Family room redo
pjroJanuary 2, 2013
Redesigning family room: dealing with large windows on one wall, fireplace on another. Only furniture that NEEDS to stay is coffee table.
We are planning on doing flat screen TV (NOT above FP), and getting
One leather recliner. Rest open for suggestion! (Christmas decor will be eliminated..lol)
You'll have so much more flexibility with your room if you mount TV above the FP and turn your sofa to face it. You need some soft armchairs, to cozy up all the wood, especially the wood arms on the sofa and chair. A "thin out" is in order too, even after the seasonal items are removed. Box all the accessories, throws, pillows, pictures candles, area rugs, etc in warm and cool season boxes. Then only use the appropriate season's accessories and change out twice a year with your general decor.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 2:08PM
mmilos
I'm a guy, so I would start with a new 60" flat screen TV mounted on a rustic television easel (like this one from RH) next to the fireplace: http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2260006&categoryId=cat1850055

A large comfy leather sectional like this would look nice: http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=4934645&categoryId=8200

New drapes that go floor to ceiling.
    Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 2:18PM
Manon Floreat
Once you clear out all of the items you won't be keeping, I'd find a nice area rug. I would also consider built-ins on either side of the fireplace. One side can house the TV. Mounting it on a swing bracket will allow you to angle it. I'd also look into different window coverings to compliment your design preferences.

1 Like    Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 2:21PM
Norma Sassone
Personally, I hate craning my neck to watch a TV over the fireplace and it puts two focal points in one place. I see you like an Early American style - will you be sticking with that? Or could you go with the mission style of the couch and chair which I think are quite nice? I would put a stickley style TV cabinet on the wall opposite the window and couch, that you can fit the TV, books and a few photos and display pieces. One of the things that folks do way too much of is having a gazillion little knick knacks on the shelves and walls - it makes it feel all busy. A nice big rug, some colorful pillows, curtains to the ceiling (not pinch pleats!), ditch the two ladder backs to the kitchen, a sturdy mantel with one or two really vertical items or one large landscape perhaps, a wooden trunk coffee table, one glass shaded floor lamp,
    Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 2:28PM
Norma Sassone
some curtains and art, as well
    Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 2:31PM
Norma Sassone
lamp and two extra chairs next to fireplace
1 Like    Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 3:01PM
pjro
Love love love your ideas! Thanks for your expert tips!!
    Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 7:55AM
Downstairs family room flooded out twice. Need to redo the whole room
It is a big room, with wood burning fireplace and patio...
deetka
Need advice on kitchen/family room redo...
I would love some advice on redoing this kitchen and...
kantonpippin
Paint technique
We are in the middle of a family room redo. We put...
myhauzz1
Need help with family room redo
We ordered a new pellet insert to replace our wood...
dkmuro
white ice granite and wall color for kitchen
Want warm very light yellow or cream for family room...
kathy64
Countertop conundrum!!
I'm so frustrated with countertop shopping. I knew...
Kriste Kalk_Ross
Bedroom needs finishing details?
How do I jazz up this space? Looking for suggestions...
retrogirl73
Need color advice for entryway, stairs and hallway
Preparing to paint entry, hallway and stairs. Thinking...
adrienneham
Flooring color
I am doing a new kitchen/great room. Kitchen cabinets...
oliveah
What kind/ color of Curtains for a Small beige formal living room
What kind and color curtains for small formal living...
rosem55