OLLD 1/1
January 1, 2013 in Other
Good morning all, and happy new year! I hope everyone had a safe and sane New Year's Eve, and if it wasn't sane, Advil usually works well.

You all MUST see this post! Start at the bottom and work your way up, it's def "out there" !!! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/279962/Need-help-for-this-weird-hanging-beam
astraea
Are these New Year's Eve celebration-induced comments? One facetious comment can be amusing, repeated esoteric comments less welcome. Check out the associated Profile; some of the comments are questionable .. and wording questionable for an American.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 4:05AM
olldroo
My God how many times did that guy have to be told anything. That appen........ is an Aussie living in the US but her so called 'humour' was way off the planet even for an Aussie. I was involved with her on another post recently and she sounded really good, I meant to refer it to you as she was on about colours - heaps of things I have never heard of. Now I am wondering a bit though - here's her comment

When people talk about monochromatic, analogous or contrasting schemes, they are talking about hue. Something called navy could have high chroma (like the dark blue paint in children's primary coloured paints), or low chroma (if it was darker and a French navy).

My guess is that the carpet clashes with golds because its hue is towards the red end of orange (so it looks peachy or pink) and the gold has a yellow hue. And that would mean that they are not close enough to be an analogous pair in this case.

Part of the problem you face, I think, is that the hue of your wall is yellow. When the same hue of yellow gets light it can look greenish - look in a Dulux paint Atlas if you don't believe me. Judging by the photos, the sofa could go with the wall and the sofa could go with the carpet and the wall and the carpet go together, but all three at once pull things in too many directions. Your maroon coloured cupboards are also of a pink hue so they match the pink hued carpet and contrast with the green looking walls. Orange does not fit in because it falls between the two pinks at one end and the greens at the other. The other think that helps the carpet and the cupboard work together is that they are very different values - they can't/don't clash because their values are so far appart. Likewise, the contrast is assisted by the difference between the value between the cupboard and the wall - if the cupboard was a pale pink or the wall a dark yellow/green, this would not look so good with the cupboard. Because your carpet and wall are both high value then you cut down you colour options. When decorating with large areas, you should use low chroma no matter what the value, as you have done with your original room.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:24AM
nasmijati
Good morning. Quite the discussion on that Design Dilemma! I felt so sorry for the homeowner that I posted.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:52AM
astraea
The person identified themself as an engineer, and it seems odd to me, that they'd get into such detail (is it even accurate?) about "color" terminology. I don't know if it was the same name or not, but when someone posted such (pompous sounding) buzz words about design in another discussion, a "real" designer said they sounded ridiculous.

I think people want help in layman's terms, but some of these responses sound strictly like the poster wanted to impress everyone with their (alleged) expertise. JMHO.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:54AM
olldroo
Yes it was the same person. What was a bit weird too was that after a response I made the guy assumed I was Canadian because of my spelling, and was quite over the moon when I said I was Aussie. That was when this bird came in and started on about Dulux paints, which is the major brand here, like I was the one with the dilemma, so she really got her wires crossed there. I'm wondering now if it wasn't a whole lot of crap to confuse people more than anything, especially after the current comments.

She is on my list!!!!!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:19AM
I liked the kneeling house! Never heard that expression before.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:22AM
lisalovesquilts
Hi ladies, happy new year. Appen may be a bit manic- on a high! Sounds a bit like a troll.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:23AM
I won't mention any names, but there's an OLLD that had a lot of trouble with this person.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:24AM
olldroo
Methinks they are Asian, not being disrespectful but it explains a lot of quaintness in the language.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 6:26AM
Who might be Asian? Appen or the poster? I think the poster is.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:28AM
olldroo
Both.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:30AM
olldroo
What is everyone doing today? Just having a quiet one or any interesting plans?

Guess I had better go to bed. Had broken sleep last night with noisy house guests, they have all headed up the coast now for a week and BH was chauffeur so not sure how long he is staying - NOT in the good books at the moment - so I should be enjoying the peace and quiet while I can.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:34AM
Night roo! Try to get some good sleep while you can!
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 6:35AM
lisalovesquilts
We are having roast lamb later and tomorrow we take down the tree/decorations so it's our last 'fling' of the season. Start the new year on a good dinner.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 6:43AM
Good idea! Taking down the tree is sad and then there's the post-holiday let down, so start with a good meal and a happy tummy!
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 6:44AM
lisalovesquilts
Roo, regarding the lighthouse lamp post - ever since I was a kid have always loved navy movies. An Officer and a Gentleman- oh those uniforms! (Also am a navy brat.)
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 6:47AM
Uh oh! Appen is from 'stralia, that's what it says in his/her profile!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:47AM
olldroo
Bobbi - I told you that!!! Her posts just aren't fitting the "image" though. There is a photo on the dilemma with one of her comments that shows an Asian woman and makes me wonder if it is her. I asked her what she was doing in the US but didn't get a reply.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 6:53AM
Yep, you're right, roo, you sure did! Maybe she's bored.......
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:56AM
olldroo
Lisa - I always had a soft spot for a uniform and in MY day as a kid there were heaps of great old navy movies around - even John Wayne got in on the act.

Off to bed now. Talk to you all tomorrow.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 7:00AM
astraea
I started finalizing my financial records for 2012, and setting up new spreadsheets for 2013. Found out last night there's a connectivity problem with my printer. Considering that I got a top-of-the-line new computer & printer early August, you sure would hope there wouldn't be any problems at all for a year or two! Sheesh!

Need to go out to get cat food for the wildlife, and pick up film being developed (I'm behind the curve). Think it has photos of the hurricane, so I make post a couple.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:24AM
WELL! That was surely a bizarre convo. There are some strannnnnnggggge people out there is houzz land. Often, I get the feeling that there are a few people who post using different names. (The dead giveaway is attitude.) How is that done? Register with different e-mail addresses? Also, some snarkies seem to simply disappear. Back when our group was having some issues, I tried to figure out how to "disappear" and begin again, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. Also, haven't seen much of
Emily lately, but there is another gal who has appeared.

One poster actually makes me nervous and went after me one day; and with a little investigation I did find other comments made by her/him on the web which really worried me. So I stay away from that one.

Other than that, a new day, a new year and a new beginning for us OLLDs. Looking forward to an exciting year of great conversations.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:27AM
astraea
I've been active on AARP's "Online Community" for more than 5 years, and people can be really amazing! A few would repeatedly violate the "terms of service" & be banned .. only to come back with a new e-mail address & screen name .. but were such creatures of habit, everything else they posted about themselves was the same! Others would create "multiple personalities", so their "sock puppets" could stick up for them in an argument, or post how wonderful they thought the main personality was! Sounds like a kid that has "imaginary friends"!
3 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:38AM
michigammemom
Happy 2013 to all ollds! I truly do not understand such negativity as illustrated on that post...amusing oneself at the expense of the homeowner is shameful. Astraea you inspire me with your organization. MP I hope you win that HGTV dream house. Lisalovesquilts, I hope that tall dark stranger came to your door. Olldbobbi, I love your #1 status...phooey to the haters. Olldroo, I hope your 70th year is stellar. Creeser, what could be better than a new grandbaby in 2013? Feeny, hope everyone is healthy at your house. Judy, thanks for the Uniqclo share.
3 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:12AM
nasmijati
Hi all. My eyes are stuck shut from reading about nursery colors. See post on Houzz Other:
To OLLD Re: nursery colors for infants (1-1-2013)
3 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:48AM
nasmijati
michigammemom, creeser, and judyg,

See post on Houzz Other.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 9:51AM
creeser
Hey ladies and happy new year! In regards to the poster on that design question, I've seen them post on many others and 90% of the time that person is bizarre, aggressive and/or insulting. Very seldom do I see a coherent intelligent post. I find that one disturbing.

eztia, bless your heart and thank you. Off to 12/31 to see what you found out!
3 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 10:41AM
creeser
MM, nothing could be better than a new baby in the family! You and I can do that grandmother oozing and share our finds for the new miracles in our lives for this year!
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 10:43AM
Well, today I have to sing R's praises. Yesterday in the guest room he cut thru the stucco so we could vent the A/C outside, and that's no easy task. He just makes it look easy. Then he removed the old window blinds, and on the inside frame he installed a roll-up shade. On the outside of the window frame he installed all new blinds. Today he hung the cabinet doors I put in there for storage and then I will wallpaper and paint them. Whew! That was a whole lot more work than it sounds. I'm betwixt and between adding curtain panels to the windows. That room looks so much bigger now without the sheers, and panels aren't necessary for light control or privacy. I may just do a cornice instead, what do you all think?
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 11:01AM
bobbi, what kind of cornice?

I like this "more like a shade" look.

2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 11:55AM
judy, that's pretty! I was actually thinking of something made of wood. Or even something I could upholster. I was checking out Houzz ideabooks on cornices and there's only about a billion!

What are you up to today?
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 12:00PM
astraea
Got my Hurricane Sandy photos back; look at my poor trees!
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:14PM
astraea
Nuts .. you can't add photos in an "edit"! Hurricane Sandy .. nothing landed on my house!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:15PM
astraea, that's amazing! Is that a root ball? How old was that tree? I think you got very lucky, lady :))
3 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:27PM
astraea
Yes, but there were 2 trees close together that came down, and the whole bottom was covered with ivy, so that's the root balls from both of them. No clue how old it was. If you think that's impressive, a friend in Westchester, NY, had a tree come down from the back of her yard, across the top of her house .. and extended all the way into the street! Something like $40K worth of damage to the house.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:53PM
Scrolling around looking at pictures. Lately, I am addicted to white and have started a white ideabook.
Put away all the Christmas stuff. When you come into my (fairly large) front hall, I have a pale blue/cream/greyish stone floor with Grey Cashmere walls. Two upholstered arm chairs in the wall color, a beautiful Asian floor screen between in a taupe color with big white egrets and two Japanese pieces, one a desk style and the other a very old, hand painted trunk that is quite large. It is a traveling scene with figures on parade, carrying these trunks. Very special. Over the trunk I hung an 1800's large, ornate, gold leaf mirror. Over the desk I have a clock with gold leaf that was made in Augusta, Maine in 1820. I removed a lot of incidentals for Christmas and did not put them back. I am going to live with it pared down for a while because I think I like it.

As you can tell, most of my pieces are old and a mix. It seems to all work and I think it because my paint choices are very quiet.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 12:56PM

This one is fun with the nail head trim. You could design your own around a pattern in the room.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 12:58PM
astraea, that's a lot of $$$$. Poor thing. I guess you did get really lucky, even tho you lost the trees. At least no damage to your house.

Judy, I love white too. It's clean, and it's pure, and I love it in an eggshell finish. Just a little sparkle without going overboard.

Nail head trim??? Doubtful. Have you ever worked with that stuff? It's pretty difficult. They don't hammer in easily, like a nail does. But thanks for the thought.

Did you all see the dilemma about a hardwood floor finish? Tung oil? Has anyone ever heard of putting tung oil on a floor? I think every time you wash it you'd have to re-oil.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 1:21PM
Nope, bobbi, trust me when I say I have never worked with anything. I am crafty challenged. I love to come up with the idea and then have someone else do it.

I have a friend who does a lot of window treatments for people and she wraps her wooden cornice is some kind of batting and then staples on the fabric. Ever looked at fabricguru.com? There is a lot of great fabrics for not much money as they pick up remnants.
3 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 1:56PM
Crafty challenged, huh??? I love doing stuff myself, although I don't have the stamina I used to , that's for dang sure. I have about a zillion projects ahead of me this year. A LOT of painting, that's something I'd like to hire out, but that's not going to happen. I would like to have as much done as possible before R's family comes to visit, whenever that is.

