rani16
I need some ideas for our living room furniture placement. I was thinking a sectional with two arm chairs, with a niche for the TV in the garage wall (next to the laundry room) . The dining room across the kitchen will have a rectangular dining table that seats up 10. Ideas for both the living room and great (dining) room are welcome as we are starting a family soon, about to move in and have to buy furniture. Also we extra seating is key as we have lots of family/friends nearby. thanks!
FOCAL POINT STYLING
I Rani16 - Nice to meet you.
If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're thinking of the dining space (for 10) across from the kitchen (which is the Great Room) and the TV mounted on the interior of the wall of the garage and this would be your Living Room??

I would consider flipping the two spaces:
Utilize the "Dining/Living" space as the dining space - one long table (centered between the two windows), with chairs (or chairs & a bench) with two high back end chairs at either end. A buffet would work well on the interior garage wall, with lamps & wall art. It would create a space for seasonal vignettes, food service and storage. Thrift for a Mid-Century styled buffet (on legs) so it floats, or also check Crate & Barrel, West Elm or ZGallerie (sorry - I don't know your style or budget, but these stores have a variety of styles to mix well with Traditional & Modern to create a Contemporary look).

The TV, sectional, and conversational seating would work for your Great Room area - TV mounted on wall across from kitchen - unless you did a wall-to-wall built in along this wall (either custom or also try Ikea). While you're in the kitchen making popcorn for a movie - you woldn't miss a thing =) And you still have two "eating" areas within these adjacent spaces: your kitchen "Dinette" area (pub table or do a built-in banquet along the far right wall. Under the banquette could be more storage. And I believe you also have a bar-top counter from the kitchen to the Great-room. You also have a possible means of a third adjacent eating are you could create outside. For extra seating in the great room : consider double-duty ottomans and benches.

The kitchen may be the heart of the home - but the TV area runs a close second. Adjoining the two will create synergy in your home. Hope this helped!
March 10, 2011 at 8:51pm   
lionsgate
Advice for additional seating that doesn't take up a lot of room and can be used as storeage... Ottomans :o) We just purchsed 3 long rectangular ottomans for our great room. We have placed them all in a row against a window wall. The windows are lower than the ottomans, but it was a way to utilize a wall that otherwise was not being utilized. Toys and books are kept in them and it is ALOT of seating and doesn't take up much room at all. Good luck!
March 11, 2011 at 12:03pm   
Natalia Osipova (design studio TABITI)
March 11, 2011 at 12:14pm   
rani16
Thanks everyone. Nyclq: I love your idea! never would have thought of that so thanks!! I realized on the plan we signed the dimensions have changed slightly. The great room is now 11'4" x 16'6" and the living/dining room now 14'1" by 17'4". The plan of having the TV & Sectional in the great room should still work with the new dimensions. I'm a little disappointed but it'll have to do.
Thoughts?
March 11, 2011 at 4:11pm   
InteriorsbyDesign
Hello,
Considering the changes in the room dimensions, you have to consider furniture placement carefully. Do not buy until you have a definitive floor plan. I have seen countless of rooms where furniture was so out of scale- too crowded, too large, or too small.
I would suggest working with a designer. Most furniture stores have complimentary design services, providing you purchase from them. There are no additional charges for this free service.
I would not flip the rooms, as the dining room would be too far from the kitchen, and would be very awkward to walk around the furniture in the great room to get to the kitchen. Besides, since this room is now smaller, a sectional would
overpower the room.
That said, I would place the sectional in the Liv. rm. along the window wall, with the shorter "L" shape along the powder room wall. You probably won't have room for 2 chairs, but can place one chair on the opposite end near the fireplace, with an end table between chair and sectional. T.V. on the opposite wall in a niche, or hung in the wall with a console under it, would work well.
Another option would be a sofa along the window wall, with a chair on either end of sofa flanked by end tables. A cocktail table in front of sofa. Same t.v. arrangement. Remember, you need a clear path from entry in foyer to the new dining room(old Great Room).
In the dining room off the kithen, center the table in the room. Add a chandelier over table if there is not one there presently. A buffet with mirror on the long wall would complete the room.
I would definitely choose the larger room as your living room area. Makes more sense to me, if you want more seating.
I think you would benefit from a professional opinion from a designer affiliated with a local furniture store.
Good luck to you.
March 13, 2011 at 7:03am   
atticaNord
hi, just take a look here, we hope to like our ideas for your space..... not that xtreme and great for parties ;) ....... ok, u must sacrifice the existing fireplace for a new bio-ethanol , anyway just think of it.
For more photos click here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=33708&id=100001395090374&l=4607931621
or email us to send u the full size renders.
March 14, 2011 at 3:38pm   
My house is too dark
We bought a beautiful Victorian in the country we're...
Single or Double Handel Faucet?
I have a small bathroom vanity area...36 inches. I...
What color should I paint garage doors and trimmings?
Buying this rehab....knew the old fella who built it...
Asbestos Tile? What did you do with yours?
There is asbestos tile in two rooms of our home over...
Walk-in shower glass partition
I'm having the hardest time finding a ready made frameless...