Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamhopscotch

Rug to pull living room together. Please help!

iamhopscotch
9 years ago

Hello friends!

I have been decorating my new house for a couple of months now. I have a brown leather couch and grey side chairs. I am at a loss for what kind of rug will suit the room. I was thinking a black and white rug (stripes, maybe) but would that be too dark for the room? Any suggestions please?

Comments (40)

• everdebz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi there. If you're hopscotch, then I'm double dutch, which I played growing up in the city... anyway I got a kick out of Paris and the boomerang - love! a rug for color? pattern? Have you considered something for coffee table? Under shelf 'decorated' with wicker etc. color from art. I know, that's only more little items.

iamhopscotch thanked everdebz
  • iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi there, haha your comment about double dutch had me cracking up :) Thanks for noticing the pictures and the boomerang! I feel the room looks somewhat drab without a rug underneath, plus there is no other pattern in the room. They are mostly solids. Also, I don't like the ugly carpeting that much, figured I could hide it with a rug. Do you think the room looks ok without a rug?

• everdebz
    9 years ago

Well it's always better to see more of the room. What's on the windows? The rattan {?] could be an upholstered chair in a color....

• iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the best shot of the windows, that I could get with all the light pouring in. Does this help? I have sheer white curtains with a white pattern- again pretty neutral and not much of a pattern.

• iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah it is rattan. I think I may need to replace it with an upholstered armchair. What color would you suggest will go here. I was building up on a coral and teal theme, with the throw pillows and a coral vase I found. Or I could even do a subtle grey patterned chair I guess. There I go into browns and greys again!

• iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really like your idea about the coffee table under shelf, decorated with wicker. I think I will do that. It will, at least for the time being tie the rattan chair and the coffee table together in some way I guess. Until I get a new chair.

• everdebz
    9 years ago

Hey - no more grey and brown. :) If you measure available space that'd help of course with purchasing.

2, or 4 identical and not puny, but fill it up...Would you like not necessarily wicker but deep coral boxes in solid [with white table which color?]

• iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, my table is white, I think coral will look really nice too. I do want to add color, but I didn't want too much color(is there such a thing :) ) , which is why I am not adding many colored accessories. Yet.

• iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When it comes to area rug, I don't really want to add a colored rug, cause I think I will want a different color in a few months, and so on :( . That is why I was wondering if black and white would work. Or do you feel, no rug is fine too? Doesn't the room look like it is lacking something, and all I can think of is Area rug.

• veejae
    9 years ago
    I think a tall lamp in the corner would give some interest and, of course lighting. Like your pictures but what about pulling them down closer to the sofa and perhaps adding something large and colorful? That would draw the eye up away from floor. Use a colorful throw. I like the previous idea of the coral trays.
    iamhopscotch thanked veejae
  • iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OOh love that chair. It is so me, with the grey :) ! Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I can always color it up with a throw or some pillows. The green-blue chair IS something! It looks so unique

• iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Veejae! Pulling down the pictures has been on my list! I think I will definitely do that. I like the idea about adding something colorful to the wall, I am going to be on the lookout. It will also expand my gallery wall a bit, which i think is a tad too small. So you guys don't think the room needs a rug? The other changes can complete the room, without a rug, do you think?

• everdebz
    9 years ago

Distracting that I'm with mominlaw and trying to talk... well here's the 100 dollar chair showing gold but comes in deep coral.

Topaz Lindsey Chair · More Info

• everdebz
    9 years ago

btw I did notice that you took off the grey throw for your post - and yes more color elsewhere and you don't need a rug, imo.

• housegal200
    9 years ago

A little late to the no-rug party, but here are some from Shades of Light rugs that complement your gray and brown colors.

iamhopscotch thanked housegal200
  • everdebz
    9 years ago

It's true that would add a foundation and nice esp. 1 [and with possibly large but solid chair I posted adding to fun vibe]... to experiment you could place a towel or blanket or coat over a chair to see what color would do there.

• iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah! I did take out the throw, I'm surprised you noticed :). That coral chair is WOW. I love the tufting and the price is so great. That is going on my list. The size if perfect for my room, compared to the grey patterned chair. I appreciate all your suggestions! Thanks a lot. So now I need to do some shopping. That's the best part!

• iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks shopgirl200. I am swooning over the grey and blue rug. Do you know where you found that ?

• Brenda Price
    9 years ago
    The wall arrangement is not working,seem out of proportion to the sofa. Think about moving it to the short wall on the side of the door. Something in a large print behind sofa would give u more color. Just a thought.
  • housegal200
    9 years ago

Did you mean me? I'm housegal200, not shopgirl200--not that there's anything wrong with that. Go to shadesoflight.com and plug in colors you're interested in. I tried to work with the colors you already have plus a little accent color.

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

Sounds like the rug selection process is working out, but I have to comment on the wall arrangement. It is hung to high and is too spread out. I'd rework it so the bottom row of items share the same even level which should fall 5" above the sofa back. Then the group should tighten up so that is no wider than 75% of the sofa's width.

iamhopscotch thanked decoenthusiaste
  • iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Housegal200 I meant you! Guess I was online shopping a lot while replying to you. ha ha.I will check out the website, thankyou!

