How to store (and hide) a LOT of DVDs?
ejanz16187
We'll be remodeling our family room next spring and my husband has asked me what I plan on doing with his DVD collection. They are currently on open bookshelves that are somewhat out of the way, which is good because it hides them a little. Those hiding places aren't going to be available anymore, but I DON'T want these things front and center. Any ideas on how to store hundreds of DVDs and CDs without looking like a retail store? Any good closed cabinet options? I've already asked and we can't get rid of the jewel cases, they have to be stored as is.
olldroo
I like drawers for DVDs they lie in with the spine upright so you can easily read the title and you can get drawer inserts to hold them in place. Check out what sized inserts are available before deciding on drawer size. CDs are harder to be able to read titles, but stacking is probably best and again inserts are available to hold them. As long as they are behind doors to avoid the cluttered look and dust is all that is important.

You could also buy an external hard drive to store everything and banish the collection to the garage or attic - might control his urge to buy more :).
    Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 9:37PM
ejanz16187
Thanks -- oh, we have a hard drive and I've tried to suggest that. We all have iPods -- he hasn't used a CD in years. However, he "needs" to have them all out and available. It's a losing battle.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 9:46PM
olldroo
It's a MALE thing!!! The only thing I can suggest is some trade-offs - he can keep them if you can have such and such, and make sure it is something really expensive.

Actually my S-I-L collects magazines and keeps newspapers forever, much to DDs disgust. They installed a weatherproof garden shed in backyard and out they went together with an oversized recliner he had bought that fitted nowhere in the house. One man-cave and everyone is happy!!!!!
    Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 10:02PM
We store our DVD's and CD's in binders specially meant for them. As long as you keep them in alphabetical order it's not that difficult to pull out a binder and find the DVD/CD you're looking for. And, they only take up about 10% of the space!
    Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 3:27AM
olldroo
Bobbi - do you have to take them out of their cases to do that?
1 Like    Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 3:41AM
roo yes you do. But why do you need the cases? Unless you're planning to resell them? The binders keep them clean and safe from scratches, etc. :))
    Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 3:45AM
olldroo
Well the cases have the information in them with respect to a movie for example. I've seen people put them in sleeves in a special suitcase but you have absolutely no idea of anything about the movie. Series from sitcoms only have the episodes listed inside the cases, without that you have no idea of where to find things. I also have a lot of CDs that have song books in and details of all members of a band, things like that. I like my trivia.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 3:54AM
We use a shallow antique jelly cabinet with wood doors. Very pretty, and just a few inches deeper than a CD/DVD case.
    Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 5:28AM
I like the example below with the DVD storage hidden on the side of the fireplace.

2 Likes    Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 9:15AM
Dy, that's brilliant!...Bobbi
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 10:55AM
Interiors International, Inc.
The fireplace idea is great if you can do it. If non floating shelves that you hang open side up. You then fill these with the dvd/cds in their cases. When they are completely filled in you place things on them just like any other shelf would be used. They are in reach and hiding in plain sight.
    Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 11:05AM
onthefence
ejanz - no suggestions, but I feel your pain! Dytecture, that media hub is awesome!

Depending on your style, could you find a coffeetable or footstools with enclosed storage that might hold the bulk of the items? Personally, I hate to commit useful 'living space' to storage.

I really do think that as long as they're recorded and available, banishing the 'physical copies' to storage is the way to go if you could convince him of such.
2 Likes    Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 11:09AM
olldroo
There are revolving stands you can buy that allow access and storage on all 4 sides so they hold a lot but then of course you have to have somewhere to keep them.

III, like your floating shelf idea, only problem is dust, how do you keep that out??

I still think a man-cave is the answer - garage, basement, attic. Be really serious about setting him up with player, headphones, comfy chair, the works, and then see how serious he is.
    Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 7:12PM
Here's a revolving stand as olldroo suggested: [houzz=
]
1 Like    Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 1:34AM
olldroo
You can get them in all sizes and the ones I have seen have doors on them too.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 2:14AM
Where do you store all of the other electronics that go along with the TV?
We need someplace to store our surround sound council...
Brandi Crozier
Do you have a secret hiding place at home for treats just for you?
Do you have a hiding place where you hide little treats...
How. To hide DVDs. Stored behind glass doors
How to make glass doors on my TV unit opaque the CDs...
erindoors
1940's wallpaper - keep it; hide it; strip it?
Our house was built in 1929, and, we think the dining...
cmpieper
modern landscape ideas for small corner lot
I would love to hear from anyone who would like to...
emptygarden
design disaster...House
So confused ... wall paint ... furniture ...? I just...
shielawebster
Curtains and roman shades for gold bedroom
I wish to place full beige/gold curtains at each window...
kslouca home owner
Anyone have creative ideas for my bare wall with thermostat in center?
This hallway wall leads from our front door to our...
jtrumper
Need help with my bathroom!!
I have a vintage blue tile bathroom in my new home....
Tahani Batista
yyy
yuu
test