Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keywestdreamer

family room redo

keywestdreamer
9 years ago

Now that we're upgrading our kitchen, since it flows into the family room, I want to spruce that up a bit as well... furniture size/placement is my biggest challenge.. the room is a good size... 17x13... but with 2 pass throughs from the kitchen and one into the foyer, I dont have alot of wall space to put a big sofa. I want a sectional with a cuddler on the end by the fireplace, but dont' know if that would overpower the room. Or, I could go with a new slipcover (sofa is cream colored and I have boys, so i had it slipcovered) or just get a comfy chair and ottoman?? Can't hang the TV over the fireplace b/c of the tile surround.. it would be too high... the coffee table and ikea chair are heading for the dump, but I would like to hold on to the tv stand..

Any ideas for furniture size/placement? Any DIY ideas for the fireplace? We haven't used it in 20 years.. can you just tile over tile or would that have to be ripped out?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

well the tv should be opposite the window, or opposite the FP. but most likely across from the windows, with your chase sectional (if you must lol) have the L shape come off the left so you can flank the fP with two chairs. wall mount the TV but you dont have too. invest in a new larger rug, new sofa, and if you can get a second chair to match or blend with the other. oh and an new coffee table. you have good bones here.

• ljbwilk
    9 years ago

What is your aesthetic? Hard to say without knowing what kind of style you like. I actually think the room is ideally situated for a sectional against the windows (and agreed-- TV on wall across from it). I've been exploring options lately because I, too, have boys (mine are 2.5!). It's expensive to have a decent slipcover made. It's actually cheaper to buy a new one. If your boys are still young and if you expect this room to see some action, I'd vote for an Ikea Ektorp sectional.

Re: fireplace. I've seen on Pinterest that you can paint tile. Problem is that I don't know what color you would paint it... I think I'd be more inclined to hang a mantle above it if you don't want to rip out the tile. Yes. I definitely think that's the answer. Find mantle that fits your aesthetic and hang above. Get rid of (or paint?) those brass framey things inside the fireplace and voila! Cheap fireplace make-over.

• Michelle G
    9 years ago
    What about moving the tv stand and TV to a corner placement (fireplace and window wall)? You could do a sectional with one side of it on the wall opposite the windows and the other side facing what I think is the dining/kitchen. You could put a sofa table behind it. I think it's a nice big room and there's a lot of potential!
    I would try to find a spot for the TV where glare by the sun wouldn't be on the TV or in my eyes.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

no do not detract from your lovely fireplace, by over powering it with a huge tv in the corner. must stay on a wall. right now you stare into the glare of the windows while watching from this direction, (provided you daytime watch), either way i would get roller blinds to help with that.

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

Get one of the flex sectionals whose chaise portion can reverse from left to right. That will give you more flexibility in arranging and rearranging.

• Avery
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi, here's a couple examples of the bi-sectional sofas that decoenthusiate mentioned, both by Gus Modern.

Also instead of a sectional with chaise, you may also like the idea of a sofa with a separate, matching ottoman. This would give you a similar feel and still the flexibility of moving the ottoman wherever you'd like.

Gus Modern Jane Bi-Sectional Sofa, Totem Storm · More Info

Richmond Bi-Sectional, Cabana Hamp · More Info

• Avery
    9 years ago

By the way, I think figuring out the TV location is key prior to deciding on furniture or furniture placement, especially if TV watching is one of the primary uses of this space.

I like flair lighting's suggestion of placing the TV on the wall across from the window wall the best. The TV can also go on the small wall to the right or left of the fireplace too (not cornered). Mounting it on a swivel can also give you some TV viewing flexibility.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Don't go w/ a sectional w/o checking measurements. Put blue painters' tape on the floor to see if you truly can fit one in. Move the TV over to the left of the fireplace so the two focal points are next to each other & so you won't get a glare on it from the window. Try to hide the cords somewhat as well. The fireplace wall is okay as is. Move the plant over to where you move the TV from. Don't throw anything out until you decide what you will do furniture wise. The media credenza should actually be wider for the size of your TV. Do not paint before you get the new furnishings (if you do).

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago

Try floating the sofa so it is opposite the fireplace, you really could put the TV over the fireplace, really you can. The tile can be removed and replaced, or faux finished over it by a good tradesperson. You can slipcover in a light color as long as the fabric is washable. You could even make a spare cover so you always have one at the ready.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Angle the TV & stand toward the sofa. It will be okay there. I don't know why people are telling you not to put it there. Close the drapes if the light bothers your viewing. Try this for a few days to see how it works for you. Go out & look at small sectionals & take their measurements & come home to do the blue taping before you buy. Keep us in the loop.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

If there is a chance you will sell your house w/I the next five years do not remove the fireplace as it is a selling feature. If you will be there longer & are sure you want it out have a professional handle it.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

love the idea of matching ottoman instead.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago

try the tv opposite the windows b4 anything else.

• keywestdreamer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We can't move the TV location... the pass through opposite the TV is our kitchen, and we like to sit at the table and be able to watch the TV during dinner or watch the morning news while having coffee, etc. So, the TV has to stay where it is. I'm thinking of getting a comfy chair and ottoman instead of the IKEA chair, and new tables. Might try to sew a new slipcover and get a new rug. I think I'm stuck with the set up the way it is... any tips for figuring out what size coffee table I should get??

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County