Thanks for the fabric tip! I'm going to check it out right now, I've been looking for a good black and white fabric.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 2:11PM
nasmijati
Hi all. I am not going to talk about nursery decorating again, now that I realize I "bit off more than I could chew." However, please don't ask ME to sleep in THIS baby room. The colors are too strong for me.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 3:18PM
eztia, no chance in France! As an adult I wouldn't sleep in that room! In, fact, I wouldn't allow that room in my house.

Ok, judy, you got me into this mess.....do you (or anyone!) see red ochre in this fabric? http://www.fabricguru.com/p-medallion-prints/century-jacquard-drapery-fabric-honeysuckle
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 3:26PM
lisalovesquilts
Roo believe it or not (my friend's laugh) but I love John Wayne! I was never attracted to him like he was a hottie - I just like him. One of my old flatmates used to say "When men were men and women were --- grateful!" Ha! You don't sound 70 Roo, so whoo hoo to you!

Michigammemom he was dark (mostly with a bit of silver), not so tall (medium) and not a stranger! Poor husband had to do the honours in the rain! Our middle son was going to but wondered what did he do when he was out there and would anybody see him. We told him just to come back in and no one would see him so he declined! (Loves to make a show that one.)

That storm damage is nasty. I hate to see people left homeless, it is one of the worst things. We had people in shelters in the north east in the run up to Christmas due to sudden heavy rain and flooding.

Bobbi I don't know what you're planning exactly but a few days before Christmas we finished a pelmet for the living room. Hard board with fabric matching the curtains attached by staple gun with header tape for curtain hooks as the pelmet frame was already there. Looks pretty good and real easy. I'll expect better from you though!
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 4:55PM
Thanks, Lisa! Trying to pick a few fabrics before I can decide what I'm going to do. When I watch the Sarah Richardson shows she usually picks three fabrics, although I have to admit they don't match all that well!
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 5:06PM
bobbi, I am not sure I see ochre, but I do see mustaches. Take a close look and then say no to that fabric. :>)
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 5:19PM
judy! hahahaha!!! At first I thought, ok, judy's had one too many, but you're right! That's hilarious! A big no to that fabric!!!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:21PM
Saw that, not too much my style but thanks. Here are two I have chosen, need one more..... http://www.fabricguru.com/p-floral-vine-drapery-prints/swainsboro-cliffside-linen-fabric-onyx http://www.fabricguru.com/p-fabric-by-the-yard/printed-cotton-drapery-black-white-11
The first one is for the slipcover for the headboard, the second will be a panel added to the bottom of the sheers for the closet (the closet has no doors).
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:25PM
olldroo
Good afternoon all - so much for my big plans, I'm being VERY lazy today. Thanks for the compliment Lisa, I get that quite a bit, along with being told to grow up............... NUP, I might have to grow old but I ain't growing up!

I'm madly trying to think of other stars and movies of that era I enjoyed, I am hopeless when it comes to things like that. I just went into Google and found this
http://www.imdb.com/list/AXatNND7op8/?start=1&view=detail&sort=listorian:asc

Ladies - have a drool!!! So many names I had forgotten..........Tony Franciosa - we almost passed out in his movies.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:31PM
Oh, I see. I think you will get more out of the first choice for the headboard, as the repeat is larger and the second for the floor panel. Will it be too heavy for sheers? Put the heavier fabric at the top?

0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:33PM
olldroo
eztia - did you see this discussion?
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/249014/Zebra-print-ceiling-for-a-nursery

Couldn't get to you before they finished the room, but wondered, from your studies, how this would fit?
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:36PM
judy, most of the headboard will be covered by the d*** throw pillows, I hate them but they look good, so I'm not overconcerned about the repeat. I will order more than I need so I can center the largest flower. And for the sheers, I think they need the weight at the bottom because they have no weight of their own!

