Style of home?
Gina Zelade
Anyone have an idea of what style this home would be? It was built in 1933.
azbebe
http://www.visitdownersgrove.com/portals/0/misc/SearsHomeTourGuide2011.pdf - you got me going on this one - I found this website - and there were some similarities to the house you pictured - I really love the look of this home and can see so many possibilities with it - hope this helps
January 1, 2013 at 6:57PM   
claudiann
Storybook Art Deco. I think but I'm not an expert. I love this style. I have a coffee table book about storybook houses. I collect things...paintings, pottery etc. with Art Deco storybook. Clarice Cliff was an English ceramic painter who used this type of house in her designs. There is a painter on eBay who paints them also. Her user name is moonflower. On eBay there are a lot of vintage Christmas cards with homes like yours. If I won the lottery and could build any type of home it would be a storybook. Also. Look at pictures of storybook homes in California . There were popular in one community. I live in the Midwest but we have a few here too.
January 1, 2013 at 7:03PM   
claudiann
Ps. Just google storybook house and look at the images. Mary engerbreit also lived in one outside St. Louis. She had a coffee table book with photos of it inside and out. I am such a fan of hers and it was just georgeous .
January 1, 2013 at 7:09PM   
Gina Zelade
Thanks! I had no idea. This house is in the midwest, about half way between St. Louis and Kansas City.
January 1, 2013 at 7:51PM   
Gina Zelade
So could I replace the old screen and wooden doors with new doors painted red and keep the storybook look on this house?
January 1, 2013 at 8:04PM   
claudiann
I think it would be nice. In a lot of the paintings I've seen they paint the homes with a red roof and red door.
January 1, 2013 at 8:19PM   
claudiann
I wonder what was the color of the house before it was painted white?
January 1, 2013 at 8:21PM   
Gina Zelade
Not sure. I know it was built by a local doctor and there is a small house next door with the same strange siding that was once on the same property but has since been sold.It has nice original woodwork in entryway and dining room and stained glass in dinning room that is original.
January 1, 2013 at 8:31PM   
Ebony Harris
Great upkeep on the woodwork!
January 1, 2013 at 8:50PM     
houssaon
What a special house to call home! Love the railing detail. This house would look wonderful in color.

I wonder if the shed dormer was added later? I would paint it a darker color so it is not so noticeable.

If you want to ge red for the front door this is a wonderful shade: Dinner Party Paint.

For for the body of the house: Dry Sage 2142-40 by Benjamin Moore or Sage Mountain 1488. I would do Benjamin Moore Cottage Red on the window casings and White Dove on the trim.

I think you can replace the leaders with rain chains, which would look so much better. See: The Gatehouse
January 1, 2013 at 8:53PM     
claudiann
Beautiful ! You have bought my dream home.
January 1, 2013 at 8:54PM     
Gina Zelade
Well I'm trying to buy my dream home too. We have it under contract. We have loved it since we laid eyes on it. Thanks!
January 1, 2013 at 9:03PM   
How can I improve the style of this bungalow-style home?
If you have any tips or ideas on how to make this bungalow...
Front yard fence style for Spanish style home
I am purchasing a home with an Italian Terra Cotta...
What design style is this home? Perhaps Prairie Style?
I'm looking to do some remodeling. My home has similar...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Foyer decoe
I have a large 10"x8") niche in my foyer which is...
Dining chair conundrum...
Dear Houzz Community, I am hoping for some advice on...