that right now with some Asian art for a client. The frame is totally modern. I will try to do a little mock up for you to look at! That will be interesting. Glad I checked in today which I do now about once a week.

Na

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Na, I hope things have been going well on your projects! But nice to hear from you!

That was what I was hoping to hear; that the print is large enough to go over the love seat and since I have it and love it it would be wonderful to repurpose it in the room. Thanks!

Picture of both rooms........! a nice visual for space planning and balance.

• Carolina
    8 years ago
    Hi soosun,

Thought I'd drop in to see how your project is going. Still in the planning stages I see. Nice to see the floor plan I drew for you again. Still think that it will work very well. Will be such a cosy room. One day :-)

I've had a very busy summer and lots of problems with the computer, which are now hopefully resolved. But that's why I haven't been on Houzz for months. I've seen you in a couple of the dilemmas I visited. Lovely!
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Carolins, so good to hear from you and I did see you on the boards a bit ago! I am so happy that your problem was related to the computer, too, instead of something else; you can fix computers with a little time. I miss your engaging and thoughtful responses to the Design Dilemmas!

Of course I still have the floor plans! And after seeing the Liester Weatherstone pictures above and it is the same exact plan you drew up, I feel that yes, this is it! So nice to see it executed; love the matching cabinets as it takes the eye thru the room so nicely. Something to consider for my living room? I don't think they would fit? I just do not know? Interesting to think about? And the dining room has the three lights and a tall hutch behind the table just like my set up! This is so reinforcing to me.

I hope you will chime in whenever you feel so inclined. I still have a whole house to fluff and fill; thankfully all the structural work is done, but we do have a new window to install in the kitchen/great room and a backsplash to install too. Lots to look forward to!

Thanks for you interest as I love all your comments!

• Carolina
    8 years ago
    Oo... I do like those three lights above the dining table. So I guess the chandelier is definitely on its way out. I did try to save it, but you're right, lights like that are a great way to update the room. And that piano room is lovely. Exciting to see how it would look in the flesh.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

Oh that is a super photo that shows both rooms! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure art can work over sofa. Here is sketch of idea of SIMPLE more modern frame style with matt choices.

Having issues downloading visual but, will keep trying!

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Proposed dining room by Naomi of Siegler Design; looking forward to doing this.

• Karen P
    8 years ago
    Soosun - I have been off of Houzz for a few months and am now trying to catch up with some of my favorite dilemmas. You have to be one of the most patient people I have ever seen! I can't wait to see all of these beautiful ideas come to life.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

On the subject of modernizing traditional subject matter art....

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Traveling and actually helping daughter and son in law remodel a ranch style in Seattle WA. Having a great time actually able to discuss design ideas with daughter and it is fun!
    Been to Ethan Allen and checking out new fabrics as store is stones throw from daughters home!
    Realize we are not home in utah so no need to be concerned! Still ADORE, not shouting but for emphasis only, the plans and ideas discussed!
    Trying to order SW paint samples to do my own moldboard. Haha
    Hope you are having a lovely holiday season. Did the review ever show up?
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Should be mood board!
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Love the simple modern art suggestion thanks! Happy holidays!
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Is their a difference in sisal or woven sea grass and does anyone know if they clean well or difficult?
  • User
    8 years ago
    I love my Stark carpet sisal rug. It's virtually indestructible.. Just use a suction vacuum only, no beater bar. Merida also carry a lot of nice choices.
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Where did you find your rug? I ordered a fibre rug and it had this icky smell like sour water due to the latex backing. And advice on selecting one? But have heard they are difficult to clean spots. Eric off?
  • User
    8 years ago
    It's available through the trade. I don't think my Stark has rubber backing. Use a nice thick carpet pad. I would google to find who carries in your area. I have Merida in a bath. It has a backing plus I have a pad. Both are good, Stark is pricier, but good quality.
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Considering these broadloom pattern cut to a size that will allow flooring to show all around in long living room and square dining room?opinions? Living room is11.6 x 18' and dining room is 11.6 x 11.6'
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Living room opens to dining room thru 7' wide opening on 11.6 wall to dining room.
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Picture
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Inspiration room for family room?
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I keep typing the wrong word. Stumbled across the above picture of a Great Room that might inspire the Great Room that needs to be done at my house. Living room dining room first but still when you get inspired you have to keep that picture! Haha.
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The stripe chair above I just plain love! Reference for chair I need to reupholstered.
    Great Room interior Designer is Brian McCarthy-----love his work and glad I stumbled across it!
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thinking about a dark color in the dining room......

