Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wifeontheisland

Help me finish our dining room!

wifeontheisland
9 years ago
This is our space this far. We don't want to change the wall color (SW Amazing Gray) at this time but we could make an exception for the recess (SW Keystone Gray). We are looking for a table and chairs for at least 8. The rug is 8x10 for reference. I feel like I've looked at so much online that I've lost my inspiration for finishing it. Please help!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Alexanian Carpet & Flooring
    9 years ago

Hi wifeontheisland.... are you planning on keeping that rug? It looks very nice, but you could visit alexanian.com for more rug ideas. Let me know if you would like some suggestions.

Wendy

wifeontheisland thanked Alexanian Carpet & Flooring
  • PRO
    Bliss Tile
    9 years ago
    what's the overall design of the adjacent rooms type of furniture and period?
    what is your desired feel? light & open, or more rich & luxurious
    wifeontheisland thanked Bliss Tile
  • OldGrayMare
    9 years ago
    I like a large round table....so much easier to squeeze extra chairs in when needed.
    wifeontheisland thanked OldGrayMare
  • hmendez79
    9 years ago
    I like the idea of a farmhouse style table. It would look really good in your space. But don't settle. You will not be happy with the end product
    wifeontheisland thanked hmendez79
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

This chart will help you figure out the table. Your rug only needs to be 4' wider and longer than the table. I like this one, but it may look a bit too large once you find the table. I'm guessing a round table might work well in this space.

wifeontheisland thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Carguy .
    9 years ago
    I'm not sure what type of chairs you prefer, but I think this table could work in your room. It is 60" diameter.
    wifeontheisland thanked Carguy .
  • wifeontheisland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Alexanian This rug is new but I may switch it out depending on the table and chairs. What would you suggest?

@blisstile The other rooms are unfurnished yet. Well, they have our post college first furniture purchases in them at the moment and nothing matches what our style has evolved to. We like the Hamptons style but without anything referencing the beach because we are landlocked in the Midwest. Our kitchen is white cabinets, gray island, with white marble look quartz countertops. The other adjacent room is the great room with views of birch and pine trees and stained wood built ins and stacked stone fireplace.

• wifeontheisland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@bungalowmo I totally agree! I am keeping my eyes open. The problem is I don't have the luxury of time to browse such shops. It sounds like an ideal day date with my husband though. Thank goodness there is Facebook, and I follow a few shops on there, waiting for them to post something that catches my eye. I browse Craigslist on the regular too. Good advice on taking your time too.

• tgb1
    9 years ago

I feel like I'm being stupid, but what is the recessed area for?

• wifeontheisland
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @tgb1
    The recess is just a built in sideboard and the space above it. I'd like to put a piece of art there. I love that it's built in. One less piece of furniture I have to worry about and it's very handy for storing those serving dishes.
  • PRO
    Alexanian Carpet & Flooring
    9 years ago

Hi again wifeontheisland,

Thanks for your response. I love your wall colour and looked up the SW sample colour online. It looks like a beautiful taupe, warm colour. I can see from the chandelier that you have a slightly transitional style going on. You could go either way, modern, transitional or traditional with your rug. I think the 8x10 size (or slightly larger) is a definite fit for the room. Here are some suggestions. For more info. have a look at alexanian.com They offer free shipping to Canada and the US.

I could definitely see this one below working well with your light.

Carpet Information · More Info
    This one below might be nice if you are looking to introduce more colour into the dining room, or adjacent rooms.

This one below is a real show stopper! A great conversation piece that will really make a statement in the room.

This one below is absolutely beautiful. A little softer look and again a nice introduction to accent colours.

A slightly more traditional look to your space.

Again, a play on the chandelier.

This one below is a beautiful rug, this picture doesn't do it justice. Have a look online instead if you wish.

Best of luck, Wendy

p.s. your home is beautiful.

• dclostboy
    9 years ago

Found this table base on etsy...fits nicely with chandelier

• dclostboy
    9 years ago

Add some silver dupiioni curtains

wifeontheisland thanked dclostboy
  • dclostboy
    9 years ago