Need ideas for outdoor patio area

suepapinsearsJanuary 3, 2013
We want to design an extension to the existing porch. What's covered by roofing is too narrow to put a dining table. I want the table to be protected from the elements, in that I want a roof of sorts. We don't necessarily want that roof to span the entire porch, as we think it would make it too dark inside of the house. The limestone wall to the left of the porch was built to hide the pool pump and reduce the noise. Probably the porch extension would come out that far. Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Red Rock Pools and Spas and Red Rock Contractors
Not sure what questions or answers you are looking for. You could surely extend the patio. You will have to rework a lot of the roof in order to make sure it ties in properly. I am not sure where you are located. It looks (from your roof pitch) that you might be in an area that receives snow. If snow is not a concern, you could work in a flat roof section with large skylights to keep from the patio from being to deep and dark.
    Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 6:32AM
Interiors International, Inc.
Adding to the roof would be costly and cumbersome looking. Have you considered an arbor with transparent or translucent panels between the ceiling joists. Look on houzz search arbors. I'm sorry I do not have a picture but have seen them on this site. They really add a great look to a patio.
    Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 6:32AM
suepapinsears
The house is in central Texas. It snows, but not often. My dilema is that I want a roof, but you both right in that it will look dark and cumbersome. What I don't like about transparent panels is that they tend to look so dirty after awhile. I will look for arbor pictures....
    Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 6:50AM
Have you already looked into Sunsetter Awnings? No, I don't work for them, but I'm considering them for my backyard. The awnings are retractable so in bad weather you just pull them in, and then put them out when you need the shade. Here's a link: http://www.sunsetter.com/?srccode=2511&srccode2=21743S186631750
    Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 6:54AM
luckey85
Good suggestion for shade, we have one over our deck and love it, but it should be noted that these retractable shades are not meant to be deployed during rain and can be damaged if left out when it is windy.
    Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 8:30AM
luckey85
Oops, please excuse olldbobbi, if I had read your comment more carefully I would have seen that you covered the bad weather aspect and that my comment was redundant, but I do second your idea. The retractable awning is a great way to have shade when you need it but not permanently reduce the amount of light coming into the house like a porch structure would.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 8:39AM
Christine
Pergola from the pitched roof to the second column. Clad the base in stone and keep the pillars white
    Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 8:49AM
suepapinsears
We considered "pavilion from pitched roof to first column, pergola from there to second column, lattice type columns. I guess my main "want" is to keep this dining table outside in all weather, and the only way to do that without ruining the table is to keep it under a roof.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 10:10AM
Need help selecting outdoor furniture for a large patio area surrounding a pool.
Need a dining set that seats atleast 8. We already...
smb042877
Need ideas for outdoor patio-deck and landscape
I am trying first and foremost to come up with a layout...
alexkirkland
Need ideas for outdoor kitchen cabinet material
We live in Massachusetts and we have a large variety...
deerfarm
Septic and vent area in patio- need ideas to cover these eyesores!
We are in the process of creating a 16x40 patio in...
tayloralane
Beautiful space for patio/outdoor kitchen: Need Help!!
we have a beautiful natural landscaped back yard and...
ianmcphail
Fireplace surround
We are in the process of choosing new tile for our...
kraa6
HELP! In need of personality! (My living room)
So, we've just remodeled (we are still working on trim...
acmonroe83
Outdated Kitchen
Just closed on a home last week and making improvements...
Katelyn Galvin
Help with paint color
I'd appreciate some feedback and advice on a paint...
gracelyngignac
Stucco Remediation
Any suggestions for good Stucco Remediation contractors...
Kahuna Al