Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ntrama

I need to find a mirror to put over the console table

ntrama
9 years ago

My console is 48 inches wide, I have 9 foot ceilings and the items on the table may go. Not sure how to decorate it. Waiting to figure out mirror first. Table is in a bronze finish. I trying to figure out what to paint my walls.

Comments (88)

• arkelleymd
    9 years ago
    I bought a large empty vintage frame and then hung a smaller mirror inside- economical and a really fun look.
    ntrama thanked arkelleymd
  • mail4cbowman
    9 years ago

If the mirror isn't reflecting anything great - don't bother. Put up some artwork (a gallery wall would keep the scale of the table) and include a mirror for reflection. And yes, put something underneath that table - a ceramic garden stool in one of the colors from that painting would also tie in with the white ginger jar...

ntrama thanked mail4cbowman
  • jodyanns
    9 years ago

Skip the mirror. A poster sized botanical would be beautiful and add some color. It looks very plain in the area. Some type of chest or small upholstered bench of some kind would fill the void under the table. Another option is get rid of the table altogether for something more filling. Like a small desk a small chest [drawers also useful for gloves scarves, etc. ] with a lamp and floral or books. Good luck.

ntrama thanked jodyanns
  • bonniegw
    9 years ago

I love using mirrors to decorate my house, both for the room-brightening reflection of windows and to make small spaces look larger. Not to mention the functionality of being able to discreetly check hair/makeup/... :-) You can design a custom mirror for a very good price at www.pictureframes.com: select the perfect frame from a wide selection (they provide as many free samples as you want) and the dimensions, and it's finished and delivered in just a few days. They're a wonderful company to work with; I've bought many frames and several mirrors from them over almost twenty years now.

ntrama thanked bonniegw
  • milliego
    9 years ago

scale of bench - remove bench - remove picture -replace with a rectangle picture or mirror - then take a look.

ntrama thanked milliego
  • Darzy
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Horchow Mirror.. This is a perfect size 25.5" x 42" tall and $345. I like the delicate frame and also has curves and rectangular combined.

ntrama thanked Darzy
  • jackiepr
    9 years ago

ntrama, What a beautiful setting. You have many terrific suggestions here. Here goes one more if that is ok... Avery sent you some pictures of mirrors which are lovely. I think keeping in mind the table that is anchoring the space is very delicate, you need to walk gently. I personally think the first mirror Avery shows with the indented corners would look perfect... Staying away from the big flashy framed ones which might conflict with the simplicity of your table. The lamp JudyG Designs shows would be a perfect fit with it, assuming it is on the smaller side. Maybe one ginger jar, and a simple little plant or fresh flowers could top it off. From this vantage point it does look as though the table needs to move to the left a bit. My very best to you. There are no rules really as long as you give it balance, texture, and most of all feels right with you, so play around with it and you will get there.

ntrama thanked jackiepr
  • PRO
    AFS Mosaics
    9 years ago
    what about a custom mosaic art piece? http://www.mosaicsbyariel.com for your home project.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

Your delicate, feminine and leggy table needs to be handled gingerly so as not to overpower it or give the appearance that items on top or on the wall could easily crash down and totally demolish it. I'd look for an equally delicate mirror and a beautiful potted orchid to place on top. Underneath, you might try a lacy maidenhair fern in a small cache-pot.

Pascala Mirror · More Info
    Berries Mirror, Brass · More Info

• bmr4
    9 years ago

Try World Market. Very reasonable but substantial.

• ntrama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A lot of great suggestions!!!! I am overwhelmed with the suggestions. However, the console table is brand new so I can not get rid of it but all the times on the table are not staying. I just threw them on there to have something. Now I am worried that a mirror would reflect the column. Also, the table is centered on the wall. The wall cuts in a little and wall is not centered in the entry. I just don't know what the right thing to do is. There are definitely a lot of opinions. I know that different things would work and I appreciate the suggestions. Can anyone photo shop for me when they give an example. Thanks for all your help.

