Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandcory

Living room lighting and layout help

D L
9 years ago
We just moved into our first house and we're stuck on how to layout the living room. Also, lighting can be a little dim and just doesn't seem even. Right now we're using what we have as we're hesitant to make any purchases until we have a plan.

We mainly use this room to socialize, read, and listen to music. We have a theater room we use for movies and tv.

We've entertained everything from sconces to can lights to lamps.

It took us a couple weeks to feel good about a layout.

We're open to all ideas especially those that are creative and outside the norm. Any thoughts please share!! Thanks!!

Comments (5)

• Carol Singletary
    9 years ago
    Hmmm. . .I am not a lighting expert, so take this for what it is worth.

The can lights over the fireplace appear to be too bright and focused. Seems to me a softer or more diffuse lighting there would help?

If you use this room for reading, then you need some lamps closer to the chairs. Have you considered an arc floor lamp, like the attached photo? It would allow you to plug into the wall, but then hang closer to your seating. Just a thought.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

If you don't watch TV here, I'd remove it entirely. Hang art in its place above the mantel, put a dimmer on the lights and focus them on the art for a nice pop of color. Art should be no wider than the firebox opening for balance. Pull the rug away from the hearth about 12-18". Move the sofa to face the FP with the coffee table 18" from it to be useful. Angle the chair with the end table and lamp just right of the FP. Place a bench under the window. Mount a stacked art collage above the credenza. Footprint of it should be under 75% of the credenza's length. Add a pair of lamps on top of it. On the stairwell wall, place a slim console table. Above it mount a pair of sconces and a mirror. Replace the builder's special boob light at your entry with a track light system that lights the entry, stairs and wall. It should run the length of the wall.

FP lighted art and strip lighted wall

Bryant Residence 04 · More Info

Strip lights
    Contemporary Art Gallery Hallway · More Info

Credenza with stacked art and lamps
    Lake Mary Rustic Style Residence · More Info

Console table with mirror and sconces (you need electric ones)
    East Hampton · More Info

• D L
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Great advice deco and carol. Question: since the two couches we have are a 3-seat and 2-seat are you saying to just switch their positioning? What do you mean by angle the chair? Go away with the 90 degree? Thanks.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

Just reverse them so the larger one faces the FP. I was looking at the first two photos and thought the love was a chair when I commented.

• Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Have you tried the couches facing each other? Turn the carpet and coffee table and pull in the couch, so that you can add a couch table/lamp behind. I would remove that floor lamp (not flattering light) and with the light on couch table, you're good at that end. On the back wall you could add a rustic rectangle mirror which will reflect light back into the room and move floor lamp to the corner. I feel the prints near kitchen are too small/not enough and too high - see pic below for more apprpriate size and placement (you could jsut have four). The lighting fixture (would go with a brushed bronze to keep that warm/casual feel) at the front door could be a more modern pendant and it too would improve your lighting - put on a dimmer for a nicer effect. You could reaccessorize your coffee table and back bench/table and I woouldn't tie back the drapes and would remove valance for a more modern look. Hope this helps and all works out.

Black & Beige Living Room · More Info

Jennifer Brouwer Design Inc · More Info
    Kichler Lighting Transitional Inverted Pendant Light X-ZO12124 · More Info

Haussmann Mirror NE Teak Branch 30 in SQ (21 x 21) Tung Oil · More Info
    Tropical Entry · More Info