Sectional of Not
amcox_us
I would like to make the family room relaxed. I don't want to over power the room with sectional, not make it too formal. Suggestions?
A sectional could feel relaxed and informal, while providing maximum seating capacity.

December 30, 2012 at 8:59am     
You certainly have the space for a sectional. I would prefer an L shaped one to which I would add a couple of comfortable chairs, possibly good looking recliners such as the Pavia leather one from Macy's.
December 30, 2012 at 9:05am     
amcox_us
Thanks! I'm thinking about paint the wall with the windows: a taupe or soft gray color. I don't want the plain color throughout the home. Also, I don't want dark furniture. Any color suggestions for the furniture and accent wall?
December 30, 2012 at 10:22am   
amcox_us
I forgot to add that there will be dark hardwood floors throughout the first floor.
December 30, 2012 at 10:24am   
In order to make things look more casual, I would avoid very traditional oriental rugs. There are lovely ikat rugs that read as casual, plus Tibetan rugs, tribal rugs, abstract patterned rugs, and shag rugs.
You could choose a heavy weave such as the rug below from Restoration Hardware. I also like the abstract pattern in taupe.

A leather sectional would be a nice choice, perhaps in an interesting color such as is shown below. I love the large rustic coffee table below for its color and casual flair. Then I'd add the two chairs or recliners that I mentioned earlier, with a table between them.

On the large wall opposite the windows, I'd place a large bookcase for storage and display.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Sophisticated Italian Top Grain Leather Sectional Sofa Raft Table Chunky Braided Wool Rug
Momeni Satara SR-01 Area Rug - Taupe Jesse Open Range Modular Bookcase System
December 30, 2012 at 2:09pm   
tennisanyone
Will you be watching tv in this room?
December 30, 2012 at 2:18pm   
I think a modern L shaped sectional in a solid, textured light colored fabric (to contrast with your planned dark wood floors) would be beautiful in that room, with some easy chairs added on the third side as Carolyn has suggested. I resisted sectionals for years because I was so turned off by the big, puffy, oversized ones I had seen. But we found a very streamlined, simple L shaped one for our TV room and are now totally devoted to it.

December 30, 2012 at 2:25pm     
kim938
I have the exact same color living room. Mine is small. I just purchased a dark chocolate brown sectional, tan recliner and a big chunky red ottoman. I think you should go with a large sectional and a big chunky ottoman too with a pretty area rug under the ottoman and a couple chairs and a Bombay chest with a round mirror over it. Add a couple trees or large plants in the corner and maybe one behind the sectional. Add a large flat screen tv and a tall easel with a 16 x 20 picture on it. Maybe a pretty floor lamp. Just a few ideas for you.
December 30, 2012 at 2:27pm     
Michelle Mink
Is the furniture in the picture your existing furniture? I'm going to assume that it is, but, if not, you can still use these ideas if they appeal to you.

Are your sofas in good structural condition? If yes, consider keeping them and getting custom-made sofa covers in a denim blue or purchase new furniture in denim blue. Denim blue goes well with what appears on my monitor to be brick red on your walls. This would help bring in that casual feeling you mentioned.

Consider replacing all, or some, of your ornate iron and glass tables with wooden ones. Although the wooden ones should coordinate, don't buy a matching set. Both the ornate character as well as the matching element are contributing to the formal feeling.

The art on the fireplace as well as the rustic bottles may be a direction you want to go in. Consider replacing iron candlesticks, crystal decor and faux plants with wooden boxes, rustic or farmhouse-style artifacts. Don't go "full-on-country" with it - just a few items that feel warm and friendly and maybe not so formal.

]
December 30, 2012 at 2:43pm   
amcox_us
There will be a flat screen TV above the fireplace. I'm debating on having raised hearth or not. I think it could be too bulky. Yes! It seems the sectional and a couple of chairs, along with an ottoman will be accompanying them both.
I don't want the room to be too dark with dark furniture, dark hardwood floors and dark accent wall.
December 30, 2012 at 5:54pm   
amcox_us
I don't want the room to be too dark with dark furniture, dark hardwood floors and dark accent wall (charcoal or slightly lighter, taupe or something along those lines). Definitely, a nice rug.

I will try to make sure that the entire first floor all ties together, not the same colors, but same/similar color family. I like soft colors. I have a dining room, formal living room, kitchen and bedroom.

Ugh! I will love it, though.
December 30, 2012 at 6:01pm   
You're going to have a lot of rug covering that dark hardwood flooring. Plus light colored furniture. And it's up to you what that accent wall color will be. You could, in fact, paint it the same as the other walls, or just a shade darker.
December 30, 2012 at 6:02pm     
amcox_us
Yes, there will be rugs in every room. A shade or two darker than the other walls will be a great idea.
December 30, 2012 at 6:11pm   
Make something out of nothing
We're purchasing a gone from a builder that won't allow...
Which shades make you pale?
The colour of spaces you inhabit can make or break...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
What can I do with this wall???
Ceiling is very high...that was the largest clock,...