Icestone kitchen counters?
aliceacc
December 29, 2012
We're starting to think of a kitchen remodel, and I've just come across icestone. Can you tell me anything about it? Price? Durability? Any pros or cons?
Thanks for your help!
Alice
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Noz As A Service
Hi Alice, I've not used Icestone personally, but what I've heard about it is that it's somewhat affordable (but you'd probably need to have it sealed -- it's a little more porous than other manmade countertop materials), and reasonably durable -- but again without sealing it, you could stain it potentially. The major pro is that it's very sustainable and lots of LEED-certified public buildings have used it.

Have you seen samples of Icestone vs. the other materials you're considering for your remodel? You could probably get a small sample, and do a bit of testing (spilling wine, leaving a cold glass of water on it, etc). Good luck with the kitchen remodel!!!
    Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 6:53PM
aliceacc
One of my friends lost her home in Hurricane Sandy. She's replacing the old granite countertops with icestone in pure white; it sounds gorgeous!

I'm pretty sure we'll end up with laminate, since we've decided we want to extend the kitchen 6 or 8 feet into the yard and it would save us some money. I've seen some Formica and Wilson stuff that's gorgeous!
    Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 1:41PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I would use one of the other quartz tops until the get the staining problem solved. Constant sealing is a pain you might as well use white marble. It takes the same amount of maintenance.
    Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 1:49PM
aliceacc
Thanks, I'll pass the info on to her.
    Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Front door
For comfort, energy reasons, and curb appeal we need...
kelly61413
What wall color for my kitchen?
I want to keep the oak cabinets. I think it goes well...
Anna
Ceiling fans
We are looking at the Minka Aire Aviation fan vs something...
flopsycat1
My painted cabinets clash with my cedar walls.
I painted my cabinets Stone White by Benjamin Moore...
Livie & Luca
Please help!
I really need help with my entrance, sunken living...
sarahdallan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™