• whynotdecorate
    9 years ago

Hard to tell your style and color scheme from this picture but if you like a bit of surprise and it works, going with a more ornate blue frame that matches the sky in the painting would be really fun. I'd move the table about five inches to the left. The stool is adorable but looks to tiny under the table. Oops…just saw your post above about the table being centered on the wall. Disregard the above. :) You'll do great! Show us the finished product and don't let all the suggestions overwhelm you…just take what you really like and toss the rest.

ntrama thanked whynotdecorate
  • ntrama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After all this, I found a mirror in my basement that I put on the table and it did reflect the pillar wall right opposite it and I did not like the way it looked. I guess I will need to pick a piece of art work instead. Any suggestions on that. I have not painted the walls yet waiting to figure out my color scheme in the front of the house, but I do want a neutral color that will be a grayish putty color of sorts. I do not want to do revere pewter.

• bonniegw
    9 years ago

A suggestion on the placement of the table; you have it centered on the three panel details (with one full panel centered under the table) and it looks a little awkwardly hidden behind the column. If you move the table left just a few inches (centered on the left two panels instead of three, if that makes sense) you will get it out from behind the column feature.

ntrama thanked bonniegw
  • mullin
    9 years ago

I agree that moving the table 2-3 inches could make a difference. Also, try the suggestion from JudyG Designs to re frame your painting, do a matting and make it larger. It uses the things you already own and hopefully love. A much larger chest/pouf/bench upholstered in a fabric of one of the colors pulled from the painting but is cohesive with other colors in the home. Take away one of the white decorative items and add a couple of interesting colorful books.

ntrama thanked mullin
  • Mary Seymour
    9 years ago

A grouping of antique hand mirrors would look nice and be fun to shop for, center one and fan out from there.

ntrama thanked Mary Seymour
  • Connie Williams
    9 years ago

I see a tall, narrow bamboo or gold frame, or frame-less, mirror (perhaps with a detailed shape on the top). I love the idea of a plant or two, depending on lighting, maybe a small tree to the left of the console table.

ntrama thanked Connie Williams
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Shop
    9 years ago

Try your local thrift store or antique shop for a unique piece to fit your space and keep within your budget. Think outside the box, even though it may be the wrong color think about the lines and what it will bring to the space to tie everything in. Don't just check out mirrors, also look at wall decor. Even though an old picture may be outdated it can still have a beautiful frame. Remove the picture, add a mirror, and a good coat of paint to the frame and you now have a one of a kind focal point. If you can't find the perfect size try grouping pieces together. Same rules apply, try to not look at an item in it's current state, you are looking for the perfect symmetry. Can a simple coat of paint make it work? Good Luck with your space and happy hunting for the perfect mirror.

ntrama thanked The Kitchen Shop
  • leelee
    9 years ago

Since your console is delicate with thin legs use a mirror with a slim frame. A frame too wide will look top-heavy and off-balance with the table.

ntrama thanked leelee
  • BeenAroundtheBlock
    9 years ago

The table should be centered. I would use a heavier but open table with a mirror and one rectangular lamp. Kirklands has these kinds of tables and many mirrors, very reasonable. See pix

ntrama thanked BeenAroundtheBlock
  • PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    9 years ago

FIRST CONSIDER WHAT THE MIRROR WILL REFLECT! If it's another blank wall, or a painting, you'll be defeating the purpose. A mirror should reflect a view or add depth and sparkle to a space. Consider a 'fractured' mirror, something that would add sparkle without looking flat and dull, or one that has an artistic value as well as reflective. See some ideas below.

ntrama thanked Robin Lechner Designs
  • PRO
    Curtain Call
    9 years ago

Good point.

ntrama thanked Curtain Call
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago

A small starburst won't reflect enough for you to have to consider that aspect of hanging a mirror.

ntrama thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Curtain Call
    9 years ago

One more point; I agree with Robin Lechner Designs that a mirror should have something to reflect. However, your mirror is in your foyer; we have one there too, and we use it to check ourselves out before we leave the house (we're a vain bunch).

