Baseboard moulding help needed
Mary Grant Justin
Hi, not sure the best way to end this baseboard. This is what contractor came up with but it looks a little strange to me. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
I agree, it does look a bit strange. I would either take the rounded end off, extend the vertical corner molding to the bottom, paint it the same as the rest and have the base molding die into it. Or take the corner piece off, end the base molding with a 45 degree angle at the edge of the wall and leave the vertical molding as is.
January 2, 2013 at 3:28pm     
Wow Great Place
That does look rather strange. I'd ask him to make that vertical piece (the unstained one) a little chunkier, then have it continue down to meet the raised floor. Then, the baseboard on the higher step could end flush against this chunky vertical piece....clear as mud? And of course, paint it all out...I'm suggesting a chunkier piece of trim as the vertical "end" so that the baseboard does not stick out deeper than the vertical trim....gosh I wish I knew photoshop.....
January 2, 2013 at 3:29pm   
Wow Great Place
LOL great minds think alike! Although "on the spot" explained things more clearly!
January 2, 2013 at 3:30pm   
lionnessone
The contractor came up with that, they should be ashamed of themselves. Take that corner cap off, looks unfinished. Consider stopping at the top of the stairs, not around to the other side. Take down the brown corner board and replace it with one that will stop at the top of the stairs and paint it the same colour of the baseboards. Treat it like a door entrance. [houzz=Landing][houzz=Volunteer Park Residence 07]
January 2, 2013 at 3:53pm   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Have the upper baseboard do a return at the end. Take the corner piece all the way to the floor and paint to match rest of trim.
January 2, 2013 at 4:21pm   
Linda
Yikes! Talk about eye-catching detail...just not in a good way. I would do as described above with removing that corner piece, extending the vertical and then butting up to it with the base.

I was looking at the lower baseboard and shoe and noticed that the installer had put a return on the baseboard which is probably the right way of doing it. But, it looks like the shoe also has a return. I would have thought that the shoe return should have continued around the corner to butt against the tile or just have had the end piece angled back. Opinions?
January 2, 2013 at 4:28pm   
Mary Grant Justin
Thank you all for your help. This has been quite a challenging undertaking. I thought when I hired these folks to do my remodel that they would have all the design ideas. Let's just say I could not have gone this far without all the help from all of you on Houzz. I'm not a designer but sometimes I think they are doing some of the things I've asked for, for the very first time and I've had to do the research such as this to resolve an issue. It's been a bit strange..... And a very good lesson for me. Today, we had a tile guy here that I couldn't even communicate with as he didn't speak english! Very frustrating.

Right now I'm leaning towards your suggestion in taking the corner cap off. Buying another piece of the corner board as I don't think we have enough left and bringing down to stair. The wainscoting and trim/corner will all be painted the same color.

Deborah, what is a return water the end?
January 2, 2013 at 11:55pm   
jansgirl
I can't believe they did this!!! The molding should have ended at at the vertical piece (which SHOULD have extended to the floor. Novices at best. You get them to fix this on their dime if you can! ahh but even then they might not do it right!!
January 3, 2013 at 12:03am   
Mary Grant Justin
Oh, you wouldn't believe some of the stuff they have done....
January 3, 2013 at 2:07am   
Mary Grant Justin
I don't think we can extend the vertical piece to the floor as the end of the step lines up with the wall and this is where the problem is. The vertical piece wraps on both sides of the wall but once you get to the step that side is gone.... I hope this makes sense.
January 3, 2013 at 2:11am   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
A return water at the end is the result of auto correct on my tablet. I hate it. It was supposed to say do a return at the end - meaning at the end of the upper baseboard as it comes into the corner board. It appears the lower baseboard already has a return. Sorry.
January 3, 2013 at 3:10am   
Mary Grant Justin
Oh, no problem Deborah. Some of the auto corrects can turn out to be pretty funny. Or in my case embarrassing. ;-). Thanks for the info.
January 3, 2013 at 7:31am   
Need help choosing baseboards, crown moulding and casings
I have 8" ceilings. I'm wondering if I use 5" baseboards...
Need help choosing baseboards and crown moulding styles
We are building a home and I need to choose crown moulding...
I need help in finding moulds to go around my fire place
I want to build my new gas log fire into my fireplace...
Need help - should we keep the crown moulding or remove it
We don't hate the crown moulding but it doesn't match...
Need curtain /blinds advise on window door combo.
I recently rented an apartment on ground floor. Most...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
10.5' by 21' sitting room
Just bought a new townhouse and the sitting room is...
Help with paint for walls in kitchen please!!
We only have a Lowes and a Sherwin Williams. Want...