I saw that zebra print ceiling discussion, that's going longer than ours! I'm just keeping my mouth shut about it. I do not agree so better to say nothing.

Tony Franciosa! I sort of remember him. Did we mention Michael Douglas before he went weird? Streets of San Francisco? Matt Damon! hubba hubba There was a post not that long ago, the poster was going to pattern her bathroom to look like Tiffany's because her favorite grandmother loved Tiffany's, and I said I was going to pattern my bathroom after Matt Damon because I find him very inspirational, did you see that one? I was only joking, natch, but Carolyn took exception to my comment.
3 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:47PM
olldroo
Bobbi - I really liked that first fabric, moustaches or not, if the colour matched your ochre cushion. I liked the structured design of it especially for a pelmet (as we call them - note Lisa and I speak the same language). I like judy's suggestion too for that reason, I think as a stand alone piece it needs to make it's own statement, not be just a pattern.

I have done pelmets by just nailing a board about 4" wide to the top of the window frame and then ironing vylene to the fabric, stitching a bias edging to finish and using thumb tacks or staples attaching it to the top of the board, putting a little pleat on the corners so it hangs down firmly.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 5:48PM
roo, Holy Cow, how did you find this site? I remember when I was about 12 or 13 and Carol Lynley was on the cover of Seventeen magazine. I was enthralled by her clean cut looks and her little flip up hair style. I remember reading her real name was Carolyn Lee and her agent didn't think it was different enough. ??? Love all these pix and will click on each and everyone.

Who is missing? Natalie Wood, Warren Beatty, Susan Kohner, Connie Stevens, Sandra Dee, Bobby Darin, John Saxon, and Jim Garner. Anyone else?
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 5:50PM
Thanks, roo! I love that fabric, I may have to find a use for it. What a great price!

I was thinking....when R's parents come to visit, that guest room will be for us, not them, because we like to give them the master. It has the attached bathroom so they can have some privacy. So I guess I'd better make it really comfortable!
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:52PM
Yes! Jim Garner! Woo!
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 5:52PM
olldroo
Michi - what an amazing comment - I ran out of breath just reading it. Thanks for your good wishes, I'm hoping to be swinging from the chandeliers this time next year.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 5:52PM
olldroo
Judy, that is what I love about Google, you never know what you will find. I thought John Saxon was on there, maybe someone else with that gorgeous, smouldering dark looks ............feel a cold shower coming on.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:00PM
roo, no cold showers, we are too OLLD. Your skin will get puckered and then John Saxon will not want you. Of course we are assuming he still looks like he did back in the day. He probably can't see a pucker, let alone do anything with it.
2 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 6:06PM
olldroo
Actually I was confusing him with George Hamilton, I think he went off in looks as he got older. I was pleased to see Carol Lyndley's hair was a mess too - mine is so much better. Maybe all the years of learning to do things myself instead of having it done for me, has paid off.

First time I went on that link, there was a further link to 60s stars but I can't find it now.

I always adored Sandra Dee and, much to my mother's disgust was always trying to copy her hairdo, but it never worked. She always had such a perfect life in movies, clothes, home, boys, loving parents .............how naive were we!!!
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 6:31PM
greengirl
Well ladies HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I made it back from illness just in time to catch up with all the funnies on houzz. Some strange stuff out there. And I was truly fascinated by that color theory stuff. Had an acquaintance who was a 'colorist' and artist rep. She talks like that. 2 tips she gave me that I still use: when trying to pick a paint color, always put it on a white surface ie tag board or the color will look distorted from any other surface you put it on. Other was, when traveling, shop museum shops cause they have interesting stuff and usually less expensive than the shops there.