ntrama thanked Curtain Call
  • jackiepr
    9 years ago

ntrama... Wow, Leelee's mirror (photo) would look very good with your table. It mimics the legs on that piece. Nice match LeeLee! One other thing, some are saying your mirror needs to reflect something. I think it needs to serve a purpose first as Curtain Call said. It looks as if it would reflect light for you in that area which is good, serve as a beautiful design statement and also a place to primp on the way out the door. As you move around in a room the reflection changes anyway. So unless it's reflecting, at any point, something like a toilet, (LOL) not to worry.

ntrama thanked jackiepr
  • aeramsey04
    9 years ago

I'm back. I've been thinking about your delimma. I do believe you'd better stop for now regarding your table, & go ahead & get your new furniture, etc. Then, after you've fixed up your living room, you can go back to your table. At this point you can pick out color schemes, whether in a painting to reflect a little of your livingroom, lamp, etc. If that's an electrical outlet to the left of the table, move the table closer to it. A lamp cord will drive you crazy dangling down the wall & will distract from the nice table. You can disguise the cord by adding larger items under the table that reflect your style. Another thought, whatever you end up selecting for over the table, & lamp style & size might be difficult to choose. Possibly think about a quartz light, or another type of elegant "nightlight" on the table. I've also discovered that small seemingly uninteresting pieces of art (child's drawing, one of yours, etc. can be dynamite framed properly... If you would like a mirrow to peek into before you answer the door, place a small oval one beside the door, or elsewhere nearby. There are so many wonderful suggestions to you above. Good luck.

ntrama thanked aeramsey04
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago

I love your console table vignette. I also agree with moving it to the left. Buy or find at a thrift shop a ceramic garden stool to place under the table. Or a storage cube or bench. It is a perfect spot for a mirror. It will not reflect the same thing as you walk by, so don't worry about the reflection. Maybe a frondy plant by your pillar will look nice as you look at yourself before going out. The filigree jar will look spectacular after you paint your wall.

ntrama thanked sandradclark
  • everdebz
    9 years ago

I think you have nice items, and this mirror is a bit small at 20 square, but maybe there's a larger size. As to the reflection and you said that the post showed - it's ok to 'think outside the mirror' haha and look at it from seated area, from front door, etc..... it does change after all.... There's a lot of 'trim' and so I see the point made that more little items might look busy, and one large art, better. ??

Are those wheatback chairs?

Currey & Company Tramp Art Mirror, Square · More Info

ntrama thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    9 years ago

A Fabulous PreFab with Mountain Views · More Info

ntrama thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    9 years ago

Hand-forged metal.

Uttermost Halsey Gold Metal Mirror X-87821 · More Info

ntrama thanked everdebz
  • mobarnica
    9 years ago

ntrama thanked mobarnica
  • mobarnica
    9 years ago

Sorry it's sideways!

ntrama thanked mobarnica
  • bgershenj1
    9 years ago

I am a less is more kind of person. Take the things off the table.Use a long tall mirror over the table and add a beautiful bowl or some interesting piece under the mirror. Perhaps a beautiful upholstered ottoman under the table or an unusual basket that will hold magazines.

ntrama thanked bgershenj1
  • Lisa Schoeplein
    9 years ago

Try Wisteria they have some beautiful mirrors!

ntrama thanked Lisa Schoeplein
  • PRO
    JClark Designs
    9 years ago

Love the table! Suggest thrift stores and Home Goods/TJ MAXX for mirrors. You need something 24" or so wide and 40" or so tall. If you like eclectic, the mirror could be painted a bright color, coral, teal, leafy green.... should have an interesting frame. It should go on the right side of the table to play up the height. On the left, I would put an interesting lamp, small footprint, 24-36" tall. You could use one of your white urns in front of the mirror, perhaps take the lid off and place it on the glass top and put a large leaf, bloom or interesting dried grass/twigs inside. The open glass area should have 2 or 3 interesting items. Suggestions, a short stack of books with beautiful covers and an interesting item on top (seashell, rock, small sculpture). It should not look cluttered. The second urn could be placed on the floor under the left side of the table with another piece, a small footstool, a piece of driftwood, etc. Good luck, post picks once you have finished.

