thoughts on this ottoman as a coffee table (if reupholstered in a blue fabric)?
Theresa Pondok
too many legs in the room?
Peggy Berk - Area Aesthetics Interior Design
Theresa, the room is feel off-balance to me...and I'm afraid that in the current layout a big square ottoman in the center would only accentuate the problem... have you tried other layouts in this room... perhaps with the sofa facing the fireplace and the wing chairs on either side....
2 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:25AM
littlemsclimber
Actually, I think it would be okay leg wise but the blue would have to be solid because it would be too much pattern if it was a patterned ottoman, also I can't quite tell but I do think the chairs have blue in them make sure to match that blue. However if there is no blue in the chairs it would probably still work. One last thought, don't worry about the legs they will ground the space well.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:28AM
Theresa Pondok
thank you- peggy, cant do the couch facing fireplace. the entryway to the house is right there and with the back of the couch facing the entryway it looks very cold. we tried it. tough room...
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:34AM
Ramona
I really like the ottoman. I don't think it will be too busy with your chairs, but I can't see the fabric on them at all well. Perhaps get extra fabric from the ottoman and have a few pillows made to tie everything together. I don't think the room is unbalanced but do think it would look better with the sofa facing the fireplace. The legs are fine, just add softness with pillows, etc.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:34AM
Jubi Arriola_Headley
I like Peggy's suggestion RE: re-orienting the furniture layout - I think then the ottoman would work much better in the space as a coffee table. However - I suspect the large armoire in the corner houses your TV, hence the current furniture layout - if so, Peggy's layout idea could still work for you if you angle that cabinet in the corner, rather than have it flat against the wall.

Also, I wonder why you've focused on blue for the ottoman upholstery. My eyesight isn't perfect but I don't see any other significant blue elements in the room - maybe you could consider other fabric colors?

Oh, and the legs don't worry me at all. :-) Go for it.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:38AM
Theresa, I can't tell the size of the room but if the length from the door to the fireplace will allow it, you can turn the sofa and put a long narrow console table behind it (sometimes called a sofa table), that should be the height of the back of the sofa or very close - you MUST accessorize the table in that instance.... a pair of lamps (if you have electrical available) or candelabras on either end, and perhaps a big sprawling floral arrangement (or interest compote) in the center....it will give you a better sense of entryway and also clearly set up a "traffic lane" to other areas of the home that doesn't feel as if everyone is walking through the living room....
1 Like   December 29, 2012 at 11:41AM
(sorry I accidentally hit return there).... With the sofa turned, you could definitely use the large ottoman, centering it on the fireplace. I think you can use a small scale pattern (I only see 1 pattern in the room) that incorporates both eh sofa color and the blue form the chairs
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:43AM
(sorry for all the typos... my brain is flu-addled ;)
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:44AM
I would take Jubi's suggestion an angle that armoire with either layout...
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:50AM
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the ottoman make sure you pick a durable fabric.
0 Likes   December 29, 2012 at 11:56AM
Christi Maurer_Hoehn
My only hesitation with that ottoman is the height of the two wing chairs. You will lose the ability to bring height in if the ottoman is used as a coffee table and throw it off balance further. If the two wing chairs weren't grouped as closely with the ottoman (by perhaps grounding them with a narrow high table between and maybe a lamp/accessories) then the ottoman would work with the sofa if you also add the same blue hue in plump pillows maybe with fringe or similar. I like the idea of finding a sofa table to be able to add height to the back of the sofa. If the armoire isn't used for viewing tv, you may consider switching the positions of the sofa with the chairs in order to provide less of a barrier feeling when you walk into the room. You could also move the chairs to the window with a table between, creating a separate seating area and then the sofa facing the fireplace, sofa table accessorized with a nice lamp, storage baskets, etc behind the sofa, and the ottoman in front of the fireplace.
0 Likes   December 30, 2012 at 11:37PM
Help me decorate my Rec room
We just moved and this is the room I want to tackle...
Need Help With Mom's Kitchen to Sell Her House
We need to sell Mom's house. We have a limited amount...
Ideas for new house!
Just moved into a new house and want to make it a bit...
Need help for my Den?
We are planning to install hardwood, built-in desk...
Empty wall
Looking for a creative way to fill this wall space....