New built

natashieaDecember 28, 2012
Bought a new home from a plan. Just having a hard time with our kitchen. We like cream or white cabinets but from picking colours for the counter top to the floor is very hard. We do have a breakfast bar in the kitchen and already bought these chairs that I fell in love with ( cream leather and the wood is a darker wood) we r working off those chairs I fell in love with. I would love someone's help. Our very exciting purchase has just been a little stressful as we get ready for our decor appt. we also didn't want hardwood in the kitchen and trying to stay on a budget
luv2naach
How about dark tile instead of hard wood?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 2:09PM
michigammemom
Here's an attractive kitchen with cream colored leather barstools. You will notice that the cabinets are a brighter white while the counter top is a creamy Corian called Clamshell.
Lafayette Residence · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 2:12PM
natashiea
I really like that idea of the dark tile but didn't want to go to too dark. The kitchen tile will connect with our mocha hardwood in the great room so didn't want everything to be to dark. I also like that picture of the kitchen u showed. Do u think a darker counter top will go with that set up?
    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 3:11PM
Ignore this floor, because you do not want hardwood (are you sure?), but what I like here is the island countertop is the same as the upholstery on the chairs. The cabs are white (in your case cream) and the other counters are dark. A very nice combo, I think.

Would you consider a black and cream floor?
Kitchen Splash · More Info

Emser Tile times square Unglazed Through Body Porcelain · More Info
    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 3:52PM
natashiea
We didn't want to go with hardwood just bc we r scared if "one" day the dishwasher breaks and we have water all over our hardwood and might have to redo the flooring. Not a fan of the black and white floor but I liked the other idea of the kitchen
    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 5:26PM
Custom Home Planning Center
I had that happen 10 years ago. It was a slow leak so the insurance company said it wasn't covered. These days I just slip a Mech metal drain pan with an outside drain line under the dishwasher and don't worry about it.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 6:32PM
natashiea
That's a good idea but I think we might just pick a tile. Every time we look at pictures of kitchens most do have hard wood so maybe that's what's so hard for us to " see" what the whole kitchen will look like (really what the whole house will look like) we r a young couple doing this all for the first time so it's hard. I will just keep looking at pictures and see what we like... Ect... Haven't seen any pictures that's our layout Or close to it so maybe that's also what's so hard to see this house all come together in our heads
    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 5:37AM
lindabuzz
I'm new too houzz and I don't know how to attach a photo for you, but I found a picture of a kitchen that would be greAt with those chairs. I know you said you like light cabinets and no harwood floors, but you might want to consider other ideas. The photo shows espresso colored cabinets, light creamy white granite with flecks of dk brown, and medium brown floors with white barstools. Accents are stainless steel. The contrast is beautiful. Go to Maxine schnitzel photography in houzz and the photo will appear. Let me know what you think.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 6:24AM
natashiea
I'm new as well but will try to find that picture. I'm interested to see now
    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 6:49AM
natashiea
Kitchens · More Info

Is this the one??
    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 6:53AM
susiesusie
Whether this is the real thing or a copy of the Brewster Bar Stool, it's a great chair and you can't beat the price. Mine have a metal rail on the footrest to save wear and tear.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 6:59AM
Dar Eckert
I'm thinking a gray slate. Here's some photos
Kitchen + Dining + Staircase · More Info

Mudroom · More Info

kitchen and baths · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 7:17AM
natashiea
They r counter hight chairs bc that's what will work with our breakfast bar. We got 2 for Xmas so we r excited. I used the picture I took at the store bc now they r all wrapped up so we don't scratch them on our move. Love the ideas everyone!!!! So helpful
    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 7:21AM
natashiea
Fray slate looks good!!!! Give me an idea!!! Thanks
    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 7:27AM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Chairs are expendable/replaceable. You would be ill advised to base your choice of large ticket items, such as cabinetry, countertop and flooring (which are no easily replaced) off of a chair.
3 Likes    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 7:34AM
natashiea
Well thanks for saying what you think and that true to a certain extent but we already have an idea of what we like ( colour wise... Lighter cabinets....ect) but just putting them all together in my head is hard so that's why I like looking at pictures, getting some advice from people... Ect... We have seen pictures with these chairs ( lighter and darker kitchen ideas) and think those chairs will look good with both. Just wanted some ideas that's all. If someone was moving into a new home and taking there old furniture with them it's almost the same. They r using the old furniture to find colours, styles that will work in there new home with the old furniture .... Ect... We love the chairs ( something me and my boyfriend both likes) so we r working around the chairs .... Say it's an ill decision but to us it's what works.
    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 9:00AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Cream colored cabinets, would look lovely with your chairs, and look at Typhoon Bordeaux granite which would pick up the cream tones as well and also have some dark tones to tie into the wood. For the tile floor, look at something like Florida Tile Renaissance Creama which is a good budget tile. Not too dark but would pull the colors together.