ntrama thanked JClark Designs
  • sandybells
    9 years ago

I bought a beautiful Nicole Miller at TJMax that is just lovely. It is round and beveled around every curve. I dearly love it.

ntrama thanked sandybells
  • Margery
    9 years ago

I am a bit confused about the layout of this hallway. Is it IN the entry? How much of a wall is there at right angles to where the table is? If this is not the entryway, perhaps a small armchair tucked in the corner with a small table and lamp might be interesting. If it IS the entry, it is good to have a table like you have and a mirror. Your table is very nice. I assume it has a MARBLE top not glass? You've got a lot of wainscoting going on which white on white is nice but you still plan to paint so that might make the wall even busier! The simplicity of your table is handsome but it DEMANDS a rectangular mirror, a fairly large one with equally SIMPLE lines! I can't believe all those who are suggesting nice but inappropriate ROUND mirrors! Absolutely NOT! Please keep items on top of the table very simple and not so much! Try to use something original not just more stuff you can buy at Pottery Barn or Pier 1. I like the idea of a few leather bound books and a simple lamp is always good in a hallway. I have an antique store here where they sell small groups of antique parchment books tied with rough looking string dying for a home like yours! They also sell gorgeous French antique Louis XV! silver leaf mirrors, rectangular with both top corners simply curved The silver not gold leaf would not be too heavy looking for your table. Very classy looking! I used a pair of those mirrors in my newly renovated master bath over contemporary custom vanities. Look wonderful if you want a photo gimme a yell! grandsturdy410@yahoo.com.

ntrama thanked Margery
  • quatorze
    9 years ago

A touch strident, all those pronouncements in capital letters....

ntrama thanked quatorze
  • sandybells
    9 years ago

Everything in your photo looks really straight lines. I would consider curves to create interest and draw the eyes up the wall.

• Art Morris
    9 years ago

How about this baby ? 51 by 63 inches. $375 from eurologiccabinets@yahoo.com

• PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    9 years ago

Love your vignette and entryway! I'm thinking a fun starburst mirror would be great here!

• Joann Lewis
    9 years ago

Why not group pictures in identical framing material. Family pictures, flowers or any other theme that appeals to you.

• russianbaroness
    9 years ago

Ntrama: I also like Avery's suggestion.....as well as leelee's....vertical with height and thinly framed...gold/gilt. But, you have quite a bit of flexibility in your beautiful space. I think your table is quite special and love the two urns. I am a bit of a symmetry girl.

Here are a couple pics of my smallish entry area:

"Michael" mirror from ZGallerie, two basic chinese garden stools, a delicate-legged black piano-finished table (I needed a REALLY shallow piece because of stairway to the left), a second-hand store red Bakkhar rug.....Oh, got the lamps years ago at Big Lots!

• russianbaroness
    9 years ago

My faves for yor space......Avery & Leelee's ideas:

• russianbaroness
    9 years ago

Better context pic....but still grainy:

• russianbaroness
    9 years ago

Here's an interesting option from Scenariohom.com

Antique Gold Himalayan...affordable at $327.80

Nice and tall....unique....not cookie cutter....looks like a "found" piece to me.

http://www.scenariohome.com/products/gold-himalayan-mirror?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=531591789&gclid=CPqEz9aqksQCFZGIaQodCloAWA

• russianbaroness
    9 years ago

Sorry...that's Scenariohome.com, ntrama!

• Katie Williams
    8 years ago
    Definitely move the table to the left several inches. I think a collage of 3-5 small items (could be paintings, photos, or mirrors) would look best above the table. Just be sure to stagger them.
  • columbia93
    8 years ago

Try Art.com. They have a lot of paintings and in "oversized", which would work for your tall ceilings.

• emilydiva78
    7 years ago
    i have a black entry table and want to paint an old mirror but dont know what color to paint. i have seafoam green wall.