Wall color for bathroom
gracepaisley
We just moved into this beautiful house, and this bathroom's colors are not my style. I plan to remove the strip of wood across the wall, as well as the beveled mirror borders at the tops and bottoms of all three mirrors. The window faces north, so I'd like to maximize natural light by painting the walls and door a light neutral color. I have no idea whether to go with a warm or cool, based on the colors of the counter, floor tile, shower tile, and maple cabinet. Maybe I'm making something simple into a difficult task, but I don't know much about painting, and there are so many colors to choose from. I need some advice, please.
smldesigns
I'd be careful removing the beveled glass unless you know how the bevels are attached. I have two thoughts - one is go with the tan or beige that is currently on the wall or something like Ben Moore's Natural Wicker (which I have used with a maple vanity. Or if want a lot of contrast you could use Ben Moore's Shaker Beige (which will darken the room). Then I'd get a bunch of fluffy white towels and hang them where you removed the chair rail.
   January 2, 2013 at 6:19PM
gracepaisley
Thanks for the warning about the beveled glass. I saw some silicone sticking out of the bottom pieces and thought it would be easy to remove, but I realize that the top ones are adhered with something else. I'll consult with my house fixer-upper expert about it. I like both of the Benjamin Moore colors, thanks! Both are much lighter than what's currently in there. I had to look up what a chair rail was. Thanks for helping me expand my interior design vocabulary! I'll post before and after pics.
   January 2, 2013 at 9:32PM
Natalie
Hi---I know you asked for a light neutral, but I just don't see it here. I'm thinking a mink with an orchid undertone---it will work well with the floor, wood, and counter and compliment the golden hues of the tile. Pic for inspiration and color and how it works/looks with warm hues-rich and welcoming... Grizzly Bear Brown by Benjamin Moore... Good Luck! [houzz=
]
   January 2, 2013 at 9:47PM
ReFRESHED Designs
Hello. I know you're going to have so much fun playing with your new house. Another paint color that may go well in here is by valspar at Lowe's... it's called Au Lait Ole'...kind of a coffee/creamer shade. I ave several clients where we've used this in bathrooms with similar palettes as yours. And I echo the other poster's suggestion of fluffy white towels.
   January 2, 2013 at 9:51PM
Tres McKinney Design
I agree with Natalie. But if the Grizzly Bear brown is too dark for you then go for a more midd range mocha brown. A darker color wii help pull it all together.
From the photos it looks like the sink counter is a more rosy beige, the shower tile for golden and the floor more taupe so you need a color that helps unify the various shades.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 10:00PM
kathleen MK
You could paint that chair rail. Match the window woodwork cover the pink with your favorite bright color or paint it and the whole wall a light warm neutral. North window won't get bright warm light so stay light.
   January 2, 2013 at 10:00PM
smldesigns
Ben Moore Shaker Beige is mocha once you see a lot of it.
   January 3, 2013 at 6:35AM
sweetwist
Hi, I had the same situation with my masterbath about 4 years ago. I did not check the color swatch
I choose under different lighting conditions....so a reminder to get big swatches to see how they
look next to all surface with both natural and artificial light. Have fun.
   January 3, 2013 at 6:44AM
suzstag
Have you considered refacing the vanity cabinets to more of a chocolate finish and use a light soft spa like blue on the walls?
   January 7, 2013 at 5:43PM
suzstag
Also updating the hardware with also help bring the bath up to date along with the paint.
   January 7, 2013 at 5:44PM