Green

Traditional Sage and Cranberry Dining Room · More Info

Purple

Menlo Park Ranch Addition/Remodel · More Info

Purple 2

Maureen Residence · More Info

Bittersweet

Dining Room, Macon, GA · More Info

Pumpkin

Dining Room · More Info

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like this dining room chandelier? Opinions?

Large Flemish Linear Pendant · More Info

Existing chandelier; looking for something simpler. Opinions?

• Judie Tull
    8 years ago

In design school we learned to start with concept development. I find that helpful with clients now. There are always going to be pieces that catch your eye-- and illicit that " oooooh I like that" response. That's why you look at your concept, and ascertain if the piece fits or not. You have stated from the beginning that you want a look that is "now, not then". So apply this question to your choices:. Do you think this fixture fits your concept? Is it "now"? It might be pretty, and catch your eye, but if you want to move in a certain design direction then you need to frame your decisions based on your concept. Having followed your posts somewhat over the past year I think there is a middle ground between the red pendants previously posted and this traditional looking fixture. You are looking for updated, fresh, not really modern, and not old style traditional.

Susan Davis thanked Judie Tull
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tricky! haha

1800s Farmhouse Remodel · More Info

And what I want the Chandelier to fulfill is not blocking the Hutch which is probably the only stand out piece in the whole house! haha

Good point on concept; I do like the light because it is wide open and has a contemporary feel. Plus I like that the shades are covered for a softer look in the room.

But you are spot on for the design style that is being sought after.

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Which curtains in living/dining room. Suggestions? Top pic shows existing sofa floral Bergere chairs end table and carpet.

The below curtains pics are all budget friendly. Opinions

Stripe from Target

Embroidered linen from Target

Threshold Fretwork Border Window Panel, Tan/Coral · More Info

Buffalo check available at Ballard Design in Taupe Buffalo check similar to pic

Project One · More Info

Floral embroidered natural linen

My own fabric that could have curtains made. Floor to ceiling panels in dining room and living room.

Living room and dining room Windows on right side.

Rose/brick velvet for sofa

Possible paint colors for foyer living and dining room.

Opinion greatly appreciated.

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Making design decisions is so back and forth! I posted some pics of possible curtains for living room dining room due to economic reasons. And I might still consider them but the samples I am buying are not giving me the look I think the room should have.

So I am back to plan A with the floral fabric for curtains in living room and dining room. And will reupholster the chairs in the stripe fabric and go from there. Sometimes you feel moments of panic.

Hopefully this week I want to make my paint boards with possible colors as shown in the post above and see how they actually look in the rooms with sun light and night light! Onward and upward! Thanks for listening.

• davisgirls8
    8 years ago

I love the gold stripe curtains!

Susan Davis thanked davisgirls8
  • Susan Davis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Davisgirls8. You are very helpful!

Which rug pattern for living room?

I am glad you like the bold stripe taupe curtains. I keep looking at them and think I should order them for the living/dining rooms.

Which carpet would be nice in living room. Have it cut and bound so it fits into 11.6 x 18 foot room with one foot showing wood floor all around the perimeter of room.....opinions please.

• Susan Davis
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Chapman lamps with naturally 'aged brass' finish found at an estate sale! These will be neat in my living room design scheme plans. Slowly but surely moving forward!