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Try to find an antique Persian on Craigslist or e-bay. You won't need a very large one. I agree w/decoentusiaste on the art. & add some more to it. Have fun. Add color.

iamhopscotch thanked sandradclark
  • iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have one question. I am not really sure what my design style is. I like transitional decor, rustic decor and ecclectic decor, but not too modern. What style does my living room look like to you guys? :)

• everdebz
    9 years ago

hmm I don't see any outrageously shiny, or rough/rustic - seems transitional. Your white table isn't cottage necessarily. I had an inexpensive idea for colored sheers behind your white ones [though outdoor color shows... whatever you think]. I like rosy coral which lights up nicely. Back to the rug - you have 3 different kinds and white and tv unit - just seems a certain busyness I don't prefer, just me. It is a small room also. I want to show you something. :)

Gray White Teal Ostrich Pattern Trunks, Set of 3 · More Info

• iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I will hold off on the rug, for now. I understand what you say about the busyness, especially since it is a small room. The TV is a little too big for my liking, but my husband wanted it.

I will just concentrate on adding some color and unifying the pieces I have now, with the accent colors , based on everyone's suggestions. I need to expand and lower the gallery wall too!

Btw, love the trunks! <3 These have been on my wishlist forever!

• everdebz
    9 years ago

You're kidding -- What we have in good taste! While I'm thinking about it why the hopscotch? your child, or your childhood? :) I like that you can add one or more items to the bottom of your wall, is all......I'm 'heavy' on the comments I hope that's ok. Crate and barrel for only 6.00:

Sarinana Oval Basket with Coral Lid · More Info
    Sarinana Small Oval Basket with Coral Rim · More Info

• everdebz
    9 years ago

fun -

Basket Weave Pillow · More Info

• iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha ha, hopscotch is my way of holding on to my inner child! I really appreciate the suggestions that you are giving me, I don't think there is such a thing as heavy on comments!

And I can't believe crate and barrel has that coral lid basket for 6 bucks. It's wicker like AND it's coral. I have to check if my local store has that

• iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is how the room looks from the dining area. The main door is right next to the Brown ottoman(Sigh,apartment living). So even though there is some space behind the rattan chair, I had to push it further towards the coffee table because otherwise it would be right in the middle of the entryway. Just pretend you don't see anybody in this room.

• everdebz
    9 years ago

Yes apartment living - been there, done that. Actually I hadn't seen anyone - who is it? Well your secret is fine with me.... haha. Rug is largest in scale than about any other changes you might make - it does look bland from this angle [any thought on adding sheer behind?]. If you think the dining area is wow maybe you don't, and if all brown/grey maybe a rug....you're a good judge.

• iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I am going to consider all the suggestions.

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

What is behind the sofa - a rad?

• OldGrayMare
    9 years ago
    What you really need is an area rug to anchor the space. I'm hearing mixed messages tho about what colors you like. Coral, blues, greens, etc?? I'm thinking of you like to "flirt" with color (not a bead thing...I'm kinda the same way)....the best way for you is to do what I did...get an oriental rug with lots of colors in it. Your sofa and chairs are monochrome...so you could pick up accent colors from the rug according to your whims, or the seasons, etc. I have a brown leather sofa, two West Elm Sloan chairs (in their color called Pine Needle, wch is really a teal green/blue...almost turquoise).. The rug is mainly rust with areas of cream, tan, gray, and a blue that is al out Wedgwood blue....and it all looks really good together. The chairs, even tho they aren't the same color blue at all, bring out the little pops of blue in the rug...and I have on the sofa (currently) accent pillows in a pear green/gold, blue, brick and tan (all plain, no pattern).
    You have a good basic start with what you have...just need to add color.
    iamhopscotch thanked OldGrayMare
  • iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@decoenthusiaste. Oops no one was supposed to see that, that's the box the tv came in, lol !

@2tilletts thx for ur suggestions! The colors I plan to use are blue and coral , but in moderation. I don't really want it to be too color coordinated. I do like your idea about mixing it up with colors, that way I can keep changing the look whenever I want. In your room, do you have color in your other acessories like lamps, vases etc? And do you change them out once in a while?

• Brenda Price
    9 years ago
    Have u tried putting the sofa at an angle in the left corner where the tv is,then put tv where the sofa is now,put chairs across from each other and use ottoman as coffee table with a wood tray on it. I think this would square up and create a conversation area. I get the impression u get bored with things so suggest u put your money on colored pillows,candles ext. that can be replaced with out breaking the bank. Go for that black and white or neutral rug to anchor the space. Love to add my two cents because u don't get much for it these days lol
    iamhopscotch thanked Brenda Price
  • iamhopscotch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@brendaprice707 Thank you for chipping in! I have not considered that arrangement yet. But I did try putting the TV at an angle in the left corner, but that didn't work, cos it took up too much space and made the room look smaller. Yes I do get bored easily, ha ha. I'm glad you think a b&w rug works! I'm going to look at some more rugs which will enable me to change up the accessories without clashing. Thanks!

• everdebz
    9 years ago

May I add more - your first post about b and w rug - when I saw your sofa wall and that it's busy with chosen items, I thought there'd be too much busy/ competition with such contrasting pattern on floor. But if you had one large art/ one simple focus maybe a striking rug would be ok....I do like idea of a rug with lotsa colors to choose from.

• Brenda Price
    9 years ago
    Maybe a grey and white lattice print rug. Thinking it would add some print but still be a neutral color so u can change pillow colors etc. later.
    iamhopscotch thanked Brenda Price