Would love some painting ideas
rbohaty
Our family room and dining area have these beautiful boxes on the ceiling created by a Japanese immigrant who designed the housing area where we live. Each house has their own "signature" pattern so I don't want to take them down. However, I'm not sure how to paint the ceiling, crown molding and walls to add color to the room and make the ceiling pop.
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
My personal opinion is that the special boxes are features in their own right and I would not try to jazz up the ceiling. I'd rather see you paint the walls a darker colour so they will have the same visual weight as the boxes. Then your ceiling will end up being a nice contrast (without having to do anything to change the ceiling). Maybe something like Benjamin Moore HC-92 WHEELING NEUTRAL or HC-83 GRANT BEIGE or CC-440 CAPILANO BEIGE would give you a nice effect on the walls, and be a nice complement to your wood tones.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 5:51PM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
What's really bothering me is the country style staircase, which is a total distraction from the rest of the architecture & features. I agree with Cynthia on the darker walls, but perhaps the ceiling should be the lightest tint of the walls, & the walls under the chair rail darker than the main walls. I would personally paint the trim (including the chair rail) a creamy white, including the ceiling corner "parentheses". The draperies should be simpler, lighter, more graceful.
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:07PM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
You're absolutely right, Oasis. I was averting my eyes from that stained wood trim without consciously realizing it. Defnitely it should be painted, and the staircase too.
2 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:10PM
Home Preppers
The above ideas are great! Currently the fan boxes look out of place because there is too much contrast between box and the ceiling. I would like to see the ceiling tinted. The chair rail and railings are also distracting to me. It would be nice to see them painted.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:18PM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
If budget allows, I would like to see the current spindles replaced with something more simple & elegant.
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 6:20PM
House of Holland - TX
How about a neutral metallic paint treatment to bring a bit of glow and shimmer to highlight the box? Easily found at Lowes or Home Depot...
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 8:14PM
rbohaty
I like the color selection ideas from Cynthia. I'm going to get some samples to put on the walls. I'm concerned about the contrast between a creamy white ceiling with a dark fan box. I'm wondering about the chair rail and the staircase rail. If I paint those a complementary creamy white to the wall color, would I have to paint all of the trim around the windows and doors? Would it be better to simply remove the chair rail and paint the walls all one color or are they needed to break up the wall?
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 9:22PM
houssaon
I would paint the ceiling all one color down to the molding to soften the wood detail. See this space: Minnesota Private Residence. I would do a darker color on your walls, too. All one color, nt two, like you have now. Then see how the trim looks, since it is the same as the ceiling. Paint over the chair rail.

If you use wheeling neutral HC-92, Benjamin Moore on your walls, look at Northern Cliffs 1536 Paint fot the ceiling. Or reverse. [houzz=Sage Mountain 1488 is another color to consider for the walls.

I would see if the crown molding on the colunms can be moved to the ceiling. I'm not sure why it is where is now. Looks out of place to me.
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 10:03PM
suzstag
I wouldn't touch those fabulous pieces but possibly look at painting the ceiling Sherwin Williams shaker beige. It will help soften the rooms. I'd also add dimmers to your switches if you don't already have then installed. This will help create an intimate ,warm feeling.
Good luck
0 Likes   January 7, 2013 at 5:38PM
Would love some ideas for exterior paint scheme for my house!
We just moved into this house and I can't stand the...
shadizzy
Would love some ideas for wall paint color
Having a terrible time picking a paint color. There...
susu827
Would LOVE some new paint color ideas for my DINING, LIVING and FOYER
I am tired of the gold and red in my dining room, living...
jeancannon
LOVE this bath - would love to try some ideas for our bath renovation
Just love this bathroom - have visited it several times!...
anujamathur
Would love to have some more ideas
I am setting up a brand new kitchen in my house. I...
mayworth
need help with my living room
Hi! I was hoping to get some input re: my living room....
alsad
Need Help choosing a glaze for cabinets and color of paint for walls!
Hi everyone! All my walls are white. I want to...
angbates
Pickled oak cabinets has me in a pickle over wall color!
I have pickled oak cabinets and want to paint my walls...
terrilk
Need help blowing up photos.
Hello Friends. Does anyone have good recommendations...
massimigliano
Painting an IKEA vanity
I'm putting an IKEA Godsmorgan vanity into my kid's...
mamabossinthelbc