Help with our Family room! Family of 8 with no direction!
Kim McKenna
We have lived int he same home for 20 years, raised 5 kids (12-24) and currently a 6 year old grandson, hence the bed in the family room. I purchased a 100 year old table for $100 15 years ago and although it is an amazing piece of furniture, there is hardly space for it. Still, I cant bare to part with it. We have money set aside to buy a new couch and I don't want to make a mistake in the remodeling of the room because it will be another 20 years before this opportunity arrises! We watch TV in this space, the kids have friends over, we sit by the fire while our grandson plays legos on the floor. The room is a weird rectangular shape and awkward to make a comfortable seating area conducive to our needs. It doesn't feel warm and inviting. Its mish mashed together furniture as well as decoratively. I desire a warm coastal feel....beachy. We are originally from the West Coast and being by the water offers us a feeling of serenity. I'd like the walls to be a sea foam blue, and need an alternative to the 1970's recessed lighting, I love photography, so a place for lots of pictures of the ones we love. PLEASE, I am creatively STUCK and with limited resources I need help!
Jayme H.
Paint is going to make a huge difference, make sure the tone works with the flooring by bringing samples home and comparing! ( or it can go wrong fast!)!! I can't see the room very well. More pics please. As far as lighting, I am not very great at that but do know if it's recessed and u want to put in new fixtures, it will require an electrician or someone with know-how to change it out. I have some old pieces I can't part with either and am planning to save them even if I don't use them now..(store).
December 31, 2012 at 11:08am   
cynthiamartin383
This room feels really dark and masculine; I can understand your need for something warm and fresh ~ coastal. I’d start with the painting the walls in a “light” sea foam blue. I’m not sure what color the carpeting is? To the left of the photo it looks like there is a darker shade of paint? If so, perhaps you might want to add a darker shade of sea foam or tan? Personally I’d start with light tan carpets (sand), light sea foam running up the walls to the cream white ceilings. I’d pull all the furniture out and only place the pieces back in that are in white or light oak – not the dark stain. Keep all the nick-knacks to a light coastal theme. After you’ve finished this picking out your couch will be VERY easy… you'll know which one will work the minute you see it.
December 31, 2012 at 11:18am   
cynthiamartin383
As for pictures; I love them too! You have plenty of space ~ all around your room. I went to Wal-Mart and bought HUGE matching frames ($5 - $10) and repainted them. A beautiful family picture could hang where the star is, two where the other star is…. I can’t see how much space is on the wall on the left hand side of the photo, between the windows is another place, but you can place them in a line all around the room in a theme if you want? Paint the frames white, to match your theme to keep it light. I’d wash down the fireplace and paint that white too LOL. Paint is cheap!! Love it!! You could have your peaceful paradise in here.
December 31, 2012 at 11:27am   
Nancy Hehmann
For a coastal feel, a lot of decorators use white walls with blue sofas or accessories. Just type Coastal or Nautical in the HOUZZ search engine. If you dont want to do stark white, try antique white which is what I use in most of my rooms. It gives them a larger, clean and more open feel. I think it enhances the other furnishings. If you like coastal photography, check out my shop on Etsy.com. I will post a link to click on below. You can also get great decorator cushions from the site too.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/103095766/tybee-island-lighthouse-photograph-tybee

I have a lot of coastal photography which include tall ships, St. Thomas, Hawaii, Charleston SC.

You can get nice frames at Michaels and they always have a coupon on their website anymore to help you save money.

Happy New Year!
December 31, 2012 at 4:59pm   
Judith Taylor Designs
I like to create spaces that evoke the coastal mood without succumbing to cliches. Having said that, there are some lovely coastal references that convey a highly sought after mood. Take a look at the Cape Cod place I recently uploaded for inspiration or view it on my website www.judithtaylordesigns.com. We used sea glass as an accent colour and many references to the marine lifestyle. For your place, I think that as soon as you move away from the red you will enjoy the refreshing palette change. Cluster a nice conversation grouping of seating pieces around the fireplace and it will be much cozier. Put your money into a well made sofa or sectional. It is worth working with a designer for this as they are trained in furniture construction and textile ratings and can make sure you make a good selection that will last through your grandchildren. It sounds like you are blessed with a lovely family. Enjoy!
December 31, 2012 at 5:08pm   
NEED HELP FOR FAMILY ROOM WALL-10 WIDE BY 8 FT Height
How large of a picture should be placed on a small...
Need help with my 8 1/2 X 12 1/2 family room
Does have a bay window which is the only window in...
Need help with our family room!
Hello! We bought a new sofa (Sectional) picture...
Need help with designing our family room.
We are re-doing a family room in a small house. Would...
Need help for our family room
Our family room is begging for a do-over. We're looking...
Rug pattern ideas with versaille pattern travertine, please?
I recently installed Versaille pattern travertine in...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Fireplace and television spacing
We've just moved into a new home, and we'd like to...
Please help with Exterior color-four days to decide.
We have four days before the painter needs to know...