Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david_worley87

Exterior paint and ugly 70's rock wall

David Worley
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I just purchased my first house and cannot wait to change the entire exterior. The rock is really bugging me and I was considering removing it however I feel like the house would look too bland without them. They have somewhat of an brown/orange color and have ugly concrete used as grout. Any suggestions on how to make my new place look more modern would be much appreciated. Thank you all.

Comments (20)

• hayleydaniels
    9 years ago

The orangish pink doesn't work on the outside of a house. Match one of the brown or gray colors in the rock which is very attractive and adds a lot to the house. Once you get some matches, I'd go a shade or two lighter as it will look better lighter with that rock.

Be sure and get paint samples before you buy your paint so you can make sure you like how the color looks with the rock, and in general.

David Worley thanked hayleydaniels
  • PRO
    Kingston Flooring LLC
    9 years ago

You might try and paint the rock first and see how it looks. I have seen many houses with rock very similar to yours and one that stands out was painted a medium to dark grey on the lower rock with a lighter shade of grey above with white trim and black shutters. It really looked good, it had clean modernized look with nostalgic flair.

It's quick, easy and probably the cheapest option and you can do a test spot some place on the side or back to see if it's going to work for you. If not you can always go the next option. Hope that helps.

David Worley thanked Kingston Flooring LLC
  • PRO
    Maltby Design
    9 years ago

What's your budget? I reasonable, I'd replace the 'stone' veneer with wide shiplap siding, topped with a continuous, wood water table just below the window sills. All painted to complement the stucco.

David Worley thanked Maltby Design
  • David Worley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would like to send $1,500 or less on the entire exterior. But I could be convinced to spend more if it will really make a difference. Thank you all for your advice. I have much more to consider now. If I paint the rock I think it would have to be sprayed due to all the small crevices etc. Any additional insight is much appreciated :)

• David Worley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kington Flooring LLC... is there any way you could post a picture of the house you are talking about? I would love to see what that looks like.

• Belahn
    9 years ago
    I like the rock and think it would look better if you painted the rest of the house to blend better with it. My 2 cents.
    David Worley thanked Belahn
  • Darzy
    9 years ago

I agree with Libra...work with the stone as painting stone doesn't look great. A neighbor around the corner from us painted their stone like yours. It looks okay...but not really good. I'd work with the stone and paint and change other details to accentuate the stone instead.

David Worley thanked Darzy
  • Darzy
    9 years ago

Victoria Residence · More Info

• Gretchen Maurer
    9 years ago

yes paint the house. power wash the stone and high gloss it. use a deeper shade on the house and it will have a cool vibe.

• michelesample
    8 years ago

i like the stone. I think the peach paint is what's making it look dated.

• PRO
    Wascha Studios
    8 years ago

I agree- stick with the stone. Select a paint that accentuates a color in the stone that you like. Other easy curb appeal items would be beef up the bottom of the columns on either side of the Entry door (add some trim at the base of each column), install a great light fixture to brighten things up, and change out the garage door so it too feels updated. A few potted plants near the entry can't hurt either! -Stephanie

• Holly Cooper
    8 years ago

Guess I'm the only one that suggests removing the stone... lol

• msyoni
    7 years ago

Paint - try adding shutters in the front - I would make my porch one level and change posts to make an inviting entry and room for a chair. Cut out a curved flower bed in front. The rock is the interesting feature - wouldn't paint or get rid of it.

• partim
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'd get a quote on removing the stone veneer. If the budget does not reach that far then then the suggestion of dark gray stone paint and light gray stucco is a good one.

Don't leave it as it is. There are lots of homes in our neighborhood with that style of stone. The peachy paint tones look the worst with it. One house in our neighborhood looks like flesh, really awful. But it still looks bad no matter what color paint is used.

• PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    7 years ago
    Is it real stone ? Or just a stone facade? I had a conversation about this yesterday on one of my homes. There's a function to your stone. It's called Water Table. It can be made of real stone or brick. And it serves a purpose of not letting the water drip into your foundation. You don't need that much. But def a trim would be needed. I agree with the people that said keep the stone. Don't paint it. But paint your home. A lighter shade of gray to match the stone. And fix the trimmings. Doors. Garage. Add a chandelier. And landscaping.
  • partim
    7 years ago

This is veneer attached to the house, not a stone wall built with full-depth stones. You can tell because of the way that long narrow stones are arranged. Some of them are set at angles, which would not be possible if you were building a wall of these stones. For example, there are some to the right of the door in the middle of that section.

That's one of the things that I find unattractive about the stone.

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

I don't think painted stone ever looks good. I agree with the suggestions to paint your house in a complimentary color with the stone. Also, change the landscaping in the planter bordering the driveway would help.

• partim
    7 years ago

Painted exterior stone. I like the look.

HOUSE NO. 7 Isle of Tiree, Scotland · More Info

Painted brick is more common.

Maureen Residence · More Info
    Easy to find examples of painted interior stone.
    Mix it up · More Info

KitchenLab · More Info

Transitional Living Room · More Info

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/paint-over-exterior-rock-facade-house-32396.html 

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-ugly-stone-facade-exterior-1970s-31690.html

• m_seunarine1204
    7 years ago

I am dealing with something very similar now with my grandmother's home. She had us paint all between the rocks years ago...lol. But now I'm stuck. I want to redo the exterior for her just to refresh. HELP!!!!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES