Need help picking paint color!

rollinatDecember 30, 2012
I am struggling to pick a paint color for our open concept living / dining / kitchen plus going downstairs into large family room. We want a green and our painter uses Sherwin Williams paint. The family room is a garden level basement - darker than upstairs but not very dark. We picked Softened Green from SW but it's more gray than we would like; today I picked up more paint chips from Home Depot and we like Spring Cactus from Glidden.

I've attached a few photos - they're not very good but all I have, taken when we had to evacuate because of a wildfire!

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6709-gleeful/ - think this might be similar to Spring Cactus

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6177-softened-green/

We need to pick soon so any advice would be gratefully received!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lousyl
I like the softened green color you posted! Warm and still light. I think you will be happy with this choice! The yellow is quite harsh and busy. Go for it!
1 Like    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 7:40PM
Nicholas Devone
I used that color in an extra bedroom and it was ok. Room faces East. The only thing is that if you want a more dramatic look maybe try a medium shade in a complex neutral shade. Go on B. Moore website and see colors used for different rooms & lighting.
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 7:49PM
Natalie
Hi---I would steer clear of a green with a yellow undertone as it will clash with your cabs and counters. Check SW 2860 Sage and SW 6164 Svelte Sage. I really like SW 6158 Sawdust and SW 6151 Quiver Tan for your space. The deep hues would just add a lot of depth and dimension. All Sherwin Williams---pick up the charts and see how they look with your cabs/counters/FP stone. Good Luck!
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 8:13PM
Peg Silverwood
Benjamin Moore Satchel color would be beautiful with the white trim your stone and the cabinetry. I know you are thinking green, I agree with Natalie. Good luck! ;D
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 8:28PM
Natalie
Here are pics of the colors I suggested. :)
[houzz=
Dining Room · More Info
]
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 8:40PM
athtex
Green is my favorite color, & is definitely reflected in my home- I agree w/ staying away from too much gray in your green. Also, a too-bright green may be trendy, but sticking to neutral greens would suit your style best. Look at SW 6419 Saguero, 6425 Relentless Olive, 6426 Basque Green, 6432 Garden Spot or 6433 Inverness. I have used all of these colors in different rooms & they are beautiful- Good Luck!
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 8:53PM
rollinat
Thank you all! We really want a complete change from the current wall color - was not our choice and we've lived with it for too long! So we do want to stay away from brown / beige / tan shades, and also don't want it to be too dark in the basement. I will look properly at the colors you have all suggested tomorrow - thank you again.
    Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 9:44PM
rollinat
I think we have almost made a decision :) Going to try liveable green which is a shade lighter than softened green, and either use that throughout or just in the basement; plus going to try Rice Paddy to appease my OH who wants more green than gray (though is coming round to my way of thinking!). Will let you know how it turns out.
    Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 6:58PM