Contemporary Lighting
sakcwild
I am getting ready to build a new home & am looking for contemporary lighting that isn't so darn pricey! Seems the stuff I find that I love start around $600 a fixture! Are there any online suppliers that sell quality contemporary lighting at reasonable prices with great service & return policy?

Thanks for suggestions!
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Are you planning on working with an interior designer to help you with any of your decor requirements? Many design professionals will pass along their discount, or a portion of it, if you are their client. This could be a win/win for you. Best of luck to you with your new home.
December 31, 2012 at 5:15am   
Brilliant! Lighting & Design
I second the idea of working with a professional, and as your specific question is about lighting it came to my attention. A lighting designer can be quite helpful in navigating the many options available to you, meeting your needs and keeping your budget in mind.
As to specific online resources for getting ideas and inspiration... have you checked in at:
Form + Function: http://www.formplusfunction.com
Lumens: http://www.lumens.com
yLighting: http://www.ylighting.com
Lightology: http://www.lightology.com
December 31, 2012 at 6:54am   
Chap De Laine's Interiors
Keep in mind, it's hard to get the great service and relationships online. Find a local showroom. They do have access to all price points. Just show them the stuff you're looking at online and let them do some research. You may have champagne taste and a beer budget and they can help you put the 2 together. You can get the better advice, as well, and they may have ideas you never thought of. Good Luck
December 31, 2012 at 9:44am   
sakcwild
Thank you all for the comments & the links Brilliant! Lighting & Design! I do plan to work with a lighting designer once construction begins. However, there are not a lot of showrooms in my area that carry contemporary pieces & thus I was looking for sites to draw ideas from. Again, thanks!
January 1, 2013 at 4:26am   
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
It's hard to find showrooms outside of the major urban centres that have contemporary fixtures on display. When you meet the lighting designer, they will no doubt have catalogues full of possibilities. The designer, after speaking to you, will be able to zero in on the manufacturers in your price range and the style that you'll like. It's a process that they will guide you through. So glad you are going about this the "right" way. It's just too hard to design lighting for someone online without having the house plans and the indepth discussions required.

I know the prices can be high, but when the house is finished, it's the lighting that will be elevating your house to a higher level, not only in the effect of the light generally, but also in the individual fixtures which will act as the jewellery of the rooms. When you pay a little more for fixtures, you're getting superb quality glass and metal finishes as well as better quality components like bulb sockets that won't age as quickly. You can economize on other items (I'm an interior decorator and I excell at balancing the luxury items with the basics) but the lighting should be, in my opinion, where you loosen up the pocketbook. You'll not regret it, ever, and your place will look wonderful and inviting for many years to come.
January 1, 2013 at 8:34am     
Pillar lights for entry to walkway is clean and contemporary.
Can you tell me the brand of those lights or how to...
Dark or light wood floors in contemporary home
I am building a contemporary house with open floor...
Too contemporary light fixture
I have a new chandelier. It is shiny chrome and crystal....
Eat in kitchen corner
I posted earlier about this . I keep trying to fix...
Panicking over vanity top selection
I picked a wood tile for the floors and a marble called...
Entry Way Help Needed
Trying to get new ideas for the entryway. The left...
Living room
Hi guys. I recently moved into a new place and I'm...
need help to pull colors together, make room look good
This is my one room kitchen. , living room, and dining,...