Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brillante_design

BEAMS: to paint or not to paint?

Brillante
9 years ago

i have never been happy with the colour we painted our home (BM sea haze; grey owl; asphalt). i feel like it dates the home to the 90's with the yellow maple doors, trim and floors.

we cannot afford a re-do, so i am wondering if painting JUST the decorative beams/columns in BLACK (or a very dark grey) would be something that would help modernize it?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Brillante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

not to paint.

Brillante thanked flair lighting
  • User
    9 years ago

Don't paint the beams. It really looks beautiful as is, EXCEPT for the wood base molding and window trim. A bright white would brighten things up. It would also buffer the gray to wood floor transition, which right now is causing the trim and flooring to pop orange against the blue-gray of the paint. See Houzz photos under "gray with wood floors" to see the difference it would make.

Brillante thanked User
  • PRO
    Brillante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i totally agree sooz001. that sounds like a big job, however. it's a 2600 sq ft. bungalow and we have a lot of windows = mega $$!

• PRO
    Brillante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@dreambee - thank you. i love your style (had a peak at your idea books).. i think that's where i was coming from - even if i paint part of the columns to get a sense for it, it's just paint. and there is no edging, so i can't screw it up, you know? might try to photoshop this to get a concept.

• acm
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There are just so many of those beams. Would you do the verticals too? I think you'd feel like some dark archer had invaded your house... (For that matter, are all of these crazy things structurally necessary??)

Brillante thanked acm
  • PRO
    Brillante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

you're awesome @acm. yes, absolutely thinking the columns too. can you do that for those columns as well? genius.

• PRO
    Brillante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and no, not necessary. just decorative. yes, i feel it might be a bit harsh. but can you still try? i'll buy you coffee. lol

• acm
    9 years ago

sorry -- Houzz sort of uploaded several copies of one photo, rather than one each of two -- one of those should have painted columns. here's another.

Brillante thanked acm
  • acm
    9 years ago

Of course, they go on and on...

I think you might do better to invest in a mound of rolls of blue painters tape and just do all the oak trim in your house white yourself. not so $$

Brillante thanked acm
  • PRO
    Brillante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks so much for doing that @acm. probably too harsh.

thanks for your time (:

• User
    9 years ago

I think the colors look fabulous as is....I would not paint columns, and I don't think your room looks dated at all. Those maple floors are going to make a come-back if they haven't already...and you will be happy with them. The color on the walls compliment your floors very nicely.

Brillante thanked User
  • PRO
    Brillante
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well thank you karen, for your uplifting comments! it's more the green undertones of the walls juxtaposing the maple (which reads orange - especially at night with artificial light!) reminding me of my baba's old house. lol.