Bathroom & office nook layout help

sebagolizzyDecember 28, 2012
We are swapping the location of the bathroom and storage/study off of our bedroom to create a larger master bath and study area more accessible to the main living area. The bathroom should have ample floor space (roughly 10'x8') and office nook will be approx 7.5'x8'. Suggestions, especially for the bathroom are welcome.

Key facts. The beam in the attached photos cannot be moved. The ceiling is 6'8" at one end and 7'10" at the other end of the new bathroom space which might cause the bathroom to seem cave like at one end. We can add skylights and I have attached a photo of skylights in the kitchen. Note the ceiling depth - that can't be changed either. The house is being resided so windows can be relocated or added.

You might gain enough space for a tall linen cabinet by using a corner wall-hung sink. A wall hung cabinet between window and shower and even a second one between toilet and corner sink. Don't know your style of furnishings, but I prefer wall hung, even toilets, so you can really clean the bathroom floors and it seems more spacious, visually. Search the box above for linen cabinet under Products for more styles.
American Standard Minette 0451001 Wall Mount Corner Bathroom Sink · More Info

Elizabethan Classics ETCBBI English Turn Corner Basin Bath Sink in Bisque · More Info

Wall Mount Linen Cabinet · More Info

Saniflo Sanistar · More Info
    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 12:35PM
sebagolizzy
I like the idea of the walmount toilet. Thanks. Not sure we could do that with the sink because we do need counter space. I am most concerned about how to position a walk-in shower in the low corner of the bathroom and how to space skylights overhead. Do the skylights have to line up in some way with the shower or other fixtures?
    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 1:27PM
Are you working with the previously installed plumbing? Could your switch the toilet and shower? If you were designing from scratch, you might want the skylights aligned with the shower, but in your case I'd be happy if I could get a large one in the center of the space. If there is room for two, I'd want one of them to illumine the shower. Search the box above under Photos for open shower. You might see a way to make this work without installing a pre-fab shower.
    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 1:36PM
sebagolizzy
In the attachments I provided the last one is a sketch of how we might arrange the new space. The shower can't be on the right edge of the room due to the beam being too low. The bottom of the beam is about 6'1" and clearly too low to run through a shower. We are a tall family, but even for others a problem I'm sure. All of the plumbing can be redone, we think, so we are assuming we can layout the new space any way we prefer. We are planning on a custom built shower to fit the space, and a single sink vanity of about 5' - it's worked for us for 20 years and we know we don't need a double sink.
    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 4:59PM
Want to convert room to office.... help!
We recently purchased a house and have been getting...
nativetexan1976
Advice please in design of this children's desk nook
I live in a small town in the Canadian Arctic - no...
inooya
Layout for Office/Loft area
Hello! I am looking for layout ideas for our loft...
gymbugmj2k
Need help with kitchen layout
Please help. We are working with an architect and this...
rolam1
Tiny "dining nook" in 1950, 900 sf ranch home
You can see what my home looks like from the exterior...
Miranda Bouck
Decking material
We plan on building a deck and would like an opinion...
flopsycat1
Tiling 1200 sqft condo with 12x24 porcelain tile
Tiling 1200 sqft condo with 12x24 porcelain tile throughout...
Jay Street
Help!! Need advice finishing my dinning room!!
Hello everyone. I am currently trying to furnish my...
jenstotes
what colors to pick
this home will be brick stone and stucco on the sides...
Amber Hatley
Window treatments for the large window above my entry way
I have a large window above my main entry door (about...
Ryan Davis