http://www.ohmintl.com/live-inventory/all-locations/typhoon-bordeaux

http://www.floridatile.com/products/renaissance
1 Like    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 9:12AM
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Please don't misconstrue, I like the chairs that you have selected too.
    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 9:16AM
Lkristine
I love your chairs!!!! Here is a link that might have some good flooring options for you. Many shades to choose from, I think it may be the best of both worlds for your kitchen floor. http://www.southcypress.com/Design-Gallery/Wood-Tile-Idea-Gallery?gclid=CLqTroGPwLQCFYKPPAodPTYASQ
1 Like    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 9:24AM
lindabuzz
I just got inspired by something else.... Look at the picture you submitted with your chairs. What would you think about doing kitchen cabinets similar to the color of the hardwood floor that they are sitting on? I think it would give you the brightness you are looking for, but it would provide more visual interest than doing white cabinets with white chairs. I'm just afraid that everything light will make your kitchen feel sterile. If you are set on white cabinets maybe you could do the island in espresso so that the chairs would contrast it. Some thoughts????
1 Like    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 9:33AM
Cancork Floor Inc.
As a flooring expert - cork being my main source of interest - you can go with a cork glue down floor. At Cancork/Icork we also carry floating STONE flooring. Yes, that's right. Stone. Click it together and walk away. In a kitchen, you may wish to go with the glue down stone cork (1/16" stone attached to 1/16" cork backing). You would glue this in place - no mortar, no stress. A cork glue down floor will also do the same thing - but will give a different appearance.

Cork glue down is water proof - so long as your subfloor is water proof (cement backer board, etc). Feel free to visit our website (www.icorkfloor.com = USA; www.corkfloorsales.com = Canada) for more information on cork as an option.

The stone flooring will be in by mid-January. We have plenty of samples to help with your decision.
    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 9:46AM
natashiea
I like the idea u gave with using the colour of the wood that is from the chairs. Seems like that way we can tie it all in. What colour would you think for the counter top and floor?? ( if we go with the dark cabinets like the chairs) ??
    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 10:20AM
lindabuzz
Just to clarify. ..did you like the idea to do your light cabinets and a dark island? i gave a few different suggestions so i wasnt sure. I would go with a light granite counter (white and cream with dark flecks). Then I would do a medium wood floor with dark grain or maybe try the slate floor that another person suggested. I think all of those choices would work with both white and dark woods. What do you think?
    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 4:23PM
natashiea
I like the idea of the island being a different colour but not sure if it will look good in our kitchen bc it's not really in the middle. Here is a picture
    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 4:47PM
What do I do with my outdated built-in entertainment center?
Hi everyone! I have just bought my first home, a beautiful...
bluuemango
Need ideas for this new built in entertainment center
We are moving into a new home. This is what the new...
jhoannac
What to do with this space?
New built in, new carpeting, new paint. Current lamp...
Bridget Hegman
Our new built-in Entertainment center.
Before and after pictures of our family room with the...
mkrishnan
Help decide paint color of the new built in window seat.
Should the window seat be the yellow color of the walls...
mbdormer
Laundry Room Off Of Kitchen - Ideas Needed!
Hello everyone! My husband and I have been working...
Ashley Melnick
Coved ceiling advice
I hope someone can give me ideas and advice. We have...
aspencox
Need Help picking out backsplash tile for my new kitchen
I have new brown cabinets and White Springs granite...
kathleen_minor
Onda Counter Stool
I love these Onda Stools from DWR, however I am unable...
jssherr
faux wood beams and crown moulding together - yes or no?
Is it wrong to mix the two - rustic and formal?
walk3033