So glad 2012 is over. Not our best year. @astrea, I did not forget you. With windows8 it is similar to 7: right click on the photo. Choose 'save picture as' and it will default to My Pictures folder unless you have changed it. You can then add a new folder choosing whatever name you like. If you use it often, right click again and select Create Shortcut or Send to Desktop. You can also put folders onto the bottom menu bar by dragging. If this doesn't work, let me know, there are a few what we call back door ways to get around it from the old days.

Btw, I was raised in northern Westchester co. Lived for 28 urs in Putnam. We often had storms and trees down. The trees there would only go down 6" and if there was much rain and a strong wind, down they were. The 1st present I got hubby for our new home was a 16" McCullough chain saw. We lived in the woods and many a time driveway was impassable. Especially during tax time - hubby is a CPA. And re taxes as he explains it, "stuff has to get paid for somehow. If they don't get it one way, they'll get it another." ;)
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 7:53PM
olldroo
Happy New Year to you too greengirl, sorry to hear you really have been a GREEN girl (silly season does things to my brain) but hope you are now fully in the pink and stay that way. Of course the winter weather doesn't help.

Yes, the colour theory had me very interested too, although I was floundering trying to make sense of it, but now I am wondering how much of it was true. Maybe what she was on about are just things we can see anyway if we have a sense of colour. I will really be watching her posts in future.

Like your hubby's philosophy on taxes. We all want everything but few ever stop to wonder where the money will come from. Of course there are many times we do actually wonder where the money goes, or why it costs so much for Governments to do things that others can do for a fraction of the price.
1 Like   January 1, 2013 at 8:42PM
nasmijati
@olldroo, I did look at the discussion about "putting a zebra print on the ceiling" of the nursery a few times. It has been going on for a couple of months.
I liked what Feeny had to say on November 10, 2012 in that discussion. Way to go, Feeny!
The final wall paper is kinda nice, I think. It will depend on what accessories the mother wants, and it seems she has quite a few directions to explore for that.
I posted and said I had put info in the "To OLLD Re. Nursery...1-1-2013." If the mother reads it, I wonder if any of the info will be helpful to her?
I think the zebra stuffed animal with the high contrast black and white is a good idea.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:11PM
olldroo
eztia, didn't realise it had been going so long, no wonder they got the wallpaper up during it. Just wasn't sure about the glittery effect, I think you would have to be in the room to get the full effect of that. Gotta love feeny - she is good.

Haven't had a chance to check out your post yet, too many interruptions today - thought I was going to have a quiet one.

Zebra colours would be good but I prefer a giraffe for the animal aspect. I have seen some about 3 feet high that the kids love to 'ride' as they get older. Definitely would not put a head on the wall though, just looks too gruesome to me, I see too many dead animals in photos here - can't handle them, but that is just me.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 9:47PM
olldroo
judy, and anyone else interested. I just found the link to that autism test
http://glennrowe.net/BaronCohen/AutismSpectrumQuotient/AutismSpectrumQuotient.aspx

Did it myself - boy you really have to keep your wits about you when you do it.
0 Likes   January 1, 2013 at 10:55PM
astraea
Greengirl - Thanks, but when you right click on the larger photos here, it doesn't work .. probably a copyright thing, like some websites where you can't copy anything. You can copy the smaller versions of the photos, but then when you want to enlarge them, they're very grainy.

My last 13 years working were at the nuclear plant in Buchanan!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 4:39AM
astraea
Roo - I took that evaluation just for the heck of it .. scored 9. I'm one of those people who - knowing what the evaluation's for - think that there should be a "neutral" choice .. where you're not "agreeing" or "disagreeing", and that some questions could easily be interpretted multiple ways, and give false readings. For example, I DO collect information about things .. but only when I'm comparing brands & models to buy something .. not because I'm obsessed with lists of data! And I am fascinated by "numbers", when it comes to tracking my finances, not because I enjoy memorizing the phone numbers in the telephone book!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 4:50AM
olldroo
Astraea, I came out at 14 which was fine but I think I could have answered some questions better. Normally the lack of neutral does annoy me but that one was ok. I am definitely not a numbers person and the older I get the more I switch off to them and don't even try. I can't get the hang of sukodu but can't be bothered even trying but I love many types of crosswords, I am very much a word person. The lists I was a definite no on, I pretty much took a few things at face value.

What interested me was the comment that woman have more empathy than men. BH totally missed the boat in that department, but his whole family is like it, so I didn't think it was primarily a female thing.

I have a feeling that two vital aspects of autism is inability to interact with other people - autistic people are loners and live in their own little world - hence the questions on pretend friends, and obsessive traits - that aspect seemed to come up a bit so I had warning bells ring and thought extra hard before I answered.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:31AM
astraea
Roo - I don't mind being alone, and since I'm single I spend a lot of time that way .. so I had to really evaluate the autism questionaire, when it came to anything loner-related. I'm also very politically involved & with the local historical society, and often attend events where I don't know anyone, and have to make "small talk".
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 6:07AM
Interesting test and interesting assessment of the test from you both. I took it, scored an 11. I had to go back and "check" my answers (oh, no…) and I did make corrections. OCD? hehehe. Some questions would be influenced simply by the fact we might not have been answering objectively. "Do people tell me I repeat my stories?" Only if they dare.

I am going to take the test again, but this time, apply traits and behavior which I see in a man we know.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 7:44AM
"He" scored a 36 !!!! Again, there were questions to which I was applying my opinion, but not so many that would change the score that much.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 7:54AM
astraea
I'm sure this do-it-yourself test needs to be followed up by a visit to a professional. The one person I think is questionable, wouldn't be caught by any of the questions on that test. What about people who insert their own pet phrase frequently in sentences, like "As I was saying", or "Suffice it to say, " Or someone who hums in the background .. not a song, but just hmmmm?
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:05AM
I scored 17. See? I told you I was normal!!!
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 9:21AM
mpoulsom
where are you ladies? Happy New Year! :)
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 9:25AM
mpoulsom
so are we not starting a anew? because I have something to post!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:27AM
astraea
There is a discussion for today, 1/2, but since no one posted since I did earlier, you have to scroll down the list to find it.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:29AM
M- go to OLLD 1/2!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 9:31AM
olldroo
Astraea, I think we are all intelligent enough to take this test for what it is. Definitely though there would be many who would need the professional follow up. Don't know about autism, but many mental illnesses cause sufferers to become very cagey and devious to avoid direct answers. Dementia definitely gets people like that, my mother's wasn't diagnosed for many years because she had comebacks to every question you asked and coverups and excuses for every stupid and weird thing she did. She was never a very bright person but as the dementia progressed she got very quick and soooo cunning.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 5:33PM
I notice with my friend's autistic son and my friend's daughter with Asperger's that there is no eye contact at all.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:49PM
olldroo
That is normal, it is all about not being able to react with other people. I notice next door they have the blinds pulled low all the time or paper stuck to large windows. Seems it is like a containment/security thing to keep him in his space - he loses it easily when he is in open spaces.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:00PM
OLLD 1/11
Good Morning Ollds! Hope everyone is alive and kicking...
OLLD 11/1
Did everyone have fun last night? We had a great time,...
OLLD11/11/13
HAPPY VETERANS DAY Are there any veterans out there....
OLLD 11/11
Good morning and happy Veterans Day! I was thinking....you...
Please advise,what are the shutter size? 1",1 1/2 etc. Thanks for help
What size are the shutter. 1" or 1 1/2 etc. Thanks...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
What to do with this space?.
It's supposed to be second dining room but we don't...
What would you do on this wall?
Need wall opinions. Rest of room looking good, not...
Euro kitchen cabinets and house for sale.
We are trying to sell our house and our terrible kitchen...
Kitchen lighting advice
I am trying to order a chandelier